WVU to Join Big 12 Pending Missouri Move

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Report: WVU to Join Big 12 Pending Missouri Move

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 10:14 AM MDT
Posted by Geoff Coyle

MORGANTOWN -

Multiple reports citing college football sources indicate that West Virginia University would be extended an official invitation to the Big 12 Conference if Missouri were to leave for the SEC.

Throughout this wait-and-see scenario for the Mountaineers, it has been clear that no move to the Big 12 would even be considered without the Tigers first leaving a void. Should the void exist, though, it now appears that WVU is the top choice to fill it.

CBS Sports reported Tuesday that an invitation to West Virginia could come within 24-48 hours of Missouri's exit.

Click here to read the entire article:

http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/15870455/report-wvu-to-join-big-12-pending-missouri-move

MC KAos

Reaction score
they say now that they are coming no matter what happens with MIZZOU. I like this! i hope we get either cincy or louisville for all sports, boise for football only, and ND for non FB sports! that would make the big 12 easily the second best football conference in the nation! im so glad the big 12 stayed together and we have our own conference here in the texas/oklahoma/middle of the country area!

West Virginia>Mizzou
TCU>A&M

Big 12 going forward>the past!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There is an issue with the Big East on this. The Big East is blocking both Pitt and Syracuse from leaving for the ACC. I suspect that the same thing will happen with WV. From what I understand, it is not a trivial amount so I doubt that WV will get approved by the Big 12 for 2012 unless Missouri actually leaves. However, if Missouri does leave, the Big 12 almost has to do this and then I think they probably put up the money on behalf of WV and they come on over.

I actually see this being TCU, BYU and WV, assuming Missouri departs. That would make a lot of sense to me. I don't think I would invite ND unless they bring football. There is not really much advantage otherwise. They might help Basketball but it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me unless they join and bring Basketball with them. IDK.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Geographically it's odd, but they certainly contribute in the football/basketball arena...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4201860 said:
WVU would be great for the Big 12. I'm on board.

I agree. Better programs in both Football and Basketball. I actually hope it works just like this. Better for Missouri because this is what they want to do anyway. So what if they get the crap kicked out of themselves week in. week out. Better for WV I think because they join a better conference and make more money. Better for the Conference because WV's program is better then Missouri's.

If Missouri want's to leave, I say make them pay to leave and let them go.

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4201831 said:
they say now that they are coming no matter what happens with MIZZOU. I like this! i hope we get either cincy or louisville for all sports, boise for football only, and ND for non FB sports! that would make the big 12 easily the second best football conference in the nation! im so glad the big 12 stayed together and we have our own conference here in the texas/oklahoma/middle of the country area!

West Virginia>Mizzou
TCU>A&M

Big 12 going forward>the past!
You and I agree on a lot, Kos.

But, uh, no...TCU's athletic program is not even close to TAM's. I'm not even sure their football program is, let alone the whole package.

WVU has at least has an argument vs Mizzou. I wish WVU had a partner from that region to come with them.

And both are lower academically.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;4201853 said:
There is an issue with the Big East on this. The Big East is blocking both Pitt and Syracuse from leaving for the ACC. I suspect that the same thing will happen with WV. From what I understand, it is not a trivial amount so I doubt that WV will get approved by the Big 12 for 2012 unless Missouri actually leaves. However, if Missouri does leave, the Big 12 almost has to do this and then I think they probably put up the money on behalf of WV and they come on over.

I actually see this being TCU, BYU and WV, assuming Missouri departs. That would make a lot of sense to me. I don't think I would invite ND unless they bring football. There is not really much advantage otherwise. They might help Basketball but it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me unless they join and bring Basketball with them. IDK.

I think there have been some leaked documents that Syracuse and Pitt will get out without the 27 month waiting period, they will just have to pay some more money than the $5 million exit fee (yes they raised the exit fee to $10 million recently but that only goes into place after another team comes into the big east).

Concerning BYU. I don't see them bringing them in right now.

WVU replaces Missouri
TCU replaces A$M

So that takes it back to 10 teams, which seems to be what it will be for now. If they brought in BYU as well they would have to add another team to make it twelve.

There have been reports that ND will come in as all sports except football. Have read it from a few different places. I would hope that the Big XII would say all sports (including football) or nothing. ND has got away from that for way to long in the Big East.

I am just so happy to get away from the Idiot Big East Commish. The guy is clueless and only interested in Basketball.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DFWJC;4201887 said:
You and I agree on a lot, Kos.

But, uh, no...TCU's athletic program is not even close to TAM's. I'm not even sure their football program is, let alone the whole package.

WVU has at least has an argument vs Mizzou. I wish WVU had a partner from that region to come with them.
And both are lower academically.

Most WVU fans I have spoken with really hoped that Lousiville would come with us in some kind of package deal.

Hopefully they will come aboard later.

I think these moves make the Big XII the best Football/Basketball combo conference.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sam I Am;4201893 said:
It said WVU is coming to the Big 12 even if Missouri stays. Though the Big East could delay the move up to 27 months.

They also said the Big 12 is happy at 10 members, but the future is 12. So, my guess is they are waiting to see if Missouri stays. If they don't they will add two more teams after WVU.

Unless some crazy last second thing happens...Missouri is gone.

DFWJC

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4201895 said:
Most WVU fans I have spoken with really hoped that Lousiville would come with us in some kind of package deal.

Hopefully they will come aboard later.

I think these moves make the Big XII the best Football/Basketball combo conference.
I was thinking that with Pitt being gone, Louisville would be a good pairing....or maybe Cincy. WVU is better overall than both though.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4201890 said:
There have been reports that ND will come in as all sports except football. Have read it from a few different places. I would hope that the Big XII would say all sports (including football) or nothing. ND has got away from that for way to long in the Big East.

I think ND is the reason the Big 12 isn't trying to add another school right now. (besides WVU that is) If Missouri stays and WVU joins, ND could be the 12th school. If they add someone else now and Missouri stays, they are already at the max of 12 they want and would get ND if they decided to join a conference.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Why exactly does the SEC even want Missouri? There is better low hanging fruit out there. Do they just want another team in-conference to kick around?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4201912 said:
Why exactly does the SEC even want Missouri? There is better low hanging fruit out there. Do they just want another team in-conference to kick around?

They want the St. Louis television market... big bucks when negotiating a TV deal...

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4201912 said:
St Louis and Kansas City mkts.

Plus Missouri's overall athletic program is fairly decent and their academics (like A&Ms) is better than the average SEC school.
The ADs and their bosses (the school presidents) each get votes on this.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue;4201917 said:
They want the St. Louis television market... big bucks when negotiating a TV deal...

That is it. That is the main thing.

They can claim the AAU status but it is all about the television markets.

Let you in on some info as well...This was SEC Commish Slive that pushed missouri. Initially they could not get enough votes from the schools in the sec while WVU had the votes. The majority of the ADs wanted WVU over Missouri.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
trickblue;4201917 said:

Make sense. Although Cincinnati is about the same size. I guess the benefit would be not competing with Ohio State for viewers going with Missouri. Though Ohio has almost twice the population as Missouri.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4201929 said:
Make sense. Although Cincinnati is about the same size. I guess the benefit would be not competing with Ohio State for viewers going with Missouri. Though Ohio has almost twice the population as Missouri.
Cincinnati is at least a little bit like TCU (or SMU, or Houston) in that they are are in a decent TV market but do not command the attention. But Cincy does pull more than TCU--maybe because they have a larger fan and alumni base.

Missouri's following is much larger than both of them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4201890 said:
I think there have been some leaked documents that Syracuse and Pitt will get out without the 27 month waiting period, they will just have to pay some more money than the $5 million exit fee (yes they raised the exit fee to $10 million recently but that only goes into place after another team comes into the big east).

Concerning BYU. I don't see them bringing them in right now.

WVU replaces Missouri
TCU replaces A$M

So that takes it back to 10 teams, which seems to be what it will be for now. If they brought in BYU as well they would have to add another team to make it twelve.

I am just so happy to get away from the Idiot Big East Commish. The guy is clueless and only interested in Basketball.

Don't sleep on BYU Brain. Something is going on there. There are a lot of very subtle reports on BYU and the Big 12. I think it's going to happen and I think the 4th team in that scenario might end up being Louisville.