Xavier Su'a-Filo Start over Connor

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Lol so much for Connor feet

Let me point out on that play that Cameron Fleming did an absolutely excellent job of walling off two defenders. Because of that Williams' man was the only one who had a shot on the cutback. If Williams had either pushed his man to the right side or cut him off to the left, Pollard wouldn't have been touched.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
What was I wrong about? What should I be eating crow about?

I wasn’t hating on Xavier. Just saying he is a back-up level player. Which he is.

There are reasons the cowboys started winning.

Reason #1 is Amari Cooper.

Reason #2 Dak had time to pass

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
lol,..i thought it was the comedy central hour show once I read the title and discussion topic. Can we really take this serious ?
So we'd bench a much superior pass blocker and athlete ( Connor W.) ..over a guy that still has his struggles with movement and the more he has to play, the more he seems to wear down and
struggle that much more?.. (Xavier Sua Filo).. ..

it's a possibility that if McGovern had been healthy, Filo stood a big chance of being cut at final roster cut time.
What's funny I almost said the same thing about McGovern. If he is healthy than Sua'filo is gone. Sometimes I don't think these guys watch the tape, they just make stuff up or say what someone else said.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I feel like Xavier gets too much credit because him starting last year, coincided with the winning streak.

But the winning streak really had nothing to do with his individual performance at guard.

He is a backup level player. He is on the roster bubble. Whether he makes the roster or not, probably depends on McGoverns injury situation.

If McGovern was healthy, he would be outplaying Xavier IMO.
I have tried to explain this to folks. Not only the win streak but the change at OL coach. It tells me these guys didn't watch Sua'filo play when they say he is a very good player or good player.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have tried to explain this to folks. Not only the win streak but the change at OL coach. It tells me these guys didn't watch Sua'filo play when they say he is a very good player or good player.

He’s just not very good.

He is decent and plays with good power when he gets his hands on people.

But he has slow and sloppy footwork, and lacks athleticism to deal with quick penetrating DT’s.

No disrespect to him. He’s a decent backup level player. There is nothing wrong with being a backup in the NFL. That still makes you one of the best players In the world and you can still make a lot of money.

If the cowboys didn’t draft McGovern he would be a lock to make the roster IMO as a backup. But he is on the bubble because he is the 9th OL player.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He’s just not very good.

But he has slow and sloppy footwork, and lacks athleticism to deal with quick penetrating DT’s.

No disrespect to him. He’s a decent backup level player. There is nothing wrong with being a backup in the NFL. That still makes you one of the best players In the world and you can still make a lot of money.

If the cowboys didn’t draft McGovern he would be a lock to make the roster IMO as a backup. But he is on the bubble because he is the 9th OL player.
I can't disagree with anything you said. I agree

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
He’s just not very good.

Lets see who starts game 1.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Zach Martin (16th pick) and Xavier Su'a Filo (33rd pick) were the top 2 Offensive Guards selected in the 2014 NFL draft.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Next year....

RT-Williams.
RG-Martin.
C-Fredrick.
LG-McGovern.
LT-Smith.

We draft Smith's eventual replace next year in the 2nd or 3rd.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I don't know if Su'a-Filo even makes the roster.

He should be starting over that fool Conner Williams. People will give credit to the offense taking off last year to Cooper...but it was Filo that opened up the run game...and kept Prescott from running for his life.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Connor got thrown to the ground like a ragdoll on that TD. Never have I seen a player have more excuses offered for him while others get the "bust" label thrown out almost immediately. Look at how Trysten Hill even has that word thrown around and Taco got it early too. Heck, even DLaw had a bust label early on. All I ever heard for Connor last year is, "well once he gets more weight on him ..." and on and on and on while Dak was getting harassed early last year because of him.

Dude must be a mobster. I'm going to start calling him "The Teflon Con(nor)"
Dual meaning.

Actually, its just simple common knowledge that most of these guys arent going to knock it out of the park early. And the big knock on Connor was that he was a little light, so what happened to him made perfect sense in every way.

The kid has put on 15 pounds and is right on track. Has he looked bad in preseason because I havent heard it.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Next year....

RT-Williams.
RG-Martin.
C-Fredrick.
LG-McGovern.
LT-Smith.

We draft Smith's eventual replace next year in the 2nd or 3rd.

I think we draft a T too, but Tyron is only going to be 29 this year and he has 5 seasons on his contract. I think it'll be more for swing T (for when Fleming leaves), and to grow into RT so there's competition there, and we aren't obligated to re-sign Williams. So, you have a young, cheap swing T that can push for a starting spot, and in a few years you can just slide him in.

If that guy we draft ends up being able to play LT eventually, that'd be sweet. Seems like it'd be pretty lucky, off the top of my head I want to say good LTs usually require some investment.

I do like this OL draft strategy though, I hope we keep it up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idk about y’all but I like the way
Xavier Su'a-Filo plays with physicality yet able to move laterally. I would rather have him start over Connor Williams and complete this line. Pollards big run came on his side?

If not carry extra OL & keep 5 WRs with ability of Pollard/Zeke to come out of the backfield.
No!

Su'a Filo is a decent backup but he has never developed consistency and he has been in the NFL for 5 years.

You really really don't want me to make a Su'a Filo low-lights video.

He'll be really good for several plays and then just whiff on just straight forward blocks.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Williams is far better than most think. McGovern will get well and become an outstanding player. few understand the damage done by paul alexander in his short stay here. lots of bad work to be undone. why oh why did we ever let frank pollack go. worst move in years. bring back frank.
Ya, as upon reflection? That FUBAR fiasco of dragging in that Bengals O.L. coach was pretty much indicative of some form of cluelessly grasping at straws ,allowing him to revamp that formerly pretty good zone blocking line into whatever arrayed loser crap facsimile, that the Bengals had enough of& bounced him , what un-Footballish type idiot, head- hunted& signed off on his hiring, anyway?

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Huh???? Connor Williams has had one of the best camps this year. What are some of you watching?????

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lets see who starts game 1.
CW will start game 1 unless he has injury issues.

Su'a Filo might not make the 53.

CW started 10 regular season games plus both playoff games last season.

CW was out 3 games with an injury.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
No!

Su'a Filo is a decent backup but he has never developed consistency and he has been in the NFL for 5 years.

You really really don't want me to make a Su'a Filo low-lights video.

He'll be really good for several plays and then just whiff on just straight forward blocks.

I gave you example of Connor whiffing... it happens
The only reason Connor is propped up on this site & by the team is due to the high draft pick.