WRs group lacks speed, so If speed is emphasis on defense why not on offense?

quickccc

Reaction score
Whoa now.. Metcalf may not be a 40 yard dash burner but his top end speed is up there with anyone in the league. The dude ran 10.3 in the 100 meters basically on a whim. He trained for a couple weeks and went out there with world class dudes and did not embarrass himself. 10.3 electronic aint playin around..

Ditto here.

Only someone that is Not familiar with Metcalf's profile and background would Not know that he has sprinter speed. And correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't
Metcalf hitting 4.37 at his pre-draft workouts ?

Jenky

Reaction score
Always excuses for the QB. I've never seen someone need so much around him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ditto here.

Only someone that is Not familiar with Metcalf's profile and background would Not know that he has sprinter speed. And correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't
Metcalf hitting 4.37 at his pre-draft workouts ?
Didn't know.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Didn't know.

Odd man.. I don't know how you could have missed all the hoopla over his wanting to try to run in the Olympics last year. So much so that he took some time off from football training to speed train and entered a qualifying meet against some of the world's best. He did come in dead last, but that's only because the other people in the race were running at warp speed. Metcalf is the big mother in blue or is that black? in lane 2.

kskboys

Reaction score
Odd man.. I don't know how you could have missed all the hoopla over his wanting to try to run in the Olympics last year. So much so that he took some time off from football training to speed train and entered a qualifying meet against some of the world's best. He did come in dead last, but that's only because the other people in the race were running at warp speed. Metcalf is the big mother in blue or is that black? in lane 2.

Dammmmm

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Whoa now.. Metcalf may not be a 40 yard dash burner but his top end speed is up there with anyone in the league. The dude ran 10.3 in the 100 meters basically on a whim. He trained for a couple weeks and went out there with world class dudes and did not embarrass himself. 10.3 electronic aint playin around..
DK ran a 4.33 at the combine.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This is exactly why I bring in guys like Fehoko, and Roberson.

People are pushing for TJ Vasher, but he also can't beat you deep.

Roberson has a 9.02 RAS and runs a 4.4. He reminds me a lot of Wilson.

Fehoko, a 4.3. What he can do at the NFL level has yet to be determined, but he certainly looked the part in college. Has a superfast burst.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is exactly why I bring in guys like Fehoko, and Roberson.

People are pushing for TJ Vasher, but he also can't beat you deep.

Roberson has a 9.02 RAS and runs a 4.4. He reminds me a lot of Wilson.

Fehoko, a 4.3. What he can do at the NFL level has yet to be determined, but he certainly looked the part in college. Has a superfast burst.
Top Receivers in Cowboys history:
Mike Irvin
Drew Pearson
Dez (for a short few years)

None of them broke 4.5 in the forty.

Scotman

Reaction score
I'm all for finding a WR with absolutely blazing speed. Just make sure he's a dang good football player first and fast second. Bob Hayes was a great football player who happened to be a world class speedster. Having world class speed and an inability to play football at the same level nets you guys like Alexander Wright.

Speed is important. Route running and hands trump speed every time.

Dre11

Reaction score
Would love to have a burner that can play on this team. Someone opposing defenses fear, like DeSean Jackson was feared

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
105 the fan mentioned that offense was struggling vs defense due to lack of separation by the WRs. If the organization doesn’t address this issue then it will carry on to the regular season with the team taking losses.

Need get get a small shifty WR with speed for deep threat and slot play.

This upcoming season will show that the WR corp is not finished yet.

I have a fear that this play out the same as the year we had to make moves to get Amari Cooper.

We may be in the "same crap, different year" mode.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Top Receivers in Cowboys history:
Mike Irvin
Drew Pearson
Dez (for a short few years)

None of them broke 4.5 in the forty.

Lamb plays plenty fast, Tolbert plays fast enough, Washington plays faster on tape than he times, Gallup, we all know what he does. IMO, he'll be the guy to replace Cooper's production. We need Tolbert to replace Wilson's production, generally speaking. So, I think those guys are up to the task. Plus, we have several others on the roster who would make for interesting additions to the receiver room. I'm excited to see who breaks the roster.

But we also need some of the 4th,5th guys on the roster to pitch in here and there in clutch situations, when he have more WRs on the field.

I know not every WR has to have blazing speed, but it is the NFL, so speed never hurts. We'd be foolish to think that speed didn't matter. But I do get your point about speed not being everything. It's just that that goes without saying. Most of us long-time Cowboys fans are well aware that it's more about angles and timing than just pure speed.