WR issue around the league

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. But winning now is probably not going to be because of Adam and Hill either. I don't think their loss is going to impact whether or not GB or KC win a SB. Spending all that money on 30 year old WRs guarantees you nothing. I think they made the right choice.
I agree to an extent but I look at them like I look at the Cowboys. They traded for draft picks. They’ve done nothing to improve on last years team. Packers lost some of their best players. Going to be interesting to see how Rodgers deals with even taking on more of a load with less.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Speaking of wide receivers and crazy pay, everyone seems to think Cooper Kupp gets a huge deal at some point. But does he?

Kupp has two years left on his contract. He's up for extension after this upcoming season. Do you give a huge long term extension to a 29 year old WR? Or do you just let him play out his remaining two years and let him hit free agency at the age of 30? Or you could trade him after this season.

Rams play out this season with one thing to watch out for...can Kupp keep things rolling and beat NFL quality defences focused on neutralizing him. Second, are the Rams still in contention.

If the answer is no, then I would begin secretly looking for suitors who are interested in a trade for him in season or right after the season is over.

AT WR at 30 is something BB would be really looking to part company with.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The issue with WRs these days is they’re being paid like QBs just a few years ago. Only QBs price tags are going up faster.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If Ceedee has a big year, I'm sure he's gonna be going for the same.

Of course he will and they’ll be fans on this board that will want to let him walk because they don’t want to pay anyway. They believe you can just draft another guy and get good production at a low price.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
given the number of WR in question and all the WR in this draft it feels like they are overestimating their market.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Seems to me like everyone who gets paid is overpriced Except QB's not named Prescott.
None of these teams are hurting for money. One day the nfl will price it 's way to oblivion. Nothing last forever.
Enjoy the ride fellas

jnday

Reaction score
Brown, Samuel and McLaurin are all wanting new deals and planning to not report to camp.

Deebo has said he wants around $25 million per year, maybe more now. I'm sure the others won't be far behind.

Is this going to be the new norm for top WR around the league? Adams and Hill are already around $30 million per. Hopkins and Diggs aren't that far behind.

Not sure how teams are gonna work around the cap when you could have $60-70 million tied up in QB/WR

Sure glad we traded that easily restructured contract of Coopers for such value and all that cap savings we've used.
After looking at those salaries, Cooper was a good deal. These salaries are totally crazy. No player is worth this kind of money.

Flamma

Reaction score
After looking at those salaries, Cooper was a good deal. These salaries are totally crazy. No player is worth this kind of money.

If Cooper was such a good deal they wouldn't have to restructure his contract moving money forward. If your cap hit is too much to absorb, it's not ideal.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
WRs are a dime a dozen. Stupid to pay for them unless they’re unique.

Pay your big boys and draft the rest.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Nope.. WRs aren’t rare. They come out in droves every year and you can draft good ones all over the draft.

I would have to disagree. Tyreek Hill, DeVante Adams, there's a difference Between them and Noah Brown and Cedrick Wilson. Now I know in an effort to devalue the WR position, people want to make it seem like it

but it just ain't so GREAT WR's don't grow on trees. No more that great QB's do

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Sure glad we traded that easily restructured contract of Coopers for such value and all that cap savings we've used.

Wow, what a brilliant move by the Jones so that Dallas could bring in a top edge rusher or linebacker. Cooper move was not very smart,
got a fifth rounder.

Flamma

Reaction score
I would have to disagree. Tyreek Hill, DeVante Adams, there's a difference Between them and Noah Brown and Cedrick Wilson. Now I know in an effort to devalue the WR position, people want to make it seem like it

but it just ain't so GREAT WR's don't grow on trees. No more that great QB's do

There's teams that hardly ever draft WR in the first round. Steelers and Patriots to name a few. How often do the steelers have crap WRs? The Patriots were in how many super Bowls?

It's also way easier to find good WRs beyond the first round than it is a franchise QB. It's not even close. That alone is enough to tell you their pay shouldn't be either.

Verdict

Reaction score
Brown, Samuel and McLaurin are all wanting new deals and planning to not report to camp.

Deebo has said he wants around $25 million per year, maybe more now. I'm sure the others won't be far behind.

Is this going to be the new norm for top WR around the league? Adams and Hill are already around $30 million per. Hopkins and Diggs aren't that far behind.

Not sure how teams are gonna work around the cap when you could have $60-70 million tied up in QB/WR

Cap room is cap room. There is no reason to force using up cap room just to get rid of it. Lol.

We will need the cap room to pay Dak’s contract going forward. You save it where you can. Amari was a very good receiver but he was not worth what his cap charge was.

Verdict

Reaction score
There's teams that hardly ever draft WR in the first round. Steelers and Patriots to name a few. How often do the steelers have crap WRs? The Patriots were in how many super Bowls?

It's also way easier to find good WRs beyond the first round than it is a franchise QB. It's not even close. That alone is enough to tell you their pay shouldn't be either.
Receivers can be found all over the draft. They are probably easier to find than RBs which are also somewhat easy to find. The key is to be able to evaluate talent.

manster4ever

Reaction score
I do not want to see the Cowboys enter into this sweepstakes. There are more talented players in that WR body type and skillset coming into the league every year than pretty much any other position. The college football world is full of guys who are between 5'10" and 6'3" 185-220 pounds who can run like the wind and catch the ball. Since they all start playing 7 on 7 tournaments when they're 10 years old they are coming into the league better prepared than ever to contribute from day one. Overpaying for a WR is almost as dumb as overpaying for a RB. Unless you know a guy is off the charts "special" and perhaps more importantly, you know your OC is going to use him, it makes no sense to invest heavily in that position.

Preach it Ronnie.....CFB is LOADED with WR's and so is this draft. We can get a difference maker in the third round. The Lions got St.Brown in the 4th round last year and he was simply awesome his rookie year. He's 6 ft. and about 195 lbs...quick twitch and hard to cover. About half a dozen like him in this year's draft. Let's go get one.

Adreme

Reaction score
Amari didnt even have 1k yards. He was a solid guy, not a difference maker.

To add onto this Hill’s actual contract is for 24m per year not 30 with a never gonna happen 42m salary in year 5 that is not guaranteed. Adams has something similar. The explosion is largely fake whereas Cooper actually makes that money.