WR Dennis Houston working with first team

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Houston, Tolbert and Lamb are the starters right now going by the article. It'd be up to the other guys to play into that #3 spot and see how long they can hold it after Gallup and Washington come back.

I can see Tolbert holding his spot, and Houston might end up as the 4 after that. Wouldn't be all bad, would it?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
LOL.

How quickly people forget that Beasely (UDFA) had his best season in Dallas with Dak.

Many of those same people also forget that they were screaming that Dez was "done" when he was in Dallas with Dak.. They also whine about Cooper's lack of production .. Now both are "Superstars" because it suits the narrative. Talk about having it both ways.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Exactly, maybe the reason they haven't brought back Beasley is because maybe they've found a younger Beasley in Dennis Houston.
I don't think Houston is a good comp for Beasley. He's a lot bigger and likely not as quick in the short area thus not as well suited for the slot role as Beasley. I think he's an outside guy. The fact that we're hearing he's already a favorite for Dak is good news. If Dak trusts him then so do I.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't think Houston is a good comp for Beasley. He's a lot bigger and likely not as quick in the short area thus not as well suited for the slot role as Beasley. I think he's an outside guy. The fact that we're hearing he's already a favorite for Dak is good news. If Dak trusts him then so do I.

By Beasley, I meant as a player that comes out of nowhere to start. I think Turpin is probably closer to Beasley. I can see why some are comparing Houston to Miles Austin, and it's probably a more fitting comp. I think if Dak is trusting him, that's great. Especially with the fact he goes up against some of the best CBs in the league daily. That's important.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Why didn't Dak do that with Brice Butler or Allen Hurns or Lance Lenoir or any of the other scrubs he's played with?

Viewing this team with rose colored glasses leads to nothing but disappointment. It's not being a hater to acknowledge that Dak needs a ton of talent around him to be successful.

So far that has been the case. Dak doesn't seem to elevate the players around him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So, let's add some more context with 2015 vs 2016. He had 75 receptions in 2016 vs 52 the year before, and for a bit more context, 37 in 2014 interestingly. Yes, he had the same TDs, but, could it not be that he was getting into the redzone often? Remember, that's the same year, 2016 where Zeke gave a grand entrance into the league. If he's setting up TDs, then that's just as valuable. So, my point remains. Oh, and let's not forget that he had 833 yards, which is the second most in his career.

...833 yards with more receptions. He had 23 less receptions in 2015 than he did in 2016, he averaged 11.4 yards in 2014, 10.3 in 2015, and 11.1 in 2016. 4 TDs in 2014 with 37 catches, 5 TDs with 52 catches, and 5 TDs with 75 catches.

His averages were similar with about any QB he had in those seasons. It didn't change much once he was in Buffalo either. Again, Beasley was already developed into what he was - he was a short yardage and safety blanket WR for the QBs he played with. Dak didn't do anything with Beasley was all that different, the only change is that in Dak's rookie season he looked for the short yards more than the medium and deep - it's not that surprising for a rookie to do this.

The biggest argument in Dak's favor is Gallup - but even then, he was a 3rd round pick, one of PFFs favorite WRs coming out of college - so it's not exactly like he was working with nothing here, Gallup was always on that Robert Woods type of talent. A good/great #2.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
...833 yards with more receptions. He had 23 less receptions in 2015 than he did in 2016, he averaged 11.4 yards in 2014, 10.3 in 2015, and 11.1 in 2016. 4 TDs in 2014 with 37 catches, 5 TDs with 52 catches, and 5 TDs with 75 catches.

His averages were similar with about any QB he had in those seasons. It didn't change much once he was in Buffalo either. Again, Beasley was already developed into what he was - he was a short yardage and safety blanket WR for the QBs he played with. Dak didn't do anything with Beasley was all that different, the only change is that in Dak's rookie season he looked for the short yards more than the medium and deep - it's not that surprising for a rookie to do this.

The biggest argument in Dak's favor is Gallup - but even then, he was a 3rd round pick, one of PFFs favorite WRs coming out of college - so it's not exactly like he was working with nothing here, Gallup was always on that Robert Woods type of talent. A good/great #2.

Well, then why is it that in 2018, Beasley also had 672? That's his 5th best tally, and his second best as a Cowboy. That's still quite good. It's a big reason he got the deal he got with Buffalo. Obviously, Josh Allen is an excellent QB, and nobody is disputing that, but he probably doesn't get the deal in Buffalo had it not been for Dak throwing the ball his way and him racking up the yards and such that he did. So, you still missed with that.

As for Gallup, yes, he's an outstanding WR, and nobody's saying he was a "devoid" of talent. He's a number 2 WR, and not a 1 WR. His most direct comparison has been to Alvin Harper. So, let me ask you this. How would Aikman have fared if his 1WR was Alvin, and Irvin wasn't here? I'm NOT saying Dak is on Aikman's level. I'm simply making the point that Harper was NOT a 1WR, as his next stops proved. Just the same, Gallup is a 2 WR. This means he draws the second best corner usually instead of the Ace, as I call the top CB. I think the difference between then and now is that CeeDee can be a 1WR whereas there wasn't a WR in 2018 that you could point to and say, that's a 1 WR until Coop got here.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
All Jerry's trying to do is win the Division and nothing more, so we MAY be ok........

But, if Houston can be a Miles Austin-type WR, then we can have a lot of success going further. He just needs to stay away from the Kardashians.

Nexx

Reaction score
Beasely was drafted?

Interesting. Thank you for proving you are just a bitter Romo fan.

Also in Robinsons best year he was targeted 80 times and only caught 54 of those passes. If you give any of those "other guys" 80 targets. I would bet money they match his production. He was a product of volume. Not some messiah quarterback.

Beasely had 98 targets in 2016 and caught 75 of them for almost the same yardage. And hes almost a foot shorter than Robinson lol.

Cobb had 80 plus targets for again. Close to the same yardage total and missed a game.

Your argument is baseless.

Now at least we understand why you hate Dak.

And please. Dont make me show you the RZ targets vs the others. lol.

Cole had one good season with Dak. Then Cole started getting Dak'd, and had two of his worst seasons with Dak throwing to him only to go Buffalo and have his best season of his career.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Cole had one good season with Dak. Then Cole started getting Dak'd, and had two of his worst seasons with Dak throwing to him only to go Buffalo and have his best season of his career.
He had the best season his career in Dallas with Dak. Then again in Buffalo. He didn’t get “Dakd” they brought in Cooper lol
You didn’t even know he was undrafted so it’s obvious to me and this entire board you’re a bitter Romo supporter. Have a great day.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Many of those same people also forget that they were screaming that Dez was "done" when he was in Dallas with Dak.. They also whine about Cooper's lack of production .. Now both are "Superstars" because it suits the narrative. Talk about having it both ways.
didn't they dazzle us with pre-draft knowledge about how dumb it would be to even think about drafting a receiver within the 1st 2 rounds...
to now only dazzle us with why the wr position will destroy our season.
you know...that one position they say you should never draft.

cowboyec

Reaction score
dennis houston is just one more reason why the pre season can not get here fast enough.
i know nothing about this kid and can't wait to watch him work.
based on camp reports...he's off to a helluva start.
good on him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think it will be better than before the Cowboys traded for Cooper but it won't be much better. There will be shades of that time IMO for the offense. Just a gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong.
So you dont much of Lamb or Gallup?

I think most teams would to have that duo ….even if one misses 3 games or so