Y’all ready?

Hardline

Reaction score
My guess would be top 3.

Sure, the team can take a swing at a QB but I think you'd be surprised to see how low the hit rate is on 1st round QBs over the last several years. It's eye opening.
You have to keep swinging until you hit on one.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I will say just for pure fantasy, Anderson + Parsons, lol, would QB even matter?
Would Left Tackle even matter?

How would teams scheme against those two coming from either direction. Insane.

It’d be epic but would we still get run all over against playoff caliber teams?

cnuball21

Reaction score
You have to keep swinging until you hit on one.

I’ve experienced that pre Romo…it was a miserable, miserable experience. It takes a lot of things to win in the playoffs. Look at Stafford…I think he was a good QB with 1 playoff win until he went to the all star Rams.

Problem is we could draft a QB and they do hit…that doesn’t change the biggest problem of our franchise which is talent eval. and roster management.

Hardline

Reaction score
I’ve experienced that pre Romo…it was a miserable, miserable experience. It takes a lot of things to win in the playoffs. Look at Stafford…I think he was a good QB with 1 playoff win until he went to the all star Rams.

Problem is we could draft a QB and they do hit…that doesn’t change the biggest problem of our franchise which is talent eval. and roster management.
The Cowboys haven't used a 1st round pick on a QB since Aikman. They haven't been swinging since then.
Steve Walsh was a #1 pick in the supplemental draft if you want to count that.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Bryce young would take ceedee and this team with a fresh RB right back to 2016 it would be a good thing… let him sit for 1 year and learn under Payton

cnuball21

Reaction score
The Cowboys haven't used a 1st round pick on a QB since Aikman. They haven't been swinging since then.
Steve Walsh was a #1 pick in the supplemental draft if you want to count that.

I understand, but they’ve had good QBs in Romo and Dak for the last decade +. Taking a 1st round QB also doesn’t change anything about what I said prior.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Bryce young would take ceedee and this team with a fresh RB right back to 2016 it would be a good thing… let him sit for 1 year and learn under Payton

If only it was that easy…I remember the boards loved the idea of drafting Fields if he fell. Heck I would’ve considered it…but look at his situation in Chicago. Poor OL play and a lack of playmakers. His situation / team has made him probably look worse than rightfully so.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
If only it was that easy…I remember the boards loved the idea of drafting Fields if he fell. Heck I would’ve considered it…but look at his situation in Chicago. Poor OL play and a lack of playmakers. His situation / team has made him probably look worse than rightfully so.
I think we're 2 drafts away from a solid rebuild but we need to go QB with RD 1 starting this draft and the way I see it even if Dak plays next year he can sit and learn...Dak won't do much with this roster we can franchise tag CeeDee Lamb and then build from the second draft (oline/dline) and hopefully still have enough money to resign micah...diggs likely goes to another team...new coach like SP could take his hand picked QB to the next level here

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ready to start talking draft? Looks like we’ll be picking early…lol.
Going by some mocks now, edge and OT could be good possibilities if we wind up in the 8 -15 range. Skoronski and Johnson at OT. Murphy and Anudike-Uzomah at Edge.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If we’re picking top 7/8 Anderson and Carter are probably my top 2 targets but think both will be gone.

Early reports have the kid from NW as the top OT so he’ll be in the radar as well.
Skoronski can play anywhere on the line. Smith may have LT locked down by the end of the season, but in todays NFL an RT is definitely worth a pick in the top half of the first. Even if Smith locks down LT, im not opposed to pairing him with an elite RT.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’d be epic but would we still get run all over against playoff caliber teams?
How good is Bohanna this year, and can we effectively use the 4i with what he have ( Golston, Ridgeway, Odighizuwa).

If those awnsers and 1) Good and 2) yes, our run defense should be solid. But big if's even after a week or real football

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think we're 2 drafts away from a solid rebuild but we need to go QB with RD 1 starting this draft and the way I see it even if Dak plays next year he can sit and learn...Dak won't do much with this roster we can franchise tag CeeDee Lamb and then build from the second draft (oline/dline) and hopefully still have enough money to resign micah...diggs likely goes to another team...new coach like SP could take his hand picked QB to the next level here

I think your vastly over estimating how easy a rebuild would be.

- If we draft a QB it is likely 3 years before they hit their stride IF we hit on the pick (big if)
- Martin likely on decline by that time
- Tyron likely retired
- DLaw on decline
- Zeke likely off roster

So if, again big if, we hit on the QB we’ll likely have a handful of our current best players on the decline or off the roster. We then have to rebuild the OL and fill addl holes on roster. For a team that refuses to add talent via FA best case scenario is we’d be relevant in 3/4+ years if we’re lucky.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
Ideal situation with Prescott out most of the season - We get the top pick (wouldn’t of thought this is possible but after week one and Prescott hurt that is a possibility). Trade it for a kings ransom, especially if the consensus is around the 2 QBs. Can’t really draft a QB with Prescotts contract. But in a hypothetical situation Detroit is at #3 and is desperate for QB - trade the top pick in the draft for #3, next years first and Jameson Williams. Now your looking at Will Allen or Jalen Carter with the much needed speed receiver to take the top off the defense. This sucks that I’m already thinking about the draft but after week 1 but that was about as bad as you can get.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Ideal situation with Prescott out most of the season - We get the top pick (wouldn’t of thought this is possible but after week one and Prescott hurt that is a possibility). Trade it for a kings ransom, especially if the consensus is around the 2 QBs. Can’t really draft a QB with Prescotts contract. But in a hypothetical situation Detroit is at #3 and is desperate for QB - trade the top pick in the draft for #3, next years first and Jameson Williams. Now your looking at Will Allen or Jalen Carter with the much needed speed receiver to take the top off the defense. This sucks that I’m already thinking about the draft but after week 1 but that was about as bad as you can get.

If Dak does come back and sucks, which I find highly unlikely, I’d consider taking a QB. Problem is we’d be looking at a full blown rebuild and as long as the Jones are in charge they’ll never admit it or go about it the right way.

Dak is a good QB in his prime. I think if we can just build around him he can make a playoff run. If we’re drafting top 5, I’m targeting Anderson / DT from UGA or trade down.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
If Dak does come back and sucks, which I find highly unlikely, I’d consider taking a QB. Problem is we’d be looking at a full blown rebuild and as long as the Jones are in charge they’ll never admit it or go about it the right way.

Dak is a good QB in his prime. I think if we can just build around him he can make a playoff run. If we’re drafting top 5, I’m targeting Anderson / DT from UGA or trade down.
I think the most likely situation is Prescott misses 8 weeks and comes back after the bye - we could 1-7. Things could be over at this point. I’m not saying tank at this point of the season but I’m playing guys like Williams instead of Fowler and Basham - Joseph to see if he can actually play. Keep Farniak at guard to see if he could be a starter. Can Tolbert be a 3. Can Rico be a consistent RB with Zeke and Pollard most likely gone. Meanwhile try to develop some chemistry between Dak and Ceedee. The worst situation would be to go like 6-11 and lose out for the top players in the draft. The easiest rebuild would be to get the 1st or 2nd pick and hold teams like Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Houston possibly Philly hostage for a QB.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think the most likely situation is Prescott misses 8 weeks and comes back after the bye - we could 1-7. Things could be over at this point. I’m not saying tank at this point of the season but I’m playing guys like Williams instead of Fowler and Basham - Joseph to see if he can actually play. Keep Farniak at guard to see if he could be a starter. Can Tolbert be a 3. Can Rico be a consistent RB with Zeke and Pollard most likely gone. Meanwhile try to develop some chemistry between Dak and Ceedee. The worst situation would be to go like 6-11 and lose out for the top players in the draft. The easiest rebuild would be to get the 1st or 2nd pick and hold teams like Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Houston possibly Philly hostage for a QB.

I think this is spot on. I agree when Dak comes back there’s no way this team will try to tank, but we need to see our young players to see what they have.

Williams, Tolbert, Bland, Cox etc…I could see us in the 6-10 ish range which will still need us a top 11ish pick which will help.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
I think your vastly over estimating how easy a rebuild would be.

- If we draft a QB it is likely 3 years before they hit their stride IF we hit on the pick (big if)
- Martin likely on decline by that time
- Tyron likely retired
- DLaw on decline
- Zeke likely off roster

So if, again big if, we hit on the QB we’ll likely have a handful of our current best players on the decline or off the roster. We then have to rebuild the OL and fill addl holes on roster. For a team that refuses to add talent via FA best case scenario is we’d be relevant in 3/4+ years if we’re lucky.

1st rd QB's do well going into their second year. Trade DLaw while he is worth something - cut zeke for cap. Like mentioned above - focus heavily on drafting O-Line we are due this team cannot do squat the way it is built rn.