CFZ Wrapping up the in-house free agent discussions

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Nice eval although I agree and disagree like any good fan on some.

Offense

Pollard stays but thinking it will be a 5 year deal that is really a 3 year deal, something around $35 million, cap in 2023 probably $4 or $5 million
Zeke odds or staying probably went up some 50 percent after he said he would take a pay cut. The yards aren't bad although the blocking is great.
Tyron another one that is restuctured to stay at least 2 if not 3 more years as a swing OT. Steele reports are that he is further along than expected.
Love Schultz but his price tag way to high.
McGovern/Brown most likely history
Gallup will be much better in 2023 and believe Tolbert will shine still drafting a guy is needed and poor draft for WR

Signing Will Hernandez OG should be about where we go and OBJ might be a guy at WR but $$$ is the real key there.

Defense

LVE resigned but believe going to be in the $4 to $5 million a year range
Hankins could be resigned but would rather get Da'Ron Payne if available on a long term deal
Agree about Brown/Lewis and Wilson
Fowler and Barr probably both resigned at similar contracts as 2022

Probably sign a corner or two, LB or two in 3rd or 4th week of free agency

Draft

We know it will be BPA (probably of need) in the draft. We have enough picks to move a bit if needed. Know the guys I like but will they be there when we draft is always the unknown.
Think Zeke is nothing more then a progress stopper now and is a poor fit for the WCO. Don't think he is going to take a huge pay cut to stay, either.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Mostly agree.

Transition tag pollard with a 2nd round tender. Id love to get a pick for him. But zeke has to go and they need to draft 1 rb.

Gotta keep lewis though im not a fan of his. Resign brown if possible. Need depth. Hankins is a priority.

Free agent signings should include 1 or 2 wr's to compete with fehoko. I know they like bigger targets but 1 of them needs to have above average speed. Simi may be out after camp a d tolbert on notice, step up or step aside.
WR position is going to need a makeover as our young prospects really have shown anything up to this point and we are changing schemes. Both Semi/Tolbert aren't even guaranteed roster spots, especially if we draft another high WR.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hooker signed a low level extension, Wilson is going to command close to 10 million a yr, Kearse only makes 5 and he is the better player. Resigning Wilson will be all about his price and I think they won't meet what is market is going to be.
it literally has him at under 8 at this point on that FA list i read. why not if we can have DW at that deal you try and keep him. hooker has 1 yr left at 3.5..can DW play FS or is Bell or Muk ready??

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
WR position is going to need a makeover as our young prospects really have shown anything up to this point and we are changing schemes. Both Semi/Tolbert aren't even guaranteed roster spots, especially if we draft another high WR. say tolbert gets atleast 1 more year.
Tolbert gets 1 more year. I hope we target a couple guys in the draft but it really depends on who else is available and who weve already selected. Besides a couple cheap veterans might have more impact in year 1. Like they did with wash just cut who sucks as needed. What they cant do is assume either kid will be enough by themselves.

cnuball21

Reaction score
About to start my deep dive into the draft prospects, but I wanted to finish evaluating what we all think should be done with our in-house fa's:

Offense

-Pollard should be franchised. Gives the team time to see if he is healthy and who they are able to draft.
-Zeke shouldn't be kept under any pay cut circumstance.
-Tyron stays 1 more season as Steele probably will miss half the season due to coming back from a late acl tear.
-Shultz has priced himself out and should be allowed to walk
-McGovern/Noah Brown have probably done the same, they will receive bigger contracts then what the team will want to pay.

Offseason Needs-WR x2, RB, TE, G.
Free Agent Hope-OBJ.

Yes, early on it's looking like a heavy, offensive draft forthcoming, but is a good yr needing a RB/TE, but not so much a WR/G.

Defense

-Lve should be resigned, depending on his price. Perhaps 6 million per year would be a compromise for both parties.
-Hankins needs to be kept, he is the team's only legitimate run NT on this roster.
-Both Brown/Lewis should be allowed to walk/released, as both are coming over of major injuries.
-Wilson has priced himself out for his return, team has a few replacements already in house.
-Armstrong's play fell way off in the 2nd half, think he survives, but Gallimore might not, 3 million could be freed up, especially if Golston is now ahead of him.
-Fowler should resign to a similar contract.
-Barr will not be resigned.

Offseason Needs-CB, DT, LB
Free Agent Hope-Payne or Tomlinson.

If they can address DT in fa, I would expect them to find a day 1 starting Corner in the draft.
Good post and I agree with all of it.

- I’d be fine letting TP walk too if it saves us more money. Add a mid range FA and draft a mid rounder.
- Good call on AB / Lewis. I’ve seen enough from Bland to think he can fill 1 spot for us. Might still want to check on price of some FA vets.
- Wonder if we could trade DA? His sack total was a complete mirage of how good he actually was last year. A bunch of clean up sacks and when we did less stunts he disappeared.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good post and I agree with all of it.

- I’d be fine letting TP walk too if it saves us more money. Add a mid range FA and draft a mid rounder.
- Good call on AB / Lewis. I’ve seen enough from Bland to think he can fill 1 spot for us. Might still want to check on price of some FA vets.
- Wonder if we could trade DA? His sack total was a complete mirage of how good he actually was last year. A bunch of clean up sacks and when we did less stunts he disappeared.
Releasing Armstrong saves us close to 6 million. You are right, once they stopped those stunts, his sack production was nothing. Could they find a trading partner? Sure, but don't know if he could net us more then a 4th rd pick.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Tolbert gets 1 more year. I hope we target a couple guys in the draft but it really depends on who else is available and who weve already selected. Besides a couple cheap veterans might have more impact in year 1. Like they did with wash just cut who sucks as needed. What they cant do is assume either kid will be enough by themselves.
Our WR group was so bad, but Tolbert was a healthly scratch every week. He has to earn his spot this year.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
it literally has him at under 8 at this point on that FA list i read. why not if we can have DW at that deal you try and keep him. hooker has 1 yr left at 3.5..can DW play FS or is Bell or Muk ready??
7-8 is still steep. Wilson isn't a free safety as his coverage abilities are limited, besides we want him more inside the box. Muk certainly can replace him at a much lower cost.

visionary

Reaction score
Agree with most of your steps but I would definitely trade Diggs this off season. I know many don’t agree with this but I have stated my reasons before so won’t repeat them. Once he is signed to a long term deal he will be untradeable so I do it niw and I believe we can get a rd 1 pick for him

fivetwos

Reaction score
Hooker signed a low level extension, Wilson is going to command close to 10 million a yr, Kearse only makes 5 and he is the better player. Resigning Wilson will be all about his price and I think they won't meet what is market is going to be.
Yep I just wrote that elsewhere. Considering they have Hooker and Kearse under contract, I doubt they match what Wilson gets.

He should have started an entire season sooner than he did, but Garrett refused to do it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yep I just wrote that elsewhere. Considering they have Hooker and Kearse under contract, I doubt they match what Wilson gets.

He should have started an entire season sooner than he did, but Garrett refused to do it.
As we were discussing, could create more room to resign Wilson, but not sure they wa T to bring him back at that price

JBS

Reaction score
Kearse took that deal cause that's what he had to take, Wilson will get bigger offers.
Why would Wilson get more money than Kearse? Kearse is way better than Wilson.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Gotta keep Wilson as an enforcer on the defense, especially if we are going to make Charmin Diggs our highest paid defensive player. Give him a Kearse type deal.

Was about to say WHO lol lol lol lol lol

fivetwos

Reaction score
Why would Wilson get more money than Kearse? Kearse is way better than Wilson.
Circumstance. Timing.

Kearse may also be seen as being effective only in this scheme, because he didn’t really thrive before coming here.

They did well on a team friendly extension.

I’d like to keep Wilson. I think he is better than either S we have, but ya know….the cap is real.

Wilson is gonna go thrive somewhere, maybe win a ring. Get out while you can. Wish I could follow you Donnie!

jrumann59

Reaction score
About to start my deep dive into the draft prospects, but I wanted to finish evaluating what we all think should be done with our in-house fa's:

Offense

-Pollard should be franchised. Gives the team time to see if he is healthy and who they are able to draft.
You do not franchise a player if you are worried about health
-Zeke shouldn't be kept under any pay cut circumstance.
-Tyron stays 1 more season as Steele probably will miss half the season due to coming back from a late acl tear.
-Shultz has priced himself out and should be allowed to walk
-McGovern/Noah Brown have probably done the same, they will receive bigger contracts then what the team will want to pay.

Offseason Needs-WR x2, RB, TE, G.
Free Agent Hope-OBJ.

Yes, early on it's looking like a heavy, offensive draft forthcoming, but is a good yr needing a RB/TE, but not so much a WR/G.

Defense

-Lve should be resigned, depending on his price. Perhaps 6 million per year would be a compromise for both parties.
-Hankins needs to be kept, he is the team's only legitimate run NT on this roster.
Hankins deserves a contract with a little security maybe 2-3 year deal.
-Both Brown/Lewis should be allowed to walk/released, as both are coming over of major injuries.
-Wilson has priced himself out for his return, team has a few replacements already in house.
-Armstrong's play fell way off in the 2nd half, think he survives, but Gallimore might not, 3 million could be freed up, especially if Golston is now ahead of him.
-Fowler should resign to a similar contract.
-Barr will not be resigned.

Offseason Needs-CB, DT, LB
Free Agent Hope-Payne or Tomlinson.

If they can address DT in fa, I would expect them to find a day 1 starting Corner in the draft.