Wow, Larry Brown and the legendary Brad Sham Rips T.O.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2477744 said:
Makes sense-ultimately, it's how players respond to coaches(not vice versa). TO, I guess, just never respected Parcells' style of play, while Key did despite all his fussing.

In today's NFL it seems more and more that the coaches have to acclimate to the players. the Giants made Coughlin change his style because the primadona players didn't like him. I guess it worked out though.

I was taught differently.

Boysboy

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2477781 said:
All I have to say is NO player is bigger than TEAM in football because you will never win a NFL championship!

You mean like how the Giants won it all last year with Plaxico Burress, who did everything he could to skip TC and 90% of their practices?

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477782 said:
In today's NFL it seems more and more that the coaches have to acclimate to the players. the Giants made Coughlin change his style because the primadona players didn't like him. I guess it worked out though.

I was taught differently.

Honestly-I don't think Coughlin "changed his style" so much. His first 3 years he had to deal with a rash of injuries. Yeah, they had a few key ones last year(Kiwinuka and Ward being 2 of them, and rookie TE Kevin Boss really had to speed up his learning curve when Shockey went down late in the year), but they had some very big ones. Strahan missed significant time in '04 and '06. Their LT missed half of the '06 season(Eli looked very skittish during this time). They had to drag LBs off the street in '05 when they were pushing for the playoffs. Eli's safety valve, Amani Toomer, missed half of the '06 season.

All in all-they were relatively healthy last year when they made their run. And they are so this year as well.

As for Coughlin "changing his style"-it was nothing more than the media doing their usual spin during the offseason, like they do every team. He's always been a very good coach-his downfall in Jax was that he was also the GM, and made some very bad decisions that got them into cap hell.

Reaction score
Boysboy;2477787 said:
You mean like how the Giants won it all last year with Plaxico Burress, who did everything he could to skip TC and 90% of their practices?

That was Shockey mostly with the drama last year... Burress just surfaced big time in 2008.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
5Countem5;2477778 said:
Dave_in-NC;2477770 said:
I hated signing Avery too but decided the same thing as with Owens. I thought this latest was funnier than it was serious. For a league that lets refs watch player fights, getting on Avery for dissing an ex-girlfriend seems a little stupid. But your point is taken.

I thought so to but hockey tries to keep a squeaky clean image. I'm a NY Rangers fan, I hated to see him go but we are playing much better hockey now. I don't know if that has any thing to do with Avery or not.
I do know getting rid of some ole timers helped, Jager being one of them.

Our offense has opened up since doing so.:)

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2477800 said:
Honestly-I don't think Coughlin "changed his style" so much. His first 3 years he had to deal with a rash of injuries. Yeah, they had a few key ones last year(Kiwinuka and Ward being 2 of them, and rookie TE Kevin Boss really had to speed up his learning curve when Shockey went down late in the year), but they had some very big ones. Strahan missed significant time in '04 and '06. Their LT missed half of the '06 season(Eli looked very skittish during this time). They had to drag LBs off the street in '05 when they were pushing for the playoffs. Eli's safety valve, Amani Toomer, missed half of the '06 season.

All in all-they were relatively healthy last year when they made their run. And they are so this year as well.

As for Coughlin "changing his style"-it was nothing more than the media doing their usual spin during the offseason, like they do every team. He's always been a very good coach-his downfall in Jax was that he was also the GM, and made some very bad decisions that got them into cap hell.

Barber (not the best example )and Strahan(sp) both said he was nasty.
Most thought if he didn't change he would lose his job.
I dunno. I know I would take him.

Boysboy

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2477814 said:
That was Shockey mostly with the drama last year... Burress just surfaced big time in 2008.

No-Burress missed almost all of TC with an injury, and then didn't practice throughout the majority of that same season b/c of that injury. Word was that he milked it, faked it, etc b/c he hated practicing.

Throughout most of that season, Eli and Burress had their fair share of miscommunications b/c they weren't on the same page due to not practicing much together.(i.e. in that Super Bowl in the 4th quarter, the Giants had a chance to go up 17-7, but Burress quit on a route with no other Pats defender around him-but they won it anyways so no harm, no foul)

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477824 said:
Barber (not the best example )and Strahan(sp) both said he was nasty.
Most thought if he didn't change he would lose his job.
I dunno. I know I would take him.

Or maybe Barber divided that locker room against TC?

Just thinking out loud-Hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm..........maybe you've convinced me to cut TO. MAYBE :)

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2477830 said:
Or maybe Barber divided that locker room against TC?

Just thinking out loud-Hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm..........maybe you've convinced me to cut TO. MAYBE :)

Theres allot of people "in the know" that said that.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477835 said:
Theres allot of people "in the know" that said that.

Honestly-I don't know what came of Tiki Barber. For one, his twin brother has been a great teammate and an overall good guy in Tampa. And two, Tiki was a very good teammate with the Giants throughout much of his career there until after losing that '05 playoff game to the Panthers. He even praised Coughlin for helping him cure his fumbling woes. Owens, OTOH, has been like that every year in his NFL career.

As for Shockey-Ernie A was warned not to draft him by other scouts. I doubt Jerry Reese would have touched him with a 10 foot pole. Shockey, from what I understand, badly flunked a psychological test.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2477846 said:
Honestly-I don't know what came of Tiki Barber. For one, his twin brother has been a great teammate and an overall good guy in Tampa. And two, Tiki was a very good teammate with the Giants throughout much of his career there until after losing that '05 playoff game to the Panthers. He even praised Coughlin for helping him cure his fumbling woes. Owens, OTOH, has been like that every year in his NFL career.

As for Shockey-Ernie A was warned not to draft him by other scouts. I doubt Jerry Reese would have touched him with a 10 foot pole. Shockey, from what I understand, badly flunked a psychological test.

Shockey is way way out there.
owens just needs to play. Catch the balls that are catchable, block like we all have seen but do it every time. Let the coaches coach, if he has an issue take it up with who ever, behind closed doors and quit the sideline antics.
He looks like a spoiled three year old. He should be embarrassed.

Problem is, he is who he is. Then he wants to complain that he's picked on by the press. If he gives them nothing, and they keep it up all NFL fans will know it's BS.

He's just to self centered to do that.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
30yrheel;2477554 said:
guys you hear on the radio, brown, larry allen, darren woodson

Three guys who don't know him and don't know anything about him other than what they heard from the media.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477864 said:
Shockey is way way out there.
owens just needs to play. Catch the balls that are catchable, block like we all have seen but do it every time. Let the coaches coach, if he has an issue take it up with who ever, behind closed doors and quit the sideline antics.
He looks like a spoiled three year old. He should be embarrassed.

Problem is, he is who he is. Then he wants to complain that he's picked on by the press. If he gives them nothing, and they keep it up all NFL fans will know it's BS.

He's just to self centered to do that.

If you held all players to the same standard that you hold Terrell Owens to, the NFL would have about 3 players.

Those "sideline antics" aren't just commonplace; they are basically the rule.

You would've had to cut Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin for doing the same things on the sidelines, only a thousand times more intense.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2477925 said:
If you held all players to the same standard that you hold Terrell Owens to, the NFL would have about 3 players.

Those "sideline antics" aren't just commonplace; they are basically the rule.

You would've had to cut Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin for doing the same things on the sidelines, only a thousand times more intense.

So you are putting Aikman in the same light as owens?
Aikman respected every one but Switzer, even then he wasn't an idiot about it.
I do barley recall problems with Gailey, still he never ever came close to being an owens. And he has multiple rings. Winning rings.

I also seem to think differently than you do. I think there are way more competitive good guys in the NFL than owens types.

Remember when Aikman used to get POed on the field at Irvin? I never heard Irvin say a word about it. Could you even fathom Romo doing that to owens?

He would be called gay ala Garcia or a wuss ala McNabb. All on national TV.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2477917 said:
Three guys who don't know him and don't know anything about him other than what they heard from the media.

You really think that? None of these guys know him? None go to Valley Ranch or the stadium?:lmao2:

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477955 said:
So you are putting Aikman in the same light as owens?
Aikman respected every one but Switzer, even then he wasn't an idiot about it.
I do barley recall problems with Gailey, still he never ever came close to being an owens. And he has multiple rings. Winning rings.

I also seem to think differently than you do. I think there are way more competitive good guys in the NFL than owens types.

Remember when Aikman used to get POed on the field at Irvin? I never heard Irvin say a word about it. Could you even fathom Romo doing that to owens?

He would be called gay ala Garcia or a wuss ala McNabb. All on national TV.

FWIW-he also called out Kyle Bohler on national tv, b/c he was doing everything he could to void the trade w/ Baltimore, which he did successfully.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2477962 said:
FWIW-he also called out Kyle Bohler on national tv, b/c he was doing everything he could to void the trade w/ Baltimore, which he did successfully.

Ya lost me.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477971 said:
Ya lost me.

Remember after the '03 season, he somehow forgot to file his FA papers, so he pretty much remained the Niners' property? The Niners had this luxury b/c it gave them the option to trade him. They attempted to do so with the Ravens(and getting a #2 in return).

However-Owens really desired to go to Philly that he did everything he could to get this trade voided and allow him to become a FA. Guess what-he was able to get the arbitration hearing IN PHILLY! Yah-what if the arbitrator ruled AGAINST Owens? Those ruthless fans would have cut his **** off!

Anyhow, during this process, he went on national tv and threw Kyle Bohler, the Ravens QB then, under the bus.

Anyways, somehow, the arbitrator ruled that there wasn't enough *bold print* in his contract with the Niners(i.e. alot of things weren't clear to understand). When all was said and done, the Eagles were able to get him for NOTHING, and it was the NINERS who had to GIVE UP their #2 to the Ravens.

So in the end, the Eagles and their fans got what they wanted in a playmaking receiver, the Ravens got decent compensation for their troubles, and the Niners got hosed.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Boysboy;2477984 said:
Remember after the '03 season, he somehow forgot to file his FA papers, so he pretty much remained the Niners' property? The Niners had this luxury b/c it gave them the option to trade him. They attempted to do so with the Ravens(and getting a #2 in return).

However-Owens really desired to go to Philly that he did everything he could to get this trade voided and allow him to become a FA. Guess what-he was able to get the arbitration hearing IN PHILLY! Yah-what if the arbitrator ruled AGAINST Owens? Those ruthless fans would have cut his **** off!

Anyhow, during this process, he went on national tv and threw Kyle Bohler, the Ravens QB then, under the bus.

Anyways, somehow, the arbitrator ruled that there wasn't enough *bold print* in his contract with the Niners(i.e. alot of things weren't clear to understand). When all was said and done, the Eagles were able to get him for NOTHING, and it was the NINERS who had to GIVE UP their #2 to the Ravens.

So in the end, the Eagles and their fans got what they wanted in a playmaking receiver, the Ravens got decent compensation for their troubles, and the Niners got hosed.

:lmao2: I'm a dumb ***, I thought you were talking about Aikman.:lmao2:

I wanted some of what you were drinking.:)

Just another reason to love owens.

Elli pulled similar crap too. Another reason I have never wanted to see him go any where.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477997 said:
:lmao2: I'm a dumb ***, I thought you were talking about Aikman.:lmao2:

I wanted some of what you were drinking.:)

Just another reason to love owens.

Elli pulled similar crap too. Another reason I have never wanted to see him go any where.

Heh-I guess being on your PC for hours can make your brain fry!:rolleyes:

But yeah-the Ravens ended up getting hosed too b/c they had a glaring hole at receiver(while the rest of their team was good to go). The FA market was already pretty stacked with good receivers, so by the time this whole soap opera played out, it was already too late as all of the receivers were already taken. They ended up finishing at 9-7 and missed the playoffs b/c of their sputtering offense. And for that matter too, they continued to struggle under Billick in subsequent seasons.

So yeah-I guess you can say Owens blew up 3 teams already.:eek: