Yakuza Rich: My meaningless thoughts on the game...

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
goliadmike;2426056 said:
Theebs that was true last year but it seems the Defense has a handle on the tight ends this year. The boys have only allowed opposing tight ends two TDs this year and the yardage they have given up is well average no Tight ends have really torched the Boys. The most any tight end has against us is 47 yds.
Browns
Kellen Winslow 5-47yds 1TD
Eagles
LJ Smith 1-10
B. Celek 1-19
Pack
D. Lee 5-41
Skins
Cooley 4-28
Bengals
R. Kelly 1-10
D. Coates 1-11
Cards
L. Pope 2-12
Rams
None
Bucs
A. Smith 2-39
J. Stevens 3-16
Giants
K. Boss 3-30 1td
Skins
C. Cooley 7-47

Yep your right. It hasnt been that big of a deal this year and I hope it stays that way, but a guy that can run like davis I am very scared of. Especially with martz calling plays, he just stays aggressive all day.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
theebs;2426130 said:
Yep your right. It hasnt been that big of a deal this year and I hope it stays that way, but a guy that can run like davis I am very scared of. Especially with martz calling plays, he just stays aggressive all day.

I hear ya theebs and I understand where you are coming from (those memories from the giants games still lingers), but we sack the QB and get good pressure. While Martz stays aggressive he does leave his QB exposed quite a lot. If we stay aggressive and turn in another defensive performance like last night we should be alright.

I just want to see the offense keep improving and cut down on the mistakes and tunovers. We do that and I like our chances for the rest of the season.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
joe_cowboy;2426071 said:
True, but looking at him the last 2 seasons, especially this year (when he has been starting), I would make that trade. The first 2 years, no.

It is one of those things that would have to be seen to see what would be better. If we had 3 guys as good as Ratt at the D-line positions (and they were the best players on the front 7), it would be near impossible to double all of them and block the other rusher every down, and with Ratt's ability to beat 1-on-1, the D would apply a lot more pressure, in my opinion. I think down lineman that can penetrate and beat their men are very very valuable.

3x Ratliff past 2 season don't = Ware's last 2 seasons.

joe_cowboy

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2426097 said:
Without Ware on the field, Ratliff wouldn't have as many sacks because the backs often would be there to pick him up instead of helping outside on Ware. And Ratliff 1-on-1 against a tackle wouldn't be the mismatch he has 1-on-1 against a center, plus you'd lose at least a little against the run by taking Spears off the field.

At outside linebacker, the dropoff without Ware would be huge. Spencer is a good prospect, but he's no Ware. And without Spencer to rotate in, Ellis would get worn down even more than he does already. Ware is by far our best pass-rusher and quite possibly our best run defender (he or Spears).

I agree that without Ware on the field, Ratliff gets the double, but having 3 players with his quickness on the line and ability to beat 1-on-1 would be a nightmare for opposing teams. So I am taking trading 1 Ware for 2 additional Ratliffs. I think Ratt has the moves and motor to be effective as a DE in this league. Not trying to diminish Ware, he is awesome.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
windward;2426103 said:
I'm not a huge Roy basher, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is more than a coincidence.
I think a lot factors into it but imo him not being out there helps. our run defense looked pretty good lastnight too.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
theebs;2426130 said:
What works in our favor is that SF's OLine is poor. Not sure about Shaun Hill but when OSullivan was in there, he was getting killed back there.

If we can pressure Hill into mistakes we should win going away.

Another week for Tony to knock off the rust and get familiar with RW11.

i'm optimistic heading into this Sunday.

2much2soon

Reaction score
dmq;2425962 said:
Why in the world can we not move Ware around to create favorable matchups? Especially on passing downs.

If it was up to me, I'd do something totally off the wall at least once a game with Ware.
Like bringing Ellis, Spencer, and Ware over to the right side before the snap and bringing all of them when a sack is really needed.
It just seems like there are a lot of games that Stewart and Wade could play with these pass rushers to totally confuse offenses.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2425964 said:
I wouldn't trade Ware for three Ratliffs.

Are we talking minature Ware for tree minature Ratliffs, one full size Ware for tree minature Ratliffs or one minature Ware for tree full size Ratliffs?

khiladi

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2425964 said:
I wouldn't trade Ware for three Ratliffs.

Are you kidding me? Three Ratliff's would dominate the interior... It is much quicker to get to the QB from the middle then from the edges....

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
khiladi;2426225 said:
Are you kidding me? Three Ratliff's would dominate the interior... It is much quicker to get to the QB from the middle then from the edges....

Ratliff doesn't dominate the interior. He rushes the passer well, he's OK against the run vs. single blocking but not very good against run double-teams. If you have Ratliffs at NT and both DE spots but no Ware on the outside, you're going to be worse off than we are now. Ware is far more important to our defense than just his 11 sacks in 10 games (which by themselves are extremely important), and we don't have anyone remotely capable of replacing him right now.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
windward;2426210 said:
What works in our favor is that SF's OLine is poor. Not sure about Shaun Hill but when OSullivan was in there, he was getting killed back there.

If we can pressure Hill into mistakes we should win going away.

Another week for Tony to knock off the rust and get familiar with RW11.

i'm optimistic heading into this Sunday.

Detroits offensive line was horrendous too for the last two years, but with martz they blocked us good enough to score a ton of points. In 06 they beat us behind a bunch of big offensive plays and points and last year we won a miracle game in detroit after a fluke missed fg.

Martz knows exactly how to attack us and he doesnt care if his qb is getting hit or not getting protected, he just keeps throwing the ball.

I hope we bury hill and make them run, but somehow that guys offense gives our current defense fits.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2426311 said:
Detroits offensive line was horrendous too for the last two years, but with martz they blocked us good enough to score a ton of points. In 06 they beat us behind a bunch of big offensive plays and points and last year we won a miracle game in detroit after a fluke missed fg.

Martz knows exactly how to attack us and he doesnt care if his qb is getting hit or not getting protected, he just keeps throwing the ball.

I hope we bury hill and make them run, but somehow that guys offense gives our current defense fits.

I'd rather Hill try to beat us than Gore.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2426311 said:

it won't happen next week. but I don't know about Thanksgiving since the mighty Hassleback and Branch have returned:eek: .......:laugh2:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Rampage;2426321 said:
it won't happen next week. but I don't know about Thanksgiving since the mighty Hassleback and Branch have returned:eek: .......:laugh2:

Yep, laugh at me all you want, that seattle game is going to be a dogfight.

If they are without trufant that is a big blow though, already down kearney.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2426330 said:
Yep, laugh at me all you want, that seattle game is going to be a dogfight.

If they are without trufant that is a big blow though, already down kearney.

man seattle sucks. They've been bad the hole season. They need to rebuild. We win by 30 and they don't score more than 3 points.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2426335 said:
man seattle sucks. They've been bad the hole season. They need to rebuild. We win by 30 and they don't score more than 3 points.

I will take that bet.

jrumann59

Reaction score
FCBarca;2425941 said:
In fairness to Madden, deafness had nothing to do with the penalty Flo got with the hands to the face...That was just your typical dumbness on Flo's part.

I think penalty prone is not an unfair label for Flo, deaf or not

Dumbness, hardly bad technique maybe. If you have never played the line it is hard to understand that a hands to the face sometimes happen especially if you expect one thing and the guy does another. It also happens a lot when you have agressive linemen that use a hand punch to stop a guys forward momentum and get him off balance, it is quit effective on a bull rush but if the guy does a lateral move sometimes all you are trying to do is get a hand on him and move him to the side and I think that is what happened to Flo, he guessed bull and carter did a dip to evade. Big E was notorious for those penalties especially after his accident.

jrumann59

Reaction score
2much2soon;2426219 said:
If it was up to me, I'd do something totally off the wall at least once a game with Ware.
Like bringing Ellis, Spencer, and Ware over to the right side before the snap and bringing all of them when a sack is really needed.
It just seems like there are a lot of games that Stewart and Wade could play with these pass rushers to totally confuse offenses.

That is one thing I never did understand, under wade most of our rushing is done by the OLB from the outside, I mean they move around then the ball is snapped they rush from their customary spots. I do not see a lot of stunting or anything with them except the delayed rush and Ellis and Spencer are too slow for that.

30yrheel

Reaction score
Temo;2426034 said:
I think going for it on 4th down was definitely the right call. Lets assume the FG is a gimmie and doesn't get blocked or miss.

- if they fail on 4th down, then the Commanders have the ball on their own 17 yard line with 1:02 left and no timeouts, needing a touchdown.

- If they kick the FG, now you have to kick off with 1:02 left and, knowing your special teams sucks, have to squib it. Most Squibs still end up around the 40 yard line. Now the Commanders have maybe 55 seconds to score a TD with no timeoutes. I'd take the 7 seconds and push them back 23 yards and risk losing on a TD.

So ALREADY SAYING that the 4th down attempt is going to fail and that the field goal is a gimmie, do:

1. Put the ball on the 17 with 1:02 left up 4.

or

2. Put the ball on the 40 with 0:55 left up 7.

I'd go with 1.

you are exactly right, i was thinking the same thing during the game- don't risk kicking off!

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2425867 said:
My Meaningless Thoughts on the Game
by Yakuza Rich
http://yakuzarich.blogspot.com

- Why I think Ratliff is better than Ware? Because teams can't handle him one-on-one. Unfortunately, he plays the nose and doesn't get many one-on-ones.

YAKUZA
Great post! Except for the above. I agree with everyone you wrote except that Ratliff is not better than Ware. No sir, can't be convinced of that one.