Yahoo Troy Aikman Article

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Aikman is a worthy HOFer in my book, but the people playing fantasy with notion of “if he was called on to throw he would have set the league on fire!!!” are treating speculation as fact.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
You mean what are the numbers when he had a HOF running back, HOF WR, one of the best OLs ever and a top 5 defense every year from 1992-1996? They are better. Imagine that.

But they count. You cherry picked his worst games vs his complete resume, which I just posted. It’s laughable. A QBs job is to win playoff gsmes and SBs and he did it in an era where it was tougher to play QB. Can you tell me what Romo did at nut cutting time in final regular season games or playoffs?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
It is the perfect analogy to his career. Given poor options (holding as a starting QB and given a slicked ball), he would have still done something with it, but his teammates let him down when it matters (in this case the kicker not slowing down the one guy that could make the play).

Oh please, he fumbled the ball and then tried to make a desperation play and got swamped. No matter how you cut it, that was on him. The snap wasn't bad, it came right to him and he fumbled. But yea, it's everyone else's fault. I remember even towards the end of his career he would toss interceptions and Cowboy fans would say, I thought he had learned to not throw those passes. Not our gunslinger Romo, never learned because football was never that big a deal for him. He was the consummate loser that never did anything. You want to talk about carrying your team, how about failing to beat the Giants in the playoffs after going 13-3? Another example of his "close but never there" career. Sure people want to blame Patrick Crayton, but these same people will wax poetic about quarterbacks carrying their team. Well where was Tony Romo?

Miller

Reaction score
What accuracy records did Aikman break?

He was a top 5 historical accuracy passer his first 3 playoff runs. In fact his total playoff QB rating would have been top 3 for all the regular seasons he played and his post-season passer rating is higher than regular season ratings from Dan Marino, John Elway, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, and every quarterback in the league from 1989-2000 that didn't play for the 49ers under Bill Walsh. Basically he excelled when the stakes were high

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Troy would have made sure Garrett was fired for incompetence and that Jerry had an adequate supporting cast for him because Troy EXPECTED to be a winner and EXPECTED to win SBs. Tony was happy to be the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. He wanted to win SBs but didn't EXPECT it of himself and didn't know how to lead the team to get it done. Tony is a 'settler' and Troy is a winner. Tony and Garrett and Jerry were made for each other. All 3 happy to be mediocre and 'relevant'

It's not an accident that Troy won 3 SBs and Tony never even sniffed one. They're not in the same conversation.

Exactly, Troy hate the way Switzer ran things because he wanted accountability and demanded that every player do their part. Tony Romo, well football's football. It was a means for him to be the face of the most valuable franchise and got him to sleep with celebrities. That was his Super Bowl.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Troy was most likely being kind. Tony Romo was an average QB who had a few decent games. Never really did anything, certainly didn't carry the team like some folks around her claim he did. If he did it was to an 8-8 finish which like his whole career was average.

First I do not believe that Romo was a better QB than Aikman.

However, Aikman being "kind" on this subject would be wildly out of character for him. He surely isn't kind to Dak Prescott when he calls his games.

When Aikman is kind he doesn't say much of anything at all.

He gets plenty of flak from the fans for not being kind to the Cowboys on game day.

So, I don't think Aikman is the kind of guy to just blow smoke and play humble and say something he doesn't believe. I haven't seen him do it very often, and don't know why he'd choose to do so with Romo.

So, while we may not agree with his statement, I do believe that Aikman's opinion there was genuine.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
But they count. You cherry picked his worst games vs his complete resume, which I just posted. It’s laughable. A QBs job is to win playoff gsmes and SBs and he did it in an era where it was tougher to play QB. Can you tell me what Romo did at nut cutting time in final regular season games or playoffs?
I didn't cherry pick them... the point was, when Troy played on super duper teams that were eons better than anything Romo played on, he was great. When he played on teams more similar to Romo's, teams that squeaked into the playoffs instead of dominating the league, he was not nearly as great.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
First I do not believe that Romo was a better QB than Aikman.

However, Aikman being "kind" on this subject would be wildly out of character for him. He surely isn't kind to Dak Prescott when he calls his games.

When Aikman is kind he doesn't say much of anything at all.

He gets plenty of flak from the fans for not being kind to the Cowboys on game day.

So, I don't think Aikman is the kind of guy to just blow smoke and play humble and say something he doesn't believe. I haven't seen him do it very often, and don't know why he'd choose to do so with Romo.

So, while we may not agree with his statement, I do believe that Aikman's opinion there was genuine.

Being an announcer on Television means that Aikman is doing his job and not being a homer. I've always found it funny that people expect him to be a Cowboy homer on television. The same guy has done radio interviews on the Ticket where he has unequivocally stated that he thinks Dak Prescott is the right QB for Dallas. Personally I like that he isn't being a homer when he is doing his job, because his job is to comment on the game, not let his Dallas Cowboys colors fly.

Gator88

Reaction score
Oh please, he fumbled the ball and then tried to make a desperation play and got swamped. No matter how you cut it, that was on him. The snap wasn't bad, it came right to him and he fumbled. But yea, it's everyone else's fault. I remember even towards the end of his career he would toss interceptions and Cowboy fans would say, I thought he had learned to not throw those passes. Not our gunslinger Romo, never learned because football was never that big a deal for him. He was the consummate loser that never did anything. You want to talk about carrying your team, how about failing to beat the Giants in the playoffs after going 13-3? Another example of his "close but never there" career. Sure people want to blame Patrick Crayton, but these same people will wax poetic about quarterbacks carrying their team. Well where was Tony Romo?
:rolleyes: this is terrible logic.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
So that season falls on the shoulders of one player?

Is that really where you’re at with your football analysis?

Also, we keep hearing about how Tony Romo carried this team. Well on the biggest and brightest stage where was he? What did he carry?

Gator88

Reaction score
So where did he carry that 13-3 team? Straight to a first round loss in the playoffs to a wildcard team.
Even with Crayton giving up 11 points singlehandedly, the Cowboys still scored more points in the playoffs against the Giants than the 18-0 Patriots did. I don't think he did great, but he did admirably considering the other 9 players on offense other than Romo and Witten played horribly in the second half.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Being an announcer on Television means that Aikman is doing his job and not being a homer. I've always found it funny that people expect him to be a Cowboy homer on television. The same guy has done radio interviews on the Ticket where he has unequivocally stated that he thinks Dak Prescott is the right QB for Dallas. Personally I like that he isn't being a homer when he is doing his job, because his job is to comment on the game, not let his Dallas Cowboys colors fly.

In another interview on the Ticket in October Aikman lit into Dak on his accuracy and on weather he has the ability to improve.

I think there's a difference between Aikman evaluating talent overall and evaluating fit. He's also said the Cowboys should pay Prescott, so another point to your favor.

Still, I think Aikman is less of a homer than most, and when offering evaluation of talent is offering his honest opinions. He was very favorable of Romo's abilities when calling his games, but not favorable of his decision making, so there's that.

If I'd heard that statement from a guy like Michael Irvin, I'd not give it a lot of weight. But I respect Aikman's analysis personally a bit more, even if I don't really agree with it. But hey, I'm way less the expert he is.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
How about the team that went 13-3? What did Mr. Romo do with that team? Right, it was always someone else's fault right?
Wow one good team.

Please show me the five consecutive Cowboy teams that Tony played with that were top 5 defense in the league like Troy had from 1992-1996. Please show me the wide receiver that Tony played with his whole career that was as good as Michael Irvin. Please show me the running back he played with his whole career that was as good as Emmitt Smith. Maybe you can also show me the offensive line that Tony played with that had a documentary created about them while you're at it? Time to go to bed, troll. You're not good at this.

Was there ever a documentary for Alex Barron and Mackenzy Bernadeau?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He was a top 5 historical accuracy passer his first 3 playoff runs. In fact his total playoff QB rating would have been top 3 for all the regular seasons he played and his post-season passer rating is higher than regular season ratings from Dan Marino, John Elway, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, and every quarterback in the league from 1989-2000 that didn't play for the 49ers under Bill Walsh. Basically he excelled when the stakes were high

He “excelled” with a nearly 1:1 TD:INT ratio (21-17) and are you seriously trying to compare an insanely small sample size of post season games to the hundreds of regular season games guys like Elway, Moon, Kelly, et cetera played?

Yeah, you’re approaching this rationally and objectively.

Miller

Reaction score
I didn't cherry pick them... the point was, when Troy played on super duper teams that were eons better than anything Romo played on, he was great. When he played on teams more similar to Romo's, teams that squeaked into the playoffs instead of dominating the league, he was not nearly as great.

But Romo has really good teams capable of winning late and in the playoffs and if “surrounded by great team” was a criteria there would be no great QBs because besides maybe Marino all great QBs won surrounded by talent...Elway didn’t win a SB until he got Davis, Bradshaw surrounded by HOFers..same with any 49er team or Staubach Cowboy team. That’s a crazy way to rate a guy. You still have to throw the pass in the window to Irvin. Many it’s fail. Romo being one