WoW - Favre wants release from Packers!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;2141856 said:
Um, remember when the Skins sent a pick to the Jags for Brunell, even though everyone knew he'd be released? They didn't want him to hit the open market or compete against other teams for his (lousy) services. Same thing could happen with Favre, esp if the Pack have low demands.

Did Brunell have a $12 million contract?

Was Brunell flirting with retirement for several years?

If a trade happens, you can tell me I was wrong but I just can't see that happening.

In fact, I think he gets his release fairly quickly before this thing gets any uglier.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
bbgun;2141856 said:
Um, remember when the Skins sent a pick to the Jags for Brunell, even though everyone knew he'd be released? They didn't want him to hit the open market or compete against other teams for his (lousy) services.
For that matter, what about Pacman?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;2141859 said:
So they let Farve bend them over? He has screwed them around for several years so who cares if they get media backlash. They should get something out of deal instead of a royal screwing.

That's happening anyway. Favre's already screwed them by going back on his decision to retire. At this point, they either allow a bad situation to escalate, or they move on like they said they were.

Yeagermeister said:
If it was Romo would you just let him go to Wash, NY or Philly and have to play him twice every year?

If the Cowboys didn't want him, why should they have a say in where he goes?

I would try to take the emotion out of it and do the most rational thing.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
nyc;2141850 said:
Doubt it. I think they are ready to move on. While I'm sure they wouldn't mind having Farve as a QB, but with Aaron Rodgers riding the bench for four years and they need to figure out what they have before he becomes a free agent. Farve coming back to play is just prolonging the inevitable. He could keep coming back until he is in his 40s.

I think the Pack is making a smart move by not letting him return. If they were smart, they will release him from his contract. (though I would say he could seek a trade, and see what they can get in return!)

If I were the Packers I'd get with Brett and ask him exactly who he wants to play for. The Packers have been loyal to Favre since they aquired him. They've put up with his retirement shuck and jive for about 5 years now. If he wants to exit with any class, he let's the Pack know that he wants to go to team "X" and helps them facilitate a trade so that the Packers don't walk away with nothing and Favre continues his career. The Packers need to move on. I wish we would have started the "Groom Aikman's replacement" campaign 3 years before we actually did. I don't blame them for wanting to surge forward.

Favre needs to dump the "it's all about me" gig and be amicable about parting ways rather than the "my people will contact your people" ****** bag route.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
bbgun;2141856 said:
Um, remember when the Skins sent a pick to the Jags for Brunell, even though everyone knew he'd be released? They didn't want him to hit the open market or compete against other teams for his (lousy) services. Same thing could happen with Favre, esp if the Pack have low demands.

How willing is Favre to go to any team. He doesn't have to negotiate a lower payday and finding an extra Brett Favre salary in the couch cushions isn't the easiest thing to do.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
skinsscalper;2141864 said:
If I were the Packers I'd get with Brett and ask him exactly who he wants to play for. The Packers have been loyal to Favre since they aquired him. They've put up with his retirement shuck and jive for about 5 years now. If he wants to exit with any class, he let's the Pack know that he wants to go to team "X" and helps them facilitate a trade so that the Packers don't walk away with nothing and Favre continues his career. The Packers need to move on. I wish we would have started the "Groom Aikman's replacement" campaign 3 years before we actually did. I don't blame them for wanting to surge forward.

Favre needs to dump the "it's all about me" gig and be amicable about parting ways rather than the "my people will contact your people" ****** bag route.

:hammer:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2141864 said:
If I were the Packers I'd get with Brett and ask him exactly who he wants to play for. The Packers have been loyal to Favre since they aquired him. They've put up with his retirement shuck and jive for about 5 years now. If he wants to exit with any class, he let's the Pack know that he wants to go to team "X" and helps them facilitate a trade so that the Packers don't walk away with nothing and Favre continues his career.
The problem with that is what Chief says: I don't think Favre gives a damn about helping out the Packers. It's obvious from his actions that he feels they're the ones that owe him, not vice-versa.

Sad thing is, he could probably play up the "Poor me, I wanted to keep playing but they woudn't let me" angle, and his lapdogs in the media like Peter King would eat it right up and make the team the bad guys.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2141872 said:
The problem with that is what Chief says: I don't think Favre gives a damn about helping out the Packers. It's obvious from his actions that he feels they're the ones that owe him everything, not vice-versa.

You're probably right, CL. I just think Favre is completely in the wrong on this whole thing.

I put it right up there with Barry Sanders retiring two days before training camp. Come on, man! Give your team a chance to go into the draft and FA and address the need!

Same thing with Favre. He told the entire planet live on every fricking sports channel on the globe, through teary eyes, that he was done. The Packers moved on accordingly and all of a sudden Brett's crying foul. *** that guy!

Kangaroo

Reaction score
If I am Greenbay I hold on to him and trade him and let him no where near Minnesota I would just designate him as my 3rd string Clipboard carrier if I had to.

If he wants gone it be on my terms

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kangaroo;2141879 said:
If I am Greenbay I hold on to him and trade him and let him no where near Minnesota I would just designate him as my 3rd string Clipboard carrier if I had to.

If he wants gone it be on my terms

12 million for a disgruntled QB and a daily media frenzy?

Good luck with that!

playmakers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yeagermeister
So they let Farve bend them over? He has screwed them around for several years so who cares if they get media backlash. They should get something out of deal instead of a royal screwing.

I dont see how he has screwed them for years. Fact of the matter is he can still play. Last season, he lead his team to a 12-4 record I beileve(maybe 13-3) and got to the championship game. If Favre couldnt play no more than I would 100 percent agree with you. Aaron Rodgers is the only one in this mess that should be upset. Hes the one getting screwed imo. I know he retired and now unretiring can be looked upon as poor timing. I agree with that statement, but Favre is a legend and should be allowed back because of it, and because he can still play. Just imagine what Packer fans are thinking????

joseephuss

Reaction score
stasheroo;2141884 said:
12 million for a disgruntled QB and a daily media frenzy?

Good luck with that!

There is going to be a daily media frenzy no matter what the Packers do. If he is playing for another team and doing well, then every day the media will be asking why Green Bay let him go. If he goes to Minnesota and leads the Vikings to a win over Green Bay the media will be salivating. I don't think there is much the Packers can do to avoid a media frenzy at this point.

Now the $12 million cap hit is a different story. What is the cap hit for Favre right now?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
joseephuss;2141892 said:
There is going to be a daily media frenzy no matter what the Packers do. If he is playing for another team and doing well, then every day the media will be asking why Green Bay let him go. If he goes to Minnesota and leads the Vikings to a win over Green Bay the media will be salivating. I don't think there is much the Packers can do to avoid a media frenzy at this point.

Now the $12 million cap hit is a different story. What is the cap hit for Favre right now?

Not sure but if they release him they take a cap hit as well

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
playmakers;2141885 said:
Originally Posted by Yeagermeister

I dont see how he has screwed them for years. Fact of the matter is he can still play. Last season, he lead his team to a 12-4 record I beileve(maybe 13-3) and got to the championship game. If Favre couldnt play no more than I would 100 percent agree with you. Aaron Rodgers is the only one in this mess that should be upset. Hes the one getting screwed imo. I know he retired and now unretiring can be looked upon as poor timing. I agree with that statement, but Favre is a legend and should be allowed back because of it, and because he can still play. Just imagine what Packer fans are thinking????

His I don't know if I want to play anymore act when they could have had Rodgers ready or found a better qb.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;2141892 said:

Best I can tell, he's due $39 million over the next 3 years.

And I think I read that his salary for this year was $12 million.

It would make sense 12-13-14........

ologan

Reaction score
Please Jerruh.....DON'T GIT 'ER DONE!!! He can't win in Texas Stadium!

joseephuss

Reaction score
Kangaroo;2141895 said:
Not sure but if they release him they take a cap hit as well

The same cap hit they were already taking with him being retired.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
joseephuss;2141892 said:
There is going to be a daily media frenzy no matter what the Packers do.

And Favre is going to love it.

Many consider Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson as publicity hounds, but they can learn from the master.

Favre's work is subtle, but he has the same craving for the spotlight.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2141903 said:
He could only play on the road :laugh2:

I still say it has something to do with the hole in the roof.

My guess is that many years ago, some cruel uncle told young Brett a story about monsters coming through a hole in the roof.