CZ POLL Would you want Kellen Moore hired as head coach if he were to leave after the season?

Would you want Kellen Moore hired as head coach if he were to leave after the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
And, I think Quinn gets a HC job next season. His team fell off a cliff in Atlanta after that Super Bowl collapse, but he did get them there and has been a very good d coordinator. He’ll get another shot pretty quickly.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you are making assumptions here.

I am not pushing for hiring Moore or keeping McCarthy.

I created this poll because I thought it was a perfect time to gauge the opinions of the community right now on a six game winning streak because I felt it was the best time for a level playing field of fan emotions between the two coaches.

If I had waited until the Cowboys lost a game (or more), then it would have influenced the results because of those losses.

Right now, it is a fair question to ask and, more importantly, an interesting question for everyone here.

When the season is over no matter the result, I will likely post the same poll again so we can see how fan sentiment changed or if it even changed at all over time.
Intriguing. It's similar to the perceptual dilemma about the half full cup vs. the half empty cup.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I think Moore’s going to be a really good coach in the NFL for a really long time.

McCarthy is just a good coach.

I’d roll the dice on Moore because he’s uniquely good at something that’s very hard to find. Even knowing how steep a learning curve he’s still got to climb. It wasn’t long ago people used the same argument for him to not be elevated to OC, and I think that transition was actually riskier than HC would be.

That said, it’s a great point that Dallas isn’t a good place for a first time HC. We went through it with Campo and Garrett both, and Jerry was a handful both times. They’d need to commit to developing KM properly if they do it. And we’d need Quinn on board snd committed to the program. I’m not sure how realistic that would be.

I think McCarthy, who has virtually the same credentials as Sean Peyton, is at least a Very Good Coach. He's in the Peyton, Tomlin, Harbaugh tier of coaching, which is elite some years.

Maybe Moore will be that. But Moore has spent 2 years under Garrett and will have spent another 2 under McCarthy. I'd like him to be seasoned a bit more before I give him the keys to run the whole thing.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd rather opt for Kellen to stay put at OC but if he felt compelled to leave, I'd wish him well. He has zero experience as a head coach.

Not so good, particularly for me, to consider having Kellen at something he's new to, rather than being exceptional as this team's OC.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be fair though, this is different in the sense that the team is doing great right now so there is no perception that Kellen Moore is trying to undermine McCarthy in any way like there was with Garrett and Phillips.
The team is doing well because Moore is a class act and doesn't have a huge contract and a wink wink from Jerry.....I like Moore, but I don't think he's ready yet.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
@CouchCoach brought up a scenario recently I hadn’t considered.

He suggested that it was possibly part of the agreement initially that if McCarthy regained an interest around the league for other HC position since working under Jethro wasn’t an optimum or ideal situation for him that he might step away or Jethro buy him out early in his contract.

I don’t recall every detail CC laid out but I thought it was an interesting insight . And could open the door for Moore to take over without any hostility and McC get what he ultimately would want . A win win all around .

Perhaps Coach could shed some light on his thought?

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
My point exactly. I’m more apt to follow other teams owners and GM’s who are pursuing him.

They may, or may not, get what they are looking for. No way I give him the HC job in Dallas over MM right now. At the end of McCarthy's contract, I might feel different.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think McCarthy, who has virtually the same credentials as Sean Peyton, is at least a Very Good Coach. He's in the Peyton, Tomlin, Harbaugh tier of coaching, which is elite some years.

Maybe Moore will be that. But Moore has spent 2 years under Garrett and will have spent another 2 under McCarthy. I'd like him to be seasoned a bit more before I give him the keys to run the whole thing.
Im not sure we’d of put McC in that class . He certainly wasn’t heavily pursued around the league sitting out an entire season with only one other potential interview in NY.

Now his success in Dallas may be elevating him and rightfully so. And could possibly open the door for him at other franchises.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I didn't like the McCarthy hire. I still don't all that much but you don't fire a guy who is having success for an unknown entity. If these are the only two options then stick with McCarthy and have him find you another OC. He did just fine in finding Quinn.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hers the interest around the league. Could Moore be the next McVay. That’s what will make him a hot commodity.

And could we be missing out on him if we let him go. That’s our conundrum.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Moore’s going to be a really good coach in the NFL for a really long time.

McCarthy is just a good coach.

I’d roll the dice on Moore because he’s uniquely good at something that’s very hard to find. Even knowing how steep a learning curve he’s still got to climb. It wasn’t long ago people used the same argument for him to not be elevated to OC, and I think that transition was actually riskier than HC would be.

That said, it’s a great point that Dallas isn’t a good place for a first time HC. We went through it with Campo and Garrett both, and Jerry was a handful both times. They’d need to commit to developing KM properly if they do it. And we’d need Quinn on board snd committed to the program. I’m not sure how realistic that would be.
Okay, I'll bite.
By your reasoning, they could have offered the HC position to him back then. :D

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kellen as a HC scares me - too much of an unknown if he can be a leader of men.

MM as a HC w/ Kellen as assistant HC/OC makes me very happy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I didn't like the McCarthy hire. I still don't all that much but you don't fire a guy who is having success for an unknown entity. If these are the only two options then stick with McCarthy and have him find you another OC. He did just fine in finding Quinn.
But was this job really an unknown entity? Most thought this was a playoff caliber team underachieving with a top 10 caliber offense and QB. Just needed playmakers on defense.

I’d of considered this opening here to be one of the more favorable teams to take over with only one caveat , our dysfunctional ownership.

Wouid McCarthy have had this type of immediate success taking over like in NY or Jacksonville for example? Not very likely.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
But was this job really an unknown entity? Most thought this was a playoff caliber team underachieving with a top 10 caliber offense and QB. Just needed playmakers on defense.

I’d of considered this opening here to be one of the more favorable teams to take over with only one caveat , our dysfunctional ownership.

Wouid McCarthy have had this type of immediate success taking over like in NY or Jacksonville for example? Not very likely.

The job is not an unknown entity. Moore is. I mean why fire McCarthy who is having success just to keep Moore when no one knows if Moore will have the same level of success as McCarthy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite.
By your reasoning, they could have offered the HC position to him back then. :D
They could have but there wasn’t a need to. He wasn’t being pursued as a hot commodity.

Thats the only thing that’s turning up the dial now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The job is not an unknown entity. Moore is. I mean why fire McCarthy who is having success just to keep Moore when no one knows if Moore will have the same level of success as McCarthy.
Because we’re looking down the road. And we must also feel that Moore’s presence is a major factor to our success and development of Dak and his success on offense which is our strength and force leading us to where we are.

I’m not sure what we credit McCarthy for specifically at this point . It’s not his offense . He doesn’t call the plays . All we’ve seen thus far is questionable 4th down decisions , poor time clock Mgmt and unbelievable analytical maneuvering.

Basically we’ve overcome him thus far .

Status
Not open for further replies.