WR issue around the league

visionary

Reaction score
I do not want to see the Cowboys enter into this sweepstakes. There are more talented players in that WR body type and skillset coming into the league every year than pretty much any other position. The college football world is full of guys who are between 5'10" and 6'3" 185-220 pounds who can run like the wind and catch the ball. Since they all start playing 7 on 7 tournaments when they're 10 years old they are coming into the league better prepared than ever to contribute from day one. Overpaying for a WR is almost as dumb as overpaying for a RB. Unless you know a guy is off the charts "special" and perhaps more importantly, you know your OC is going to use him, it makes no sense to invest heavily in that position.

Only thing worse is paying an average QB elite money

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No disrespect for the truly elite WRs in the game right now, but it seems the WR position is starting to go the way of the RB position. Teams don't want to pay top WRs because they can be found middle rounds of the draft.

If you get a game-changing WR I think you still pay them, but outside of the top 5 guys or so I'd happily move on if they insisted on top money at the position. Too many 2nd/3rd round receivers becoming stars right now. Not only that but so many guys are being impactful year 1, seems with how the college game and pro game have become more similar, along with rule changes that favor offense, the WR position has become an easier transition.
Its funny because yes receivers are coming into the league and contributing but at the same time people are still paying receivers top dollar and trading a lot of compensation for them. I think it just depends on where you are at. If you are in win now mode you probably want a Davonte Adams or a Tyreke Hill RIGHT NOW.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Its funny because yes receivers are coming into the league and contributing but at the same time people are still paying receivers top dollar and trading a lot of compensation for them. I think it just depends on where you are at. If you are in win now mode you probably want a Davonte Adams or a Tyreke Hill RIGHT NOW.
Could be, but both those guys were just traded by legitimate contenders. Meanwhile the teams who brought those guys in are not exactly organizations you want to model your team around.

Flamma

Reaction score
Could be, but both those guys were just traded by legitimate contenders. Meanwhile the teams who brought those guys in are not exactly organizations you want to model your team around.

Yeah it's puzzling. The Raiders seem to be making moves and building their team recently. What have they been doing for the past 19 years? Then the Dolphins pony up that huge contract just to prove Tua isn't any good? I guess they have to give it a shot.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well I think its worth noting though that Chiefs tried to re-sign Hill and if I'm not mistaken the Packers offered Adams a similar deal to what the Raiders gave him he just for whatever reason wanted to play for the Raiders with Carr who's a buddy of his.

Chiefs and Packers are making huge mistakes honestly but they still have the draft. They got some nice compensation but those are two great weapons.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well I think its worth noting though that Chiefs tried to re-sign Hill and if I'm not mistaken the Packers offered Adams a similar deal to what the Raiders gave him he just for whatever reason wanted to play for the Raiders with Carr who's a buddy of his.

Chiefs and Packers are making huge mistakes honestly but they still have the draft. They got some nice compensation but those are two great weapons.

Adams and Hill, they're both around 30, right? The Chiefs and Packers have multiple first round picks if I'm not mistaken. I'm guessing their mindset is to draft a rookie WR and let their star WRs decline on another team at the highest possible cost. They'll probably still do fairly well since they have outstanding QBs. Now if they were both coming off rookie deals, it would be a bit different I would think.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Perfect time to resurrect real football.

Time to feature a RB and go back to ground and pound.

Draft a bunch of road graders on OL and draft an elite RB.

Uhm when was the last time that worked?

ondaedg

Reaction score

Makes you wonder why Adams would leave Aaron Rodgers for another qb.

Loso86

Reaction score
Brown, Samuel and McLaurin are all wanting new deals and planning to not report to camp.

Deebo has said he wants around $25 million per year, maybe more now. I'm sure the others won't be far behind.

Is this going to be the new norm for top WR around the league? Adams and Hill are already around $30 million per. Hopkins and Diggs aren't that far behind.

If Ceedee has a big year, I'm sure he's gonna be going for the same.

Not sure how teams are gonna work around the cap when you could have $60-70 million tied up in QB/WR

Sure glad we traded that easily restructured contract of Coopers for such value and all that cap savings we've used.
This problem really started taking off when the idiot Jags paid Kirk so much

Flamma

Reaction score
Uhm when was the last time that worked?

Take Tennessee for example. Switch out that quarterback for some of the better ones, you got a serious SB threat. Just like if you put Tannehill on those 90s Cowboys we probably don't see 3 SBs. If any.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Adams and Hill, they're both around 30, right? The Chiefs and Packers have multiple first round picks if I'm not mistaken. I'm guessing their mindset is to draft a rookie WR and let their star WRs decline on another team at the highest possible cost. They'll probably still do fairly well since they have outstanding QBs. Now if they were both coming off rookie deals, it would be a bit different I would think.

I don't think you can replace what they did though. Hill has elite athleticism and speed that no one else in the league has. Adams has elite athleticism and physicality that no one has. I get why they did it and don't blame them but if I'm in win now I don't care what their salary is. They took steps back. At the end of the day no matter how good Mahomes and Rodgers are...they both underachieved last year and it wasn't because of Adams or Hill.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Makes you wonder why Adams would leave Aaron Rodgers for another qb.
Well there's this narrative that I guess Carr was his college roommate or friend? Either way, I like Carr and I think he's a good QB but on the surface I can do more with Rodgers....but Rodgers comes across as so douchey that it wouldn't shock me if he couldn't' stand being around the guy lol.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't think you can replace what they did though. Hill has elite athleticism and speed that no one else in the league has. Adams has elite athleticism and physicality that no one has. I get why they did it and don't blame them but if I'm in win now I don't care what their salary is. They took steps back. At the end of the day no matter how good Mahomes and Rodgers are...they both underachieved last year and it wasn't because of Adams or Hill.

I agree. But winning now is probably not going to be because of Adam and Hill either. I don't think their loss is going to impact whether or not GB or KC win a SB. Spending all that money on 30 year old WRs guarantees you nothing. I think they made the right choice.