WoW - Favre wants release from Packers!

JRid21

Reaction score
Michael Smith just said on ESPN that he would expect a team with a similar system so he didn't think Baltimore was an option. He then said from what he has heard Tavaris Jackson has been excellent this offseason and is picking up the offense well so he doesn't think Minnesota either. He said his teams he though possible were Tampa Bay b/c Gruden loves quarterbacks and veterans and the Commanders because Jim Zorn's system is Holmgren's basically. He then explained that he said the Commanders because Jason Campbell could benefit from sitting on the bench behind Favre for a year.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
JRid21;2141908 said:
Jim Zorn's system is Holmgren's basically. He then explained that he said the Commanders because Jason Campbell could benefit from sitting on the bench behind Favre for a year.
I'd love to see Favre go to Wash, even if it did take Campbell off the field.

JRid21

Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678/Sources:packers-won't-release-Favre

A Brett Favre comeback plan? Looks more like a backup plan

The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers has worked as the team's starter for the last five months and Green Bay has been operating under that assumption since Favre announced his retirement in the beginning of March. Favre re-affirmed his decision to retire at the end of March.

"The finality of (Favre's) decision to retire was accepted by the organization," the team said in a statement released Friday. "At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team."

Green Bay would likely trade Favre before releasing him, sources indicate. The team has the cap space to take on Favre's huge salary, but it would rather deal him than give him up for nothing, if those were the two options.

Friday's letter asking for his release is just the latest in what has been quite a soap opera involving Favre and the team this offseason.

As word of his desire to play leaked out, the team has treated the news largely as hearsay, as this is not the first time this offseason that Favre has made such a request.

In late March during the NFL Owners Meeting, Favre informed the team he wanted to play again, multiple sources have told FOXSports.com. Not only did he insist he was returning, both head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson agreed that he still had something left and they would welcome him back. Despite the fact that those close to Favre have stated Thompson did not want Favre back, Thompson was the deciding factor in agreeing it was not too late to have him un-retire at that time and start for the Packers in 2008.

In fact, team brass went as far as chartering a jet to fly to Mississippi to make it official later that week. The agreement was that the NFL's all-time leading passer would return for the year but help make it easier and palatable for Rodgers, who would have to wait another season to take the helm.

The group was set for this huge move when Favre suddenly phoned the team two days before the meeting was to take place and informed McCarthy that he had changed his mind yet again and was staying retired. While team officials were stunned by Favre's reversal, they made the decision to move on and draft his replacement, a move that Favre at the time understood. The Packers selected two quarterbacks in April's draft, Louisville's Brian Brohm in the 2nd round and LSU's Matt Flynn in the 7th round.

Then, a few weeks ago, Favre phoned the team stating he had that "itch" again to play. However, since he had jilted the Packers in March, the team simply took his latest request with a grain of salt. In addition, the team has put considerable time and attention into making Rodgers comfortable as the heir apparent.

The bottom line at this point is the soap opera is unfortunately growing and likely won't die any time soon.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
JRid21;2141908 said:
Michael Smith just said on ESPN that he would expect a team with a similar system so he didn't think Baltimore was an option. He then said from what he has heard Tavaris Jackson has been excellent this offseason and is picking up the offense well so he doesn't think Minnesota either. He said his teams he though possible were Tampa Bay b/c Gruden loves quarterbacks and veterans and the Commanders because Jim Zorn's system is Holmgren's basically. He then explained that he said the Commanders because Jason Campbell could benefit from sitting on the bench behind Favre for a year.
Got to admit, this did cross my mind.... Because you KNOW Lil' Danny's considered it. ;)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
JRid21;2141908 said:

The Commanders could benefit by having Jason Campbell sitting on the bench permanently...!!!

:laugh2:

dest

Reaction score
This is great when it's happening to another team and their legend, and not us with Emmitt and Troy.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
A few months ago i was looking at the NFC and i really felt the Vikings can be a very dominate team. Good running game / Stop the run type team. The hang up in my head was the QB. That is the perfect stop for Favre. Plus, good weather.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Tampa Bay makes more sense than any other spot to me. You know how Gruden loves old, vet QBs who know the West Coast system.

MWILL

Fear the Afro
Reaction score
I hope whatever team he goes to is on Dallas sched.

I love to see Farve throw us 5-6 INT's. :laugh2:

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2141959 said:
A few months ago i was looking at the NFC and i really felt the Vikings can be a very dominate team. Good running game / Stop the run type team. The hang up in my head was the QB. That is the perfect stop for Favre. Plus, good weather.

For me, I would love to see Bret in Minnesota. I am already laughing at the thougt of seeing Favre in a purple jersey. Can you imagine the response of the Lambeau faithful when they see that :laugh2: :lmao2: :lmao:

I bet NBC would love to broadcast the Vikings at Packers game. Flex scheduling big time!:D

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
JRid21;2141916 said:
The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Priceless. Favre a backup...highest paid backup ever. :rolleyes:

GB is probably better off moving forward with the Rodgers era. And if they keep Favre (which is highly unlikely) we should look at getting Matt Flynn when they try to sneak him on their practice squad.:D

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
It's quite unfortunate that all of Green Bay's options are bad ones.

I wonder now how much Moss resigning with the Pats really did play into Favre's retirement. GB over-performed last season and really did not do much to improve in the offseason. It's possible that Favre was more frustrated than burned out. The team really hasn't made a huge free agent splash in a long time to prove that they wanna win NOW.

Reaction score
MWILL;2141995 said:
I hope whatever team he goes to is on Dallas sched.

I love to see Farve throw us 5-6 INT's. :laugh2:

I hope Farve goes to the Vikings. Vikings vs Cowboys NFC Championship game. Sounds good

cowboyz

Reaction score
it'll be baltimore or bust

no way would gb allow favre to go to minnesota or chicago. they'd rather just eat the cost.

no other teams really fit a super bowl/playoff caliber team in need of a qb to get over the hump.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyz;2142120 said:
it'll be baltimore or bust

no way would gb allow favre to go to minnesota or chicago. they'd rather just eat the cost.

no other teams really fit a super bowl/playoff caliber team in need of a qb to get over the hump.

I hope so, because I'm forced to watch a lot of their games.