CFZ Wrapping up the in-house free agent discussions

cnuball21

Reaction score
Releasing Armstrong saves us close to 6 million. You are right, once they stopped those stunts, his sack production was nothing. Could they find a trading partner? Sure, but don't know if he could net us more then a 4th rd pick.
And I’d take that 4th in a heartbeat.

jrumann59

Reaction score
-I am not paying Pollard $10 million, 100% of which hits the CAP. I think he had a great year before his injury but I still think RBs can be had in the middle rounds of the draft.
-Why is everyone saying Steele will miss half the season? Seems to me he should be close to ready by the start of the season which would be about 9 months after surgery. Unless there are any setbacks Steele will probably be ready to play by the 3rd or 4th game of the season.
Due tot he nature of the OL position re-injury is pretty high due to the trash around OL legs, look at Zack he didn't tear his ACL but he had a few games this year where dudes rolled his leg good.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree with some. I don’t think we should franchise Pollard. I don’t understand how anyone is priced out yet and have no clue what many of them are seeking, nor what they would fetch. It is a good overall approach though and I agree with quite a bit of it.

I hope the org keeps in mind that we always wish we had a better defensive tackle, always need more depth on the o line, and always run out of corners. Perhaps they can get ahead of these issues for a change, but I doubt it.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
About to start my deep dive into the draft prospects, but I wanted to finish evaluating what we all think should be done with our in-house fa's:

Offense

-Pollard should be franchised. Gives the team time to see if he is healthy and who they are able to draft.
-Zeke shouldn't be kept under any pay cut circumstance.
-Tyron stays 1 more season as Steele probably will miss half the season due to coming back from a late acl tear.
-Shultz has priced himself out and should be allowed to walk
-McGovern/Noah Brown have probably done the same, they will receive bigger contracts then what the team will want to pay.

Offseason Needs-WR x2, RB, TE, G.
Free Agent Hope-OBJ.

Yes, early on it's looking like a heavy, offensive draft forthcoming, but is a good yr needing a RB/TE, but not so much a WR/G.

Defense

-Lve should be resigned, depending on his price. Perhaps 6 million per year would be a compromise for both parties.
-Hankins needs to be kept, he is the team's only legitimate run NT on this roster.
-Both Brown/Lewis should be allowed to walk/released, as both are coming over of major injuries.
-Wilson has priced himself out for his return, team has a few replacements already in house.
-Armstrong's play fell way off in the 2nd half, think he survives, but Gallimore might not, 3 million could be freed up, especially if Golston is now ahead of him.
-Fowler should resign to a similar contract.
-Barr will not be resigned.

Offseason Needs-CB, DT, LB
Free Agent Hope-Payne or Tomlinson.

If they can address DT in fa, I would expect them to find a day 1 starting Corner in the draft.
Don't disagree with any of this.
I hope we will take free agency seriously.
Given our past dumpster diving, not holding my breath.

dckid

Reaction score
About to start my deep dive into the draft prospects, but I wanted to finish evaluating what we all think should be done with our in-house fa's:

Offense

-Pollard should be franchised. Gives the team time to see if he is healthy and who they are able to draft.
-Tyron stays 1 more season as Steele probably will miss half the season due to coming back from a late acl tear.
-McGovern/Noah Brown have probably done the same, they will receive bigger contracts then what the team will want to pay.

Free Agent Hope-OBJ.

Yes, early on it's looking like a heavy, offensive draft forthcoming, but is a good yr needing a RB/TE, but not so much a WR/G.

Defense

-Lve should be resigned, depending on his price. Perhaps 6 million per year would be a compromise for both parties.
-Hankins needs to be kept, he is the team's only legitimate run NT on this roster.
-Both Brown/Lewis should be allowed to walk/released, as both are coming over of major injuries.
-Wilson has priced himself out for his return, team has a few replacements already in house.
-Armstrong's play fell way off in the 2nd half, think he survives, but Gallimore might not, 3 million could be freed up, especially if Golston is now ahead of him.

If they can address DT in fa, I would expect them to find a day 1 starting Corner in the draft.
I would also add Free agent running backs are out there. If Pollard balks and even if he doesnt:
We have Kareem Hunt, Moestert, Jeff Wilson, Damien Harris, Matt Breida, there will be bargains and steals.
Zeke needs to have his bag packed and I will get an Uber for him out of town. Clean out your locker and you are a post June1st cut.

Schultz is good but should sign with a team like Jacksonville for Carolina who will overpay. Cowboys need depth as we should go with the young guys.

Keep building the defense, need more corners, DTs, pass rush.. build on a strength. Just think Ravens gave up a second for Smith during the season.
Imagine Parsons and Smith together. Strike while the iron is hot.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would also add Free agent running backs are out there. If Pollard balks and even if he doesnt:
We have Kareem Hunt, Moestert, Jeff Wilson, Damien Harris, Matt Breida, there will be bargains and steals.
Zeke needs to have his bag packed and I will get an Uber for him out of town. Clean out your locker and you are a post June1st cut.

Schultz is good but should sign with a team like Jacksonville for Carolina who will overpay. Cowboys need depth as we should go with the young guys.

Keep building the defense, need more corners, DTs, pass rush.. build on a strength. Just think Ravens gave up a second for Smith during the season.
Imagine Parsons and Smith together. Strike while the iron is hot.
You would think 1 of our backs will return, the hope is more towards Pollard. He can always sign a veteran back after the draft if we are unable to draft a quality one. Corners have to be upgraded and DT are really the weakest part of our defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Don't disagree with any of this.
I hope we will take free agency seriously.
Given our past dumpster diving, not holding my breath.
As for fa, we know this ownership has always held the WR position close to top of the list, signing, trading or even 1st rd pick is likely. As for DT, we haven't seen the same and it is probably more wishful thinking, although Quinn forced them to trade for Hankins in season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You do not franchise a player if you are worried about health

Hankins deserves a contract with a little security maybe 2-3 year deal.
It's up to the team doctors, if they give him the green light, the tag wouldn't be about his health.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Why would Wilson get more money than Kearse? Kearse is way better than Wilson.
Many around the league thought Kearse was no more then a special teamer, Quinn found a unique role for him. Wilson plays a more traditional role.

exciter

Reaction score
Cedric Wilson was a dynamic player and Noah Brown wont get half the contract he got.
No he wasn’t, he was a player who depended on Cooper and Lamb being doubled and being an afterthought in the opposing teams coverage scheme. In the couple games he started and wasn’t being covered by 4th/5th and practice squad players his production dropped precipitously!

conner01

Reaction score

Offense

Free Agent Hope-OBJ.

Defense

I don’t see how you can release Lewis and let brown walk myself
Really good breakdown
I’d love Payne but I suspect he gets paid based on last year not his career as a whole and it’s gonna be huge. Tomlinson would really help this team. Run stopping aside an inside push make outside rushers more effective
I think we will get some clue about FA when we see how, who and how much cap space we clear by restructure, cuts and/or extensions
Jerry isn’t going all in spending but I could see him going a getting a really good player. If I was only going for one I’d look at DT because it’s really hard to draft a impactful DT anywhere but even harder late
I think OBJ is gonna be a target for them. If he can stay healthy he can help

exciter

Reaction score
I don't see the team moving off Lewis this coming year, at least right away. See how FA/draft goes before deciding to move on.

Bland maybe able to handle full time outside duty next year but they still need a dependable slot guy which Lewis has been over his career. While they could cut him if he can't pass a physical, the team could be on the hook for an additional 1.2mil if he files for injury protection benefits/doesn't play for another team in 2023.

He suffered the Lisfranc injury in October and it's recovery can vary greatly, so I'm curious where he's at recovery wise. If he's looking at a full year out, then, maybe it would be best to cut him and expect an additional 1.2mil for IBP to his dead cap hit of 1.2mil
They can get close to 5m in cap space releasing Lewis. Draft high and bring in a mid level FA at half his cap hit while getting the same production. Only way I see him coming back is if he takes a paycut to league minimum!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He was more then a special teams player, look at the deal Cedric Wilson got, he will get a similar deal.
Get the heck outta here. He’ll be lucky to get resigned. Wilson deal was a joke as predicted.

exciter

Reaction score
Gotta keep Wilson as an enforcer on the defense, especially if we are going to make Charmin Diggs our highest paid defensive player. Give him a Kearse type deal.
Not after the way Mukuamo came on at the end of the season and carrying Bell on the roster all year. Along with Kearse that’s 4 players who are a carbon copy. Also allows Cox to finally get on the field!

conner01

Reaction score
No he wasn’t, he was a player who depended on Cooper and Lamb being doubled and being an afterthought in the opposing teams coverage scheme. In the couple games he started and wasn’t being covered by 4th/5th and practice squad players his production dropped precipitously!
Wilson is a nice 4th WR who got paid to be more than he is. Playing with two really good WR’s gives you a much easier path to getting open. Here he got 65 targets, while there he got 18. He caught about the same pct of targets. He’s a guy who as a 3rd with 2 strong WR can catch the ball if it’s thrown to him. He’s not a guy who is going out there and beat a teams second cb all day

conner01

Reaction score
Get the heck outta here. He’ll be lucky to get resigned. Wilson deal was a joke as predicted.
They bet on potential with Wilson and they got the same thing we got out of him. We just targeted him more. They only threw him 18 balls
If he’s covered by a teams 3rd CB he can win and he can catch. He got paid like a guy who can do more than he is capable of. He’s a nice 3rd or 4th WR who can help on ST. He and brown a very similar though Wilson is faster.
The fact he got paid too much doesn’t change that and if a team does the same with Brown they will get similar results. They are what they are

John813

Reaction score
They can get close to 5m in cap space releasing Lewis. Draft high and bring in a mid level FA at half his cap hit while getting the same production. Only way I see him coming back is if he takes a paycut to league minimum!

I get the savings, but they could of also cut Brown last year for roughly the same cap hit but didn't.
Here's the thing, it's 4.7mil cap savings, but since he was injured last year on the field and IF he can't pass a physical, then he can apply for IBP since he is under contract for 2023 and take up 1.23mil of additional cap space if he isn't signed for next year.
So, now it could be down to 3.5mil savings and now you got to sign a mid level guy, which at your comment of half his cap hit isn't going to get you much production at 2-3mil cap hit, unless you find a diamond in the rough.
This front office to me isn't the most aggressive/cutthroat one out there so I don't see them cutting a player that can still be useful unless he's truly damaged goods or it's obvious he fell off a cliff.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yep I just wrote that elsewhere. Considering they have Hooker and Kearse under contract, I doubt they match what Wilson gets.

He should have started an entire season sooner than he did, but Garrett refused to do it.
we get any comp picks for DW?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
As for fa, we know this ownership has always held the WR position close to top of the list, signing, trading or even 1st rd pick is likely. As for DT, we haven't seen the same and it is probably more wishful thinking, although Quinn forced them to trade for Hankins in season.
Hankin's is one : we like our guys that I hope they resign.