Yakuza Rich: My meaningless thoughts on the game...

Temo

Reaction score
I think going for it on 4th down was definitely the right call. Lets assume the FG is a gimmie and doesn't get blocked or miss.

- if they fail on 4th down, then the Commanders have the ball on their own 17 yard line with 1:02 left and no timeouts, needing a touchdown.

- If they kick the FG, now you have to kick off with 1:02 left and, knowing your special teams sucks, have to squib it. Most Squibs still end up around the 40 yard line. Now the Commanders have maybe 55 seconds to score a TD with no timeoutes. I'd take the 7 seconds and push them back 23 yards and risk losing on a TD.

So ALREADY SAYING that the 4th down attempt is going to fail and that the field goal is a gimmie, do:

1. Put the ball on the 17 with 1:02 left up 4.

or

2. Put the ball on the 40 with 0:55 left up 7.

I'd go with 1.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
joe_cowboy;2426031 said:
I think there is that much of an improvement from Spears and Canty to Ratliff, bigger than a move from Ware to Spencer. Yes, there is game planning for Ware, but I am sure there is also some for Ratliff. They both make plays all over the field and don't quit, but the 3 for 1 is just too much for me.

I guess I am crazy!

:confused:

that doesn't make any sense to me. Spencer zero sacks Ware 11.

joe_cowboy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2426035 said:
:confused:

that doesn't make any sense to me. Spencer zero sacks Ware 11.

Ratliff has 6 sacks, Spencer doesn't play much. If you have 3 guys that can rush the passer from the line like Ratt can, it would free up the ends. I am not saying I don't think Ware is awesome and the best defensive player on the team, I am just saying I would rather have 3 excellent players than 1 exceptional player. The great players make the other players better.

If Ellis can get 3 sacks, with more playing time I think Spencer can get more also.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
joe_cowboy;2426046 said:
Ratliff has 6 sacks, Spencer doesn't play much. If you have 3 guys that can rush the passer from the line like Ratt can, it would free up the ends. I am not saying I don't think Ware is awesome and the best defensive player on the team, I am just saying I would rather have 3 excellent players than 1 exceptional player. The great players make the other players better.

If Ellis can get 3 sacks, with more playing time I think Spencer can get more also.

So you want to count their career stats? 3 Ratliff don't equal out to a Ware.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
theebs;2425919 said:
We are playing the niners at home this week not on the road, but it doesnt matter. Mike martz knows how to attack our defense and everyone gets up to play Dallas. And there best playmaker is there tight end. Vernon Davis. Tight ends have been this groups cryptonite.

I hope we continue to play tough low scoring games.

Theebs that was true last year but it seems the Defense has a handle on the tight ends this year. The boys have only allowed opposing tight ends two TDs this year and the yardage they have given up is well average no Tight ends have really torched the Boys. The most any tight end has against us is 47 yds.
Browns
Kellen Winslow 5-47yds 1TD
Eagles
LJ Smith 1-10
B. Celek 1-19
Pack
D. Lee 5-41
Skins
Cooley 4-28
Bengals
R. Kelly 1-10
D. Coates 1-11
Cards
L. Pope 2-12
Rams
None
Bucs
A. Smith 2-39
J. Stevens 3-16
Giants
K. Boss 3-30 1td
Skins
C. Cooley 7-47

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
Temo;2426034 said:
I think going for it on 4th down was definitely the right call. Lets assume the FG is a gimmie and doesn't get blocked or miss.

- if they fail on 4th down, then the Commanders have the ball on their own 17 yard line with 1:02 left and no timeouts, needing a touchdown.

- If they kick the FG, now you have to kick off with 1:02 left and, knowing your special teams sucks, have to squib it. Most Squibs still end up around the 40 yard line. Now the Commanders have maybe 55 seconds to score a TD with no timeoutes. I'd take the 7 seconds and push them back 23 yards and risk losing on a TD.

So ALREADY SAYING that the 4th down attempt is going to fail and that the field goal is a gimmie, do:

or

I'd go with 1.

And another thing Temo to add to your argument: Do you really feel comfortable with our Kick off coverage with the game on the line? I don't I say keep the ball or let their offense have to go the length of the field to score and keep our not so special teams on the bench!!!

joe_cowboy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2426048 said:
So you want to count their career stats? 3 Ratliff don't equal out to a Ware.

True, but looking at him the last 2 seasons, especially this year (when he has been starting), I would make that trade. The first 2 years, no.

It is one of those things that would have to be seen to see what would be better. If we had 3 guys as good as Ratt at the D-line positions (and they were the best players on the front 7), it would be near impossible to double all of them and block the other rusher every down, and with Ratt's ability to beat 1-on-1, the D would apply a lot more pressure, in my opinion. I think down lineman that can penetrate and beat their men are very very valuable.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
goliadmike;2426067 said:
And another thing Temo to add to your argument: Do you really feel comfortable with our Kick off coverage with the game on the line? I don't I say keep the ball or let their offense have to go the length of the field to score and keep our not so special teams on the bench!!!

No one feels comfortable with our STs. They don't want to hit or block.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2425867 said:
- Why I think Ratliff is better than Ware? Because teams can't handle him one-on-one. Unfortunately, he plays the nose and doesn't get many one-on-ones.

Come on man, you have some good points but your ruin them by sticking to this fairy tale.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
goliadmike;2426056 said:
Theebs that was true last year but it seems the Defense has a handle on the tight ends this year. The boys have only allowed opposing tight ends two TDs this year and the yardage they have given up is well average no Tight ends have really torched the Boys. The most any tight end has against us is 47 yds.
Browns
Kellen Winslow 5-47yds 1TD
Eagles
LJ Smith 1-10
G. Lewis 3-36
Pack
D. Lee 5-41
Skins
Cooley 4-28
Bengals
R. Kelly 1-10
D. Coates 1-11
Cards
L. Pope 2-12
Rams
None
Bucs
A. Smith 2-39
J. Stevens 3-16
Giants
K. Boss 3-30 1td
Skins
C. Cooley 7-47
Great post, although Greg Lewis is a WR. Brent Celek is their backup TE.

Temo

Reaction score
goliadmike;2426067 said:

Exactly. It's sad that it's gotten to that point, though.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2425938 said:
he will this week. Get him isolated on davis, james or hamlin and look out.
has a tightend hurt us this year? last year we had a lot of trouble with tightends but I can't think of 1 this year that has had a big game.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
windward;2426077 said:
Great post, although Greg Lewis is a WR. Brent Celek is their backup TE.

Thanks windward I went back and corrected the stat. I looked at the substitution list wrong on gamebooks. Thanks for pointing that out.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
joe_cowboy;2426071 said:
True, but looking at him the last 2 seasons, especially this year (when he has been starting), I would make that trade. The first 2 years, no.

It is one of those things that would have to be seen to see what would be better. If we had 3 guys as good as Ratt at the D-line positions (and they were the best players on the front 7), it would be near impossible to double all of them and block the other rusher every down, and with Ratt's ability to beat 1-on-1, the D would apply a lot more pressure, in my opinion. I think down lineman that can penetrate and beat their men are very very valuable.

Without Ware on the field, Ratliff wouldn't have as many sacks because the backs often would be there to pick him up instead of helping outside on Ware. And Ratliff 1-on-1 against a tackle wouldn't be the mismatch he has 1-on-1 against a center, plus you'd lose at least a little against the run by taking Spears off the field.

At outside linebacker, the dropoff without Ware would be huge. Spencer is a good prospect, but he's no Ware. And without Spencer to rotate in, Ellis would get worn down even more than he does already. Ware is by far our best pass-rusher and quite possibly our best run defender (he or Spears).

Jay

Reaction score
Personally, I think that running the little reverses to Owens is just fine. It keeps the defense honest and he's rushed 5 times for 25 yards. A 5 yard gain isn't a bad thing, and you notice how it also opens up the 2nd line of defenders for Barber when they fake him coming around?

It's a good thing, in my opinion.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Rampage;2426081 said:
has a tightend hurt us this year? last year we had a lot of trouble with tightends but I can't think of 1 this year that has had a big game.
I'm not a huge Roy basher, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is more than a coincidence.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Temo;2426034 said:

or

I'd go with 1.

I was almost incredulous when they went for it on 4th and 2. Why risk giving them the momentum, the ball, and the chance to beat us at home with a touchdown with 60+ seconds or so left in the game. This rivalry is full of last second wins on long passing plays, and we'd already been spooked on a narrow miss on a deep ball to Santana.

I'd forgotten that the announcers had said the wind was swirling, and if Wade really was concerned about Folk at that distance, then going for it was the right decision, but I felt like I was in bizarro-world at the end of the game, screaming for a fg while the team and the announcers all said going for it was the right move.

Fear D-Ware

Reaction score
dmq;2425962 said:
Why in the world can we not move Ware around to create favorable matchups? Especially on passing downs.

i did see ware and spencer switching sides a few times during the game.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Forgot about that 4th down point...I was watching with two friends and we all were split on what was the 'right' thing to do there...Didn't factor the wind into it although that looks to have been an influencing factor

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
- The other major key in my mind (provided Romo is healthy) was Roy Williams who looked decent. But it seemed like on almost every play Romo was talking to him...probably telling him what to do.

In addition to above, did you notice how good Williams was blocking? He had numerous good blocks to help the team. I believe he could be a big asset in the blocking schemes.