WoW - Favre wants release from Packers!

joseephuss

Reaction score
Green Bay take Favre off the retired list.

They don't want him to go to another team, so they keep him on their roster and just make him the emergency QB for every game. They would have to be willing to swallow his contract for this year in order to do that and also take the PR hit that they are kind of screwing Favre as well. If Favre fought this by moping or something, then GB can basically do what Tampa did with Keyshawn and Philly did with TO. He is still on the team, but just not welcome around. They still get paid, but that is it.

That would take some major ones to take that approach, but I believe it is within the rules for Green Bay to do that. They are not obligated to trade or release Favre just because that is what he wants.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2141802 said:
Where does it say they have to put him back on their roster?

Come on. Do you honestly believe that the league would allow the Packers to retain the guys rights, deny him the chance to play elsewhere and not count his salary against the cap?

The best the Packers can hope for is a trade which would definitely be contingent on Favre's willingness to go to that team.

The Packers are in a situation where they can't win. Nobody is going to trade for him without his say-so and they cannot refuse him the chance to play. I suppose if the Packers wanted to be really spiteful they could just hold onto him until the very last moment before releasing him, effectively slowing down his ability to fit into his new team.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Mansta54;2141820 said:
Maybe, but the Pack have to be able to fit his salary on the roster...

Not his 12 million, though Mansta. Once he's released he can sign for any amount. If he truly wants to play ball, then he's going to have to "play ball". Not many teams have 12 mill in cap space (atleast not any real contenders). This isn't about money though, for Favre. He wants another ring. His best shot is with Minnesota and whatever they can afford.

Mansta54

Reaction score
joseephuss;2141823 said:
Green Bay take Favre off the retired list.

They don't want him to go to another team, so they keep him on their roster and just make him the emergency QB for every game. They would have to be willing to swallow his contract for this year in order to do that and also take the PR hit that they are kind of screwing Favre as well. If Favre fought this by moping or something, then GB can basically do what Tampa did with Keyshawn and Philly did with TO. He is still on the team, but just not welcome around. They still get paid, but that is it.

That would take some major ones to take that approach, but I believe it is within the rules for Green Bay to do that. They are not obligated to trade or release Favre just because that is what he wants.

This will NEVER happen tho.. Never!!!!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;2141825 said:
Come on. Do you honestly believe that the league would allow the Packers to retain the guys rights, deny him the chance to play elsewhere and not count his salary against the cap?

The best the Packers can hope for is a trade which would definitely be contingent on Favre's willingness to go to that team.

The Packers are in a situation where they can't win. Nobody is going to trade for him without his say-so and they cannot refuse him the chance to play. I suppose if the Packers wanted to be really spiteful they could just hold onto him until the very last moment before releasing him, effectively slowing down his ability to fit into his new team.

I said I stand corrected that I didn't see it in original article and yes after his I'm don't know if I want to play anymore act the last few seasons I keep him and try to trade him first.

Mansta54

Reaction score
skinsscalper;2141829 said:
Not his 12 million, though Mansta. Once he's released he can sign for any amount. If he truly wants to play ball, then he's going to have to "play ball". Not many teams have 12 mill in cap space (atleast not any real contenders). This isn't about money though, for Favre. He wants another ring. His best shot is with Minnesota and whatever they can afford.

Oh yeah, for sure but I was saying the Pack would have to be able to fit his salary onto their roster.

1fisher

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2141832 said:
I said I stand corrected that I didn't see it in original article and yes after his I'm don't know if I want to play anymore act the last few seasons I keep him and try to trade him first.

someone is a little slow yeag.... they don't get it!

the like to ..... :horse:

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I just want to see this end badly for everyone involved ... Favre, the Packers, whichever team ends up with him, Rodgers, Packer fans, Goodell, McCarthy, John Madden, Peter King, Chris Mortensen, Hattiesburg High ...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;2141815 said:
If I'm the Packers is put him back on the roster and wait to who offers a trade before releasing him.

They'll get no takers. Nobody will give them anything for a player they know wants out and they know the Packers don't want. Favre's next step would be to start working out at the team's facilities. They can't legally stop him from doing that.

What they will get is a media backlash for their transparent motives and what some will interpret as 'mistreating' the franchise's greatest player.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Mansta54;2141836 said:
Oh yeah, for sure but I was saying the Pack would have to be able to fit his salary onto their roster.

I wonder what the salary cap impact of having Favre on the Packers roster is at this point or if the un-retire him. They probably have some portion of his bonus money already counting toward their cap for this year as is.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2141814 said:
The part I disagree with is that "no one will trade for him". Why wouldn't they?

Even if you sign him to a multi-year deal, do you want the distinct possibility of having to deal with this same circus after every season? He's said he only wants to play one more year, anyway, but can you believe anything he says?

Cook's letter did suggest that Favre's accomplishments for the franchise merited the team honoring his request to be released, also asking that the action be taken "with no strings attached." Favre does not want to be traded, sources said, because he wants the freedom of choice to play for any other franchise.

Puhleeeeez. Farve's accomplishments for the franchise? How about the contracts he signed to play for the Pack? How about the multiple millions he's been paid to perform? Give me a break. I bet he wants to pick where he plays. I'm sure Green Bay does too. Grow up, Brett.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Mansta54;2141836 said:

IIRC they still have that space. They didn't seem to be falling all over themselves to spend up that cap space void that Favre left behind. Of the "contenders" for a Championship Green Bay is probably the only one with that kind of space. Kind of scary if Rodgers ends up being the real deal. 12 million in cap space can buy quite a bit of "playmaker" on an open market.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
YoMick;2141718 said:
Here is what is clear to me.

Favre announces retirement because McC and TT told him he would have to WIN the starting QB job this season.

Now he wants out.

Doubt it. I think they are ready to move on. While I'm sure they wouldn't mind having Farve as a QB, but with Aaron Rodgers riding the bench for four years and they need to figure out what they have before he becomes a free agent. Farve coming back to play is just prolonging the inevitable. He could keep coming back until he is in his 40s.

I think the Pack is making a smart move by not letting him return. If they were smart, they will release him from his contract. (though I would say he could seek a trade, and see what they can get in return!)

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2141814 said:
You guys aren't getting it. Sure, he has to be active again for the Pack to trade him, but just because he asks for it doesn't mean he gets it. Otherwise, players who were unhappy with their contracts would just "retire" and then ask for a release, when they'd be a free agent. It doesn't work like that. He's under contract, and he's only going to be free if they do him a favor.

The part I disagree with is that "no one will trade for him". Why wouldn't they?

I think you and many others are missing the point.

Do the Packers have to accept his reinstatement?

Yes

Do the Packers have to release him?

No. But to not release him means they have to pay him and his salary counts around $12M against their cap.

It is the Packers choice to keep him on their roster which means pay him the salary per his signed contract and accept all the distractions that go a long with him sitting on the bench.

Or they release him of his contract thus allowing him to sign with any team he chooses.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
1fisher;2141837 said:
someone is a little slow yeag.... they don't get it!

the like to ..... :horse:

Or possibly someone was typing his response while the other person's post was added.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2141842 said:
They'll get no takers. Nobody will give them anything for a player they know wants out and they know the Packers don't want. Favre's next step would be to start working out at the team's facilities. They can't legally stop him from doing that.

What they will get is a media backlash for their transparent motives and what some will interpret as 'mistreating' the franchise's greatest player.

Um, remember when the Skins sent a pick to the Jags for Brunell, even though everyone knew he'd be released? They didn't want him to hit the open market or compete against other teams for his (lousy) services. Same thing could happen with Favre, esp if the Pack have low demands.

Woods

Reaction score
bbgun;2141856 said:
Um, remember when the Skins sent a pick to the Jags for Brunell, even though everyone knew he'd be released? They didn't want him to hit the open market or compete against other teams for his (lousy) services. Same thing could happen with Favre, esp if the Pack have low demands.

I just hope if Favre returns he ends up with an AFC team.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
stasheroo;2141842 said:

So they let Farve bend them over? He has screwed them around for several years so who cares if they get media backlash. They should get something out of deal instead of a royal screwing.

If it was Romo would you just let him go to Wash, NY or Philly and have to play him twice every year?