WR Roy Williams Rumored Trade To 49ers???...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
silverbear;1928453 said:
I won't go so far as to say that this is the first time I've EVER agreed with you, but I will say that I've never agreed with you more...

Well said, Fuzzy...

I didn't know that until I read it in another thread a few minutes ago... that makes me like the guy even more... a lot of NFL players have kids scattered around the country, too many of them don't seem to want to be part of their kids' lives... it says a lot about Roy's character that his kid is such a priority in his life...

And we have a wide receivers coach who has earned a reputation for being able to work with, and coax the best out of, receivers with that kind of rep...

Well, I disagree with your logic almost down the line on that, and will point out that our 2nd round pick is so late in the round that it's not worth a whole lot more than a 3rd rounder...

Well, like I said, I disagree, now I'll try to calmly outline why I disagree:

Roy has had some injury issues since he hit the NFL, it's true... in 4 seasons, he's missed 9 games... but in those other 55 games, he's been a true force, while playing for a team that hasn't exactly been blessed with brilliant quarterbacking... he averages 4.5 catches per game, or over 70 catches for a 16 game season... he averages 66.4 yards per game receiving, or right at 1061 yards for a 16 game season... he averages 8 TD catches for every 16 games played...

And again, he put up those numbers while playing for a less than impressive offensive system-- the Lions have ranked 24th, 27th, 22nd and 19th in total offense in the four years Roy has played for them... in a better system, it would be reasonable to expect at least a bit of improvement in those numbers... in his best season with the Lions, he put up 82 catches for 1310 yards, so it's not unreasonable to project that he could give a team 75 catches or more, for around 1200 yards, in any season where he stays reasonably healthy...

His injury history is a concern, but again, in his worst season he still gave the Lions 12 games... he's averaged right at 14 games played per season... I'd suggest that 14 games of with Roy Williams is better than 16 games with most other receivers...

Now, to your market value argument, using Randy Moss's 4th round trade value as a barometer... well, Roy will be a 26 year old WR when next season kicks off, Randy will be turning 31 here in a coupla weeks... for a WR, that 5 year age difference is HUGE... then there's the matter of the problems Randy has caused his past teams, problems that Roy has never been guilty of... so even if right now, Randy is the bigger offensive threat, Roy is the better value for the long term... so I don't think that a 2nd round asking price for Roy Williams is out of line at all... naturally, I'd have no problem with it if the Boys were able to procure his services for less, LOL...

Its not just injury history. Its injury status quo. He was placed on the IR a month ago.

Hes damaged goods.

khiladi

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1929084 said:
Burress was hurt all year long and continued to play even after demoralizing lossses to us. Ive never heard of RW fight through anything in his life.

What part of "were they in the play-off" hunt did you not understand? If the Gianst were eliminated from the play-offs four weeks prior, do you think Burress would have been playing through injuries?

Its not just injury history. Its injury status quo. He was placed on the IR a month ago.

Hes damaged goods.

Based on IR? Maybe Detroit wanted to free up a roster spot, and didn't want to risk injuring Roy Williams further...

burmafrd

Reaction score
A Ferrari needs more attention then a Yugo, so I am not worried about Roy's nicks and such. He was putting out lots of effort when the Lions were actually in the playoff hunt=SO I am not worried about his heart. If the price is right he is a SURE thing compared to ANY DRAFT CHOICE.

jimmy40

Reaction score
khiladi;1929095 said:
What part of "were they in the play-off" hunt did you not understand? If the Gianst were eliminated from the play-offs four weeks prior, do you think Burress would have been playing through injuries?

Based on IR? Maybe Detroit wanted to free up a roster spot, and didn't want to risk injuring Roy Williams further...
Put Roy Williams in the title and it's a guaranteed 9 pages, doesn't even matter which one it is.

kmd24

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1929086 said:

Hes damaged goods.

You keep spreading this misinformation. The Lions put RW on the IR once they were out of the playoffs. Otherwise, he probably would have played in the finale. It's easy to see that the Lions did it to evaluate Buster Davis and perhaps to be assured of retaining his rights for next year.

And, incidentally, Marinelli was more pessimistic than RW about his return.

Lions coach Rod Marinelli said Monday that wide receiver Roy Williams (WR, SS) could be out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, but Williams was a little more optimistic. Marinelli said Williams would miss several weeks. Williams said he was told he would miss a couple of weeks.

Boysboy

Reaction score
kmd24;1929394 said:
You keep spreading this misinformation. The Lions put RW on the IR once they were out of the playoffs. Otherwise, he probably would have played in the finale. It's easy to see that the Lions did it to evaluate Buster Davis and perhaps to be assured of retaining his rights for next year.

Do you even KNOW WHAT the injury was??

It was a TORN PCL. To clarify, a TORN PCL. Yeah-they're not as severe as torn ACLs, but it's still pretty serious enough to miss weeks, and possibly months of action.

kmd24

Reaction score
Boysboy;1929400 said:
Do you even KNOW WHAT the injury was??

It was a TORN PCL. To clarify, a TORN PCL. Yeah-they're not as severe as torn ACLs, but it's still pretty serious enough to miss weeks, and possibly months of action.

It wasn't torn. Marinelli confirmed that in a news conference. (It's around the 0:37 mark of the clip).

Technically all sprains are at least partial tears, but that's not typically how the milder ones are described. For example, Andre Gurode "tore" knee ligaments when he suffered a sprain against Philly, but he returned to play in the playoff game. If RW had the same timetable as Gurode, he would have returned for the season finale.

Use a little logic. If RW's PCL were completely torn, the Lions wouldn't have waited over 2 weeks to put RW on IR. He sprained his knee on 12/3 and the put him on IR on 12/19, after they were eliminated from the playoffs.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
kmd24;1929394 said:

And it looks like Marinelli wsa right.

Bottom line is that if he was healthy he would have played. He wasnt healthy so he didnt. If risk on injury kept players out of action then no team without a playoff shot would be able to field a team.

If there is an misinformation going around its you saying the Lions put him on the IR when he was healthy. Really if that was the case then all I have to say is that would put him on the Jacob Rogers level of toughness.

kmd24

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1929673 said:
And it looks like Marinelli wsa right.

Bottom line is that if he was healthy he would have played. He wasnt healthy so he didnt. If risk on injury kept players out of action then no team without a playoff shot would be able to field a team.

They put him on IR with two games to go to evaluate a player on their practice squad. If they were in the playoffs he likely would have played at GB. Did you even read the linked articles?

If there is an misinformation going around its you saying the Lions put him on the IR when he was healthy.

I never - not once - said that he was 100% healthy when put on IR. I'm not the one going around calling a mild knee sprain a "season-ending knee injury" and calling the player "damaged goods" in order to exaggerate a run-of-the-mill football injury. We know what the injury was. It was similar to Gurode's sprain vs. Philly, and Gurode managed to return after missing only 3 weeks (which would have been RW's timetable had he returned vs. GB).

Why don't you just call the injury what what it was instead of exaggerating it?

Really if that was the case then all I have to say is that would put him on the Jacob Rogers level of toughness.

How can you conclude this when RW - not his coach - was the one pushing for his own return?

1fisher

Reaction score
Alexander;1926436 said:
Because far too many fans are talking about it. Rarely does it work out even close to what popular opinion formulates as likely.

That and I have special tea leaves.

There are times when I think you've smoked some of those special tea leaves!:laugh1: