CFZ Wrapping up the in-house free agent discussions

Cowboyny

Reaction score
About to start my deep dive into the draft prospects, but I wanted to finish evaluating what we all think should be done with our in-house fa's:

Offense

-Pollard should be franchised. Gives the team time to see if he is healthy and who they are able to draft.
-Zeke shouldn't be kept under any pay cut circumstance.
-Tyron stays 1 more season as Steele probably will miss half the season due to coming back from a late acl tear.
-Shultz has priced himself out and should be allowed to walk
-McGovern/Noah Brown have probably done the same, they will receive bigger contracts then what the team will want to pay.

Offseason Needs-WR x2, RB, TE, G.
Free Agent Hope-OBJ.

Yes, early on it's looking like a heavy, offensive draft forthcoming, but is a good yr needing a RB/TE, but not so much a WR/G.

Defense

-Lve should be resigned, depending on his price. Perhaps 6 million per year would be a compromise for both parties.
-Hankins needs to be kept, he is the team's only legitimate run NT on this roster.
-Both Brown/Lewis should be allowed to walk/released, as both are coming over of major injuries.
-Wilson has priced himself out for his return, team has a few replacements already in house.
-Armstrong's play fell way off in the 2nd half, think he survives, but Gallimore might not, 3 million could be freed up, especially if Golston is now ahead of him.
-Fowler should resign to a similar contract.
-Barr will not be resigned.

Offseason Needs-CB, DT, LB
Free Agent Hope-Payne or Tomlinson.

If they can address DT in fa, I would expect them to find a day 1 starting Corner in the draft.

John813

Reaction score
I don't see the team moving off Lewis this coming year, at least right away. See how FA/draft goes before deciding to move on.

Bland maybe able to handle full time outside duty next year but they still need a dependable slot guy which Lewis has been over his career. While they could cut him if he can't pass a physical, the team could be on the hook for an additional 1.2mil if he files for injury protection benefits/doesn't play for another team in 2023.

He suffered the Lisfranc injury in October and it's recovery can vary greatly, so I'm curious where he's at recovery wise. If he's looking at a full year out, then, maybe it would be best to cut him and expect an additional 1.2mil for IBP to his dead cap hit of 1.2mil

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Why is Noah Brown receiving a bigger contract? Did he do something?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
n as an enforcer on the defense, especially if we are going to make Charmin Diggs our highest paid defensive player. Give him a Kearse type deal.
Kearse took that deal cause that's what he had to take, Wilson will get bigger offers.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Why is Noah Brown receiving a bigger contract? Did he do something?
He was more then a special teams player, look at the deal Cedric Wilson got, he will get a similar deal.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't see the team moving off Lewis this coming year, at least right away. See how FA/draft goes before deciding to move on.

Bland maybe able to handle full time outside duty next year but they still need a dependable slot guy which Lewis has been over his career. While they could cut him if he can't pass a physical, the team could be on the hook for an additional 1.2mil if he files for injury protection benefits/doesn't play for another team in 2023.

He suffered the Lisfranc injury in October and it's recovery can vary greatly, so I'm curious where he's at recovery wise. If he's looking at a full year out, then, maybe it would be best to cut him and expect an additional 1.2mil for IBP to his dead cap hit of 1.2mil
He is under contract, they may wait, until after the draft, but if Bland takes his job, they aren't going to pay that to a slot only backup.

John813

Reaction score
He is under contract, they may wait, until after the draft, but if Bland takes his job, they aren't going to pay that to a slot only backup.

In my opinion even if we draft another outside corner to replace Brown, they would still keep Lewis here, even if he falls to 2nd slot corner. Simply because depth is important and last year they saw the secondary struggle once they saw Brown/Lewis go down and the young guys outside of Bland didn't step up. And if any of the outside corners miss a game, Bland goes back to boundary and now Lewis is your starting slot corner.
Now, if Lewis injury keeps him out for most of next year, who knows, but even then they may sell it as the 4th quarter depth addition to the team.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In my opinion even if we draft another outside corner to replace Brown, they would still keep Lewis here, even if he falls to 2nd slot corner. Simply because depth is important and last year they saw the secondary struggle once they saw Brown/Lewis go down and the young guys outside of Bland didn't step up. And if any of the outside corners miss a game, Bland goes back to boundary and now Lewis is your starting slot corner.
Now, if Lewis injury keeps him out for most of next year, who knows, but even then they may sell it as the 4th quarter depth addition to the team.
He has a 6 million cap hit and they save 5 million to cut him, if he's a backup, they aren't going to keep him with that salary.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Nice eval although I agree and disagree like any good fan on some.

Offense

Pollard stays but thinking it will be a 5 year deal that is really a 3 year deal, something around $35 million, cap in 2023 probably $4 or $5 million
Zeke odds or staying probably went up some 50 percent after he said he would take a pay cut. The yards aren't bad although the blocking is great.
Tyron another one that is restuctured to stay at least 2 if not 3 more years as a swing OT. Steele reports are that he is further along than expected.
Love Schultz but his price tag way to high.
McGovern/Brown most likely history
Gallup will be much better in 2023 and believe Tolbert will shine still drafting a guy is needed and poor draft for WR

Signing Will Hernandez OG should be about where we go and OBJ might be a guy at WR but $$$ is the real key there.

Defense

LVE resigned but believe going to be in the $4 to $5 million a year range
Hankins could be resigned but would rather get Da'Ron Payne if available on a long term deal
Agree about Brown/Lewis and Wilson
Fowler and Barr probably both resigned at similar contracts as 2022

Probably sign a corner or two, LB or two in 3rd or 4th week of free agency

Draft

We know it will be BPA (probably of need) in the draft. We have enough picks to move a bit if needed. Know the guys I like but will they be there when we draft is always the unknown.

blueblood70

Reaction score
About to start my deep dive into the draft prospects, but I wanted to finish evaluating what we all think should be done with our in-house fa's:

Offense

-Pollard should be franchised. Gives the team time to see if he is healthy and who they are able to draft.
-Tyron stays 1 more season as Steele probably will miss half the season due to coming back from a late acl tear.
-McGovern/Noah Brown have probably done the same, they will receive bigger contracts then what the team will want to pay.

Free Agent Hope-OBJ.

Yes, early on it's looking like a heavy, offensive draft forthcoming, but is a good yr needing a RB/TE, but not so much a WR/G.

Defense

-Lve should be resigned, depending on his price. Perhaps 6 million per year would be a compromise for both parties.
-Hankins needs to be kept, he is the team's only legitimate run NT on this roster.
-Both Brown/Lewis should be allowed to walk/released, as both are coming over of major injuries.
-Wilson has priced himself out for his return, team has a few replacements already in house.
-Armstrong's play fell way off in the 2nd half, think he survives, but Gallimore might not, 3 million could be freed up, especially if Golston is now ahead of him.

If they can address DT in fa, I would expect them to find a day 1 starting Corner in the draft.
agree with most always some surprises from the FO that might go aginst the grain but one i would hope they try to keep is Wilson, most physical guy on our defense and we need some physical players. He offsets Diggs soft play etc Keasre is always dinged.. not sure how they could do it but fans complain we never go after the big FA Safety, we have one already here and we really like our guys.. this would be one you keep, and fans would be happy. IMHO Can 6 play FS,

what was Hooker's deal?

hows hooker truly graded out, saw too many plays not being made over the top in CB support that might not have been on that CB, could be the FS.

crazy idea, trade Hooker, sign Wilson and have Wilson play fs or flip Kearse or get the young Bell or Muk ready at FS. Rookie deals offset Wilsons new deal.

Creeper

Reaction score

Offense

Free Agent Hope-OBJ.

Defense

-I am not paying Pollard $10 million, 100% of which hits the CAP. I think he had a great year before his injury but I still think RBs can be had in the middle rounds of the draft.
-Why is everyone saying Steele will miss half the season? Seems to me he should be close to ready by the start of the season which would be about 9 months after surgery. Unless there are any setbacks Steele will probably be ready to play by the 3rd or 4th game of the season.

- I am curious about McGovern's price tag. I would like to sign him because it means they're not desperate for a OG before the draft. Last year, Austin Corbett of the Rams got $8.5 million. I think that's about what McGovern will get. Although Corbett was coming off a Super Bowl year with the Rams so maybe McGovern gets a little less. Right now the Cowboys are only paying Martin and Tyron Smith big money on the OL.
- Why is everyone so enamored with OBJ coming off his second knee surgery in 3 years? If Gallup struggled his first year back from surgery why do we think OBJ will be any further along? And his risk of reinjury is much higher.

-I want to sign LVE too. He had his best year in some time last year. However, if it comes down to LVE or a big DT to keep the LBs clean, I will take the DT. They still have Clark, Cox, and Parsons. I can see Clark moving into the middle with Cox replacing Barr. Get two good DTs in the middle and I think Clark and Cox will be fine. We can't sign everyone.
- Brown is coming off injury and I am not sure he will be ready at the start of the season either. No need to rush to sign him. Lewis is under contract and for $6 million in CAP hit I would keep him on the roster.
- I am torn on Wilson. He is one of the few bangers on defense. I would hate to lose him but I would hate to pay him $7 million per year too. But I won't be like Jerry and devalue the position. The defense needs him and a 3 year deal that shifts his CAP burden into the 3rd year would be nice, even at $7 million per year.
-There is no reason to cut players like Armstrong and Gallimore who are already on the roster . Armstrong is a solid player and for $7 million I'd keep him. Gallimore needs to really improve between now and next training camp. I just don't think he has it. He has poor technique and get bullied on the LOS. Bring him to camp but they need other options at DT. I am fine signing Hankins and Tomlinson if they can get him. I think Payne is not going anywhere and he is going to cost and arm and a leg to sign. I don't think there is a chance in Hates that Jerry shells out that kind of money for a DT.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

For a team scraping for CAP, having Bland and Mukuamu as probable slot corners makes Lewis expendable....too many if's on Bland and Israel both becoming full time CB2 and SS.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mostly agree.

Transition tag pollard with a 2nd round tender. Id love to get a pick for him. But zeke has to go and they need to draft 1 rb.

Gotta keep lewis though im not a fan of his. Resign brown if possible. Need depth. Hankins is a priority.

Free agent signings should include 1 or 2 wr's to compete with fehoko. I know they like bigger targets but 1 of them needs to have above average speed. Simi may be out after camp a d tolbert on notice, step up or step aside.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-I am not paying Pollard $10 million, 100% of which hits the CAP. I think he had a great year before his injury but I still think RBs can be had in the middle rounds of the draft.
-Why is everyone saying Steele will miss half the season? Seems to me he should be close to ready by the start of the season which would be about 9 months after surgery. Unless there are any setbacks Steele will probably be ready to play by the 3rd or 4th game of the season.

- I am curious about McGovern's price tag. I would like to sign him because it means they're not desperate for a OG before the draft. Last year, Austin Corbett of the Rams got $8.5 million. I think that's about what McGovern will get. Although Corbett was coming off a Super Bowl year with the Rams so maybe McGovern gets a little less. Right now the Cowboys are only paying Martin and Tyron Smith big money on the OL.
- Why is everyone so enamored with OBJ coming off his second knee surgery in 3 years? If Gallup struggled his first year back from surgery why do we think OBJ will be any further along? And his risk of reinjury is much higher.

-I want to sign LVE too. He had his best year in some time last year. However, if it comes down to LVE or a big DT to keep the LBs clean, I will take the DT. They still have Clark, Cox, and Parsons. I can see Clark moving into the middle with Cox replacing Barr. Get two good DTs in the middle and I think Clark and Cox will be fine. We can't sign everyone.
- Brown is coming off injury and I am not sure he will be ready at the start of the season either. No need to rush to sign him. Lewis is under contract and for $6 million in CAP hit I would keep him on the roster.
- I am torn on Wilson. He is one of the few bangers on defense. I would hate to lose him but I would hate to pay him $7 million per year too. But I won't be like Jerry and devalue the position. The defense needs him and a 3 year deal that shifts his CAP burden into the 3rd year would be nice, even at $7 million per year.
-There is no reason to cut players like Armstrong and Gallimore who are already on the roster . Armstrong is a solid player and for $7 million I'd keep him. Gallimore needs to really improve between now and next training camp. I just don't think he has it. He has poor technique and get bullied on the LOS. Bring him to camp but they need other options at DT. I am fine signing Hankins and Tomlinson if they can get him. I think Payne is not going anywhere and he is going to cost and arm and a leg to sign. I don't think there is a chance in Hates that Jerry shells out that kind of money for a DT.
Couple of Comments:

-Steele suffered the injury late, he is definitely going to miss a few early games, depending on how fast he recovers. Right now they cannot expect to go in the season with either of their young prospects starting.
-We aren't going to pay an average Guard 8 million a season. Farnoik has the same positional flex and he isn't that much worse at a fraction of the cost resigning McGovern would be. This is an area in which they need to draft a future starter.
-Clark really had his struggles, especially in coverage, Lve calls the D and lines everyone up. They consider Cox more as a Big Safety then as a LB. If they lose Lve, they are going to have to sign a FA starter at the position.
-Payne would be ideal, but there are several others who cost less that will help the run game, but Payne can do both. Gallimore seat is hot, if he is far down the depth chart as it seems.
-Lewis only returns if Bland become their outside starter, he is slot only and is too much to keep as a backup. Need to upgrade Brown's spot with a high draft pick.
-It usually takes the 2nd yr for players to come back fully healthy from an acl injury. Both Gallup/Obj would be in that 2nd yr after injury.
-Take away Pollard's big play abilities from this offense and we will struggle to create many chunk plays at all. Sure, we can try to replace him, but we don't want to have to draft anyone. It will force the franchise to make another mistake and draft a 1st rd back.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
agree with most always some surprises from the FO that might go aginst the grain but one i would hope they try to keep is Wilson, most physical guy on our defense and we need some physical players. He offsets Diggs soft play etc Keasre is always dinged.. not sure how they could do it but fans complain we never go after the big FA Safety, we have one already here and we really like our guys.. this would be one you keep, and fans would be happy. IMHO Can 6 play FS,

what was Hooker's deal?

hows hooker truly graded out, saw too many plays not being made over the top in CB support that might not have been on that CB, could be the FS.

crazy idea, trade Hooker, sign Wilson and have Wilson play fs or flip Kearse or get the young Bell or Muk ready at FS. Rookie deals offset Wilsons new deal.
Hooker signed a low level extension, Wilson is going to command close to 10 million a yr, Kearse only makes 5 and he is the better player. Resigning Wilson will be all about his price and I think they won't meet what is market is going to be.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Cedric Wilson was a dynamic player and Noah Brown wont get half the contract he got.
Wilson got 7 million, think Noah gets just a little less due to Wilson having return abilities on special teams. We aren't going to be able to keep Brown in that 3 million range anylonger.