WRs group lacks speed, so If speed is emphasis on defense why not on offense?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Because we have Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson at QB.

Those teams focused on the defense too and it paid off. Hopefully it does for us too.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Like I said a small, shifty WR with speed .

It’s in Cowboys’s history and DNA for winning championship. Notable players with speed Bob Hayes, Tony Dorsett,Pearson, Deion etc

Facts over fiction bro!

YouTube hosts nearly a billion videos, the majority of which can be viewed on other sites. Yet, most of the videos you pick and post here cannot be viewed outside of YouTube.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I would like to see a faster WR in the slot. Sort of like what we had with Cole Beasley. The nice thing is, I think we are going to be very happy with our TEs, especially Ferguson. I think having a safety blanket at tight end can also help open up WRs.

When we had Jason Witten, teams had to focus especially on him. That opened up other WRs because it was simply, when in doubt, through to 82. I think we have that in Ferguson.

conner01

Reaction score
I would like to see a faster WR in the slot. Sort of like what we had with Cole Beasley. The nice thing is, I think we are going to be very happy with our TEs, especially Ferguson. I think having a safety blanket at tight end can also help open up WRs.

When we had Jason Witten, teams had to focus especially on him. That opened up other WRs because it was simply, when in doubt, through to 82. I think we have that in Ferguson.
Cold ran a 4.49

the slot is more about quickness in and out of cuts than speed
Cooper Kupp is slower than any recurved we have but he’s hard to cover

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Every now and then this topic arises about speed vs. route-running. And I remind what Michael Irvin said, which is speed is overrated for the receiver position. Route-running is preferable. Of course, you have outliers like Bob Hayes and Randy Moss, but, by and large, the best receivers are not blazing fast but have superb route-running skills.
Speed can be a liability for a receiver because the faster you run, the longer it takes for you to decelerate, and defensive backs can read speed receivers better because they take too long decelerating to get into their routes. Unless, they're running a "go" route, it's easy to defend a speed receiver. That's why few - comparatively speaking - pan out.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He has average speed for NFL standards with 4.5. That’s why he got clamped down when he was playing #1 CB vs Chiefs, Denver, & Raiders game.
That’s why he got clamped down? Dumb! Of course speed helps a guy get open, but a guy with CD’s quickness and agility has plenty of speed to get open.

kskboys

Reaction score

Beasely wasn't fast.

kskboys

Reaction score
That’s why he got clamped down? Dumb! Of course speed helps a guy get open, but a guy with CD’s quickness and agility has plenty of speed to get open.
Questions still remain as to CeeDee's ability to consistently create separation, as well as taking the physical beating that a #1 has to take. These questions should be answered soon.

Also, can he handle press coverage w/ his build? Maybe that's what some teams did to him to cause him to not produce?

DonaldM

Reaction score
Because we have Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson at QB.

Those teams focused on the defense too and it paid off. Hopefully it does for us too.
Just don't go jumping back on the wagon once we win the first 6 games and Dak is lighting it up. Otherwise keep up the entertaining posts.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Just don't go jumping back on the wagon once we win the first 6 games and Dak is lighting it up. Otherwise keep up the entertaining posts.
You think we're winning the first 6 games with the Bucs, Bengals, Eagles, and Rams among our first 6 games?? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Don't fall for the fools gold, brother. This team can go 17-0 and i'll fully expect them to not win a playoff game.

DonaldM

Reaction score
The number one is simply a decoy to take away the best cb. You don't throw at Deion much.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The best ones that are drafted and playing right away as #1 are players with at least 4.4 speed.
Agreed speed is needed, especially in the 4.4 range or faster. But to be fair, Michael Gallup ran a 4.45 40 time (even though he is still rehabbing from a torn ACL. I don't know how much that will slow him down? Also, Simi Fehoko ran a 4.36 40 yard dash, so he should be fast enough. Problem is he might not be quick enough to create separation during his route running when not running straight deep. Undrafted rookie free agent pickup, Jaquarii Robinson, ran a 4.46 40, but he doesn't possess a second gear or quickness to gain separation. Rookie draft pick Jalen Tolbert ran a 4.48 40, but he's closer to a 4.5 speed than actually having good speed to his game. Everyone else runs in the 4.5 or 4.6 speed area, so it does look like our WR crew lacks much needed speed.

DonaldM

Reaction score
You think we're winning the first 6 games with the Bucs, Bengals, Eagles, and Rams among our first 6 games?? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Don't fall for the fools gold, brother. This team can go 17-0 and i'll fully expect them to not win a playoff game.
Lol, anything is possible.
If so it will be due to stupid line penalties, and a crap running game and not Daks play. See Maholmes vs. Bucks