Wrestling Fans, have some questions..

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
RoyWillisill said:
Yes he ruined WRESTLING (the actual wrestling part).... Now wrestling (from an entertainment standpoint) McMahon totally did revolutionize it and should be given credit for that. I stopped watching when WCW went down...since then wrestling has gotten cheezier and cheezier thanks to good ol Mr. McMahon IMO

Oh please. :rolleyes:

Vince McMahon didn't ruin a dang thing.

The only difference between wrestling now and wrestling 30 years ago is you actually have to have some ATHLETICISM to wrestle these days.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
I'm talking wrestling...not wrestling to entertain.... McMahon certainly has skewed the opinions of how people view wrestling. Olympic Wrestling and that sort of wrestling (REAL Wrestling) not this fake wrestling has been ruined by Vince IMO...He's almost made it a slap in the face to REAL wrestlers to be not thought of when the word wrestling is mentioned. Instead people think of The ROCK, Stone Cold, etc. Kind of sad to tell you the truth.

Duane

Reaction score
The old ECW is still the most fun I've ever had watching wrestling.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gotta tell my best wrestling story. It's good for a chuckle.

I have a friend, Joe, who is really into wrestling. He was a DJ here in Tucson but is now in Austin. He used to always get us great tickets for free.

One time, many years ago I found a website that had all the wrestler's real names and I printed it out.

Lex Luger was wrestling as "The Narcisist" and Bobby Heenan was his manager. His real name is is Lawrence Pfund (or something like that). So our seats are awesome. Right by the entry to the ring and we're 4 rows back.

So Luger's walking up the aisle and I started yelling at him. "Larry! Hey Larry! It's Mike and Joe from High School." He looks right over at us and says, "hey how the hell are you guys?"

After his match he's coming back up the aisle and he stops right by us. "Man you guys look great. Say hi to your folks for me."

People around us were asking if we really went to High School with him. "Of course not."

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
It's Still Real To Me Damnit.

The biggest burst bubble in my youth was finding out that wrestling wasn't real. Forget Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, I was friggin' shattered when my old man one day broke the news that it was all fake. :eek:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hostile said:

I have a friend, Joe, who is really into wrestling. He was a DJ here in Tucson but is now in Austin. He used to always get us great tickets for free.

One time, many years ago I found a website that had all the wrestler's real names and I printed it out.

Lex Luger was wrestling as "The Narcisist" and Bobby Heenan was his manager. His real name is is Lawrence Pfund (or something like that). So our seats are awesome. Right by the entry to the ring and we're 4 rows back.

So Luger's walking up the aisle and I started yelling at him. "Larry! Hey Larry! It's Mike and Joe from High School." He looks right over at us and says, "hey how the hell are you guys?"

After his match he's coming back up the aisle and he stops right by us. "Man you guys look great. Say hi to your folks for me."

People around us were asking if we really went to High School with him. "Of course not."

Another tidbit of trivia. Lex Luger played for the Memphis Showboats of the USFL.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Lmao! good one. and i had no clue so many wrestlers died!! i didnt know Yokozuna died, big boss man, Mr. Perfect, crash holly! holy $..i've missed a lot!!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
RoyWillisill said:
I'm talking wrestling...not wrestling to entertain.... McMahon certainly has skewed the opinions of how people view wrestling. Olympic Wrestling and that sort of wrestling (REAL Wrestling) not this fake wrestling has been ruined by Vince IMO...He's almost made it a slap in the face to REAL wrestlers to be not thought of when the word wrestling is mentioned. Instead people think of The ROCK, Stone Cold, etc. Kind of sad to tell you the truth.

That has NOTHING to do with Vince McMahon. "Professional" wrestling was around before Vince McMahon was born.

Now THAT is freakin' hilarious. :lmao2:

The biggest burst bubble in my youth was finding out that wrestling wasn't real.

Technically wrestling is "real". When a wrestler gets body slammed, he gets body slammed. When a wrestler does a flying elbow off the top ropes, it's real.

The correct term is "Scripted".

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
Rack said:
That has NOTHING to do with Vince McMahon. "Professional" wrestling was around before Vince McMahon was born.
Say that next time then. Like i said, from an entertainment standpoint he revolutionized it. WRESTLING has been all but ruined by him. Regardless, if it's "professional" or professional wrestling, what he's done has influenced both aspects.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
Without even opening it I know what that is

I guess that thing got so popular that there are some people making remixes of it.:laugh2:

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
One comment on the Fake\not fake argument..... There have been many many ex football players and Two bball players (Malone and Rodman) who have tried wrestling and each and everyone of them have said it may not be real but it sure the Hell isn't fake.... Kevin Green from the Carolina Panthers said it was more physically demanding than any Training camp he ever went thru, Karl Malone said it was one of the most physically taxing things he's ever done (Karl was one of the most physically fit athletes in Pro sports)
So for anyone who doesn't think these guys are "Athletes" and wrestling is "Fake" then I'd say strap em on and give it a shot I'm sure somewhere close has tryouts and see how demanding it is and how physical it really is....

Seeing Cactus Jack (mick Foley) get choke slammed from the top of a 15' high cage thru a table or from the same cage slammed thru the top of the cage on Real thumb tacks in the ring.... Now thats hard to fake espically when one of the tacks goes thru his nose....

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
^^^ And don't forget about Foley losing his ear. Didn't he lose it in the ring?

And I still say Vince McMahon didn't ruin wrestling. If you can show me some proof instead of just saying "Vince McMahon ruined wrestling" then that would be great.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
You are entitled to that opinion, as I am to mine.I respect your opinion, indeed I think Vince has done wonders for it from an entertainment standpoint. But as I initially said, many people forget that there really is a legit sport of wrestling with guys not named Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold. That reason is why i say Vince has ruined real wrestling. He's made people like the Rock glorified as wrestlers as opposed to olympic champions who take a backseat to people like the Rock etc. I don't think I'm making any radical statement, it's pretty clear.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
RoyWillisill said:
You are entitled to that opinion, as I am to mine.I respect your opinion, indeed I think Vince has done wonders for it from an entertainment standpoint. But as I initially said, many people forget that there really is a legit sport of wrestling with guys not named Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold. That reason is why i say Vince has ruined real wrestling. He's made people like the Rock glorified as wrestlers as opposed to olympic champions who take a backseat to people like the Rock etc. I don't think I'm making any radical statement, it's pretty clear.

Like I said, and I thought I was pretty clear, "Professional" Wrestling was around LONG before Vince McMahon was. Vince McMahon didn't create it.

All he did was market professional wrestling better then anyone before.

And he did bring in Kurt Angle so I think, if anything, he HELPED amateur wrestling more then hurt it.

It's not like amateur wrestling was some great and popular sport before, and now is an after thought.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
Once again...not talking about entertainment......talking pure wrestling brother...i think you're arguing now just for the sake of arguing...Mcmahon has made wrestling a joke in terms of the actual sport.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
RoyWillisill said:
Once again...not talking about entertainment......talking pure wrestling brother...i think you're arguing now just for the sake of arguing...Mcmahon has made wrestling a joke in terms of the actual sport.

You still haven't put forth a single shred of evidence to support your claim.

You're just hating for the sake of hating.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
RoyWillisill said:
Mcmahon has made wrestling a joke in terms of the actual sport.

Ummm...no offense...But Pro wrestling is/was and always will be.....a joke as an actual sport.

FYI...It's fake. Sure, the participants are athletes, and they really suffer injuries, but the outcome is predetermined. Therefore, making it a joke as a sport.

I was a huge wrestling fan when I was a child. But as I reached my teenage years, a lightbulb went off in my head and I realized that pro wrestling was only appealing to children, and the rest of the weak minded people.

Here was my moment of clarity.......

So I was about 12 and watching a wrestling match. I don't remember who it was, but the one guy had the other guy so beaten and so subdued, that he was on all fours, dazed, and completely helpless. So what does he do?....Does he kick the guy in the head and finish him off like any normal person would do? NO!!! He climbs up on the turnbuckle and proceeds to do a "flying headbutt." Which knocked his opponent clean out, as well as himself. So it was a draw.

It was at that exact moment that I, at the age of 12 (circa 1980), realized that I was too old to watch wrestling anymore, because NO ONE in reality, would do that.

So if you, or anyone else, is truly looking for wrestling to be recognized as an "actual sport." It ain't gonna happen bro.