Ya'll still miss Kellen Moore?

quickccc

Reaction score
Yep similar to how the Cowboys offense was really good BEFORE Moore, During Moore, and remains really good AFTER Moore. The common denominator being talent.. Or in the case of the Giants.. lack thereof. Moore was a good (but inexperienced) coordinator paired with great talent which made him look better than he was in Dallas. He lost me for good with the "Yards are Yards" proclamation. What good coordinator can't see the difference in the toll a 15 play 8 minute pound it out drive has on a defense vs a 5 play 3 minute quick strike drive. Both may indeed end with 7 points.. but one exacts a much high toll on the opponent.. while also saving your own defense out of harm's way. Yes scoring quickly is great in theory.. but given that more drives end in punts than in touchdowns in most games the thought of playing the long game, protecting your defense and all that MUST be considered. Moore never wanted to be bothered with that.. which IMHO was the downfall. He was out there trying to "light up the scoreboard" as McCarthy called it.

The best way to think of it is that if both teams score TDs on every drive but one team takes 8 minutes every time while the other team takes 3 minutes ever time which team's defense is going to be spent by the middle of the third quarter? And which team is going to fresher and have had far more time on the sidelines to make adjustments to be ready to smother the opposing offense in the 4th?
If the offense was really good before Kellen took over,.. we would Not have fired Lt. Scott Linehan, to even allow Kellen to take over ...

Why did Lt. Linehan get canned ? it was notoriously known that Linehan was so repetitiously predictable and bland that even his own players started griping and doubting him.

And once Dez began declining and losing separation skills, we did not have an OC that could scheme around their flaws and weaknesses. Some play callers can do that (scheme) to a certain extent, ... some cannot.
Teams could blanket coverage underneath vs Cole Beasley,.. and the most average of CBs could easily handle Dez/TW.

More irony ? Even with the trade arrival of Amari Cooper, there was still gripes/doubts about Linehan, and players
dare to aud' out and improvise on the move (ala Philly reg. season game)

- Plus other elements were happin' around the offense with Linehan - Dak was for whatever reason just holding the ball for unnecessary sacks , to where he was probably the most sacked QB in the NFL.
It was "rumored" that at tail's end of season in last 3 games and playoffs, Garrett placed offense
more into hands of Kellen and TE coach Doug Nussmeier.(who'd become QB coach) ....and less in Linehan's hand.
This prompt the firing of Linehan .. and emerged the full control arrival of new OC Kellen Moore.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If Garrett had not had 10 years of mediocre head coaching on his resume he would have gotten more looks after being canned too. He was a hot commodity when he was the Dallas OC. If I'm not mistaken he even turned down the Ravens job to remain in Dallas early on. By the way have you noticed how great the Giants' offense has been since they canned him? Yeah.. me neither..
He turned down the Ravens job because that would require results so he would have been fired after 2 or 3 years. Garrett knew he was an impostor, and he also knew Jerry was also an impostor. Perfect fit for job safety without requiring results.

btgboys41

Reaction score
I don't know what you are watching. In fact the offense that most closely matches what the Cowboys have been running post-bye is the 49ers. Inside zone runs, quick slants, outside tosses to the backs- when did Kellen Moore ever do that?

Moore's third down plan was to have the receivers run curls at the marker. Even I figured this out.
I see the difference. Took me a while. You were right. Dak’s confidence and the green light he has is in and of itself a difference. The play calls require more nuance for me but I don’t need it. I see the difference. Wanted to close the loop and acknowledge the insight you provided. Salud.