Ya'll still miss Kellen Moore?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Attacking it is the same thing as taking what it given. It's not a difference at all.
No taking what is given is throwing the 5 yard out that the defense is designed to give you on 3rd and 8 and punting. Attacking is looking at that 5 yard out but hanging onto the ball a tick longer so that the over route for 15 breaks open because the DB was so sure you were going to throw that 5 yard out.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
LOL at agenda. I’m not the one raggin’ on our former offensive coordinator as the problem who led the team to multiple top 5 offenses in the league “despite himself”.

But way to miss the overall point.

So was backup QB Cooper Rush winning despite Moore too?

Is Justin Herbert just not good enough to overcome what backup QB Cooper Rush was able to do?

“Try harder kid.”
I have always maintained that most of Moore's success was because he had a top 10 QB, a top 5 RB group, a top 5 o-line and a top 5 receiving corps. In most games they were simply too talented for the opponent. When Rush started, the offensive gameplan got pared down to allow that talent to overwhelm fools. In those games the Cowboys scored two touchdowns less per game than they do with Dak at the helm. Without Dak it was a bottom 5 offense. Rush didn't overcome Moore.. the defense and Zeke did..

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I've been hard on McCarthy until as of late when he's been calling a good game as OC and the play designs have been more creative using the Cowboys talent. And the Cowboys are getting off to faster starts (though this team still goes 3&out on the first drive too often :mad: ).

But even when the offense was struggling earlier in the season, and the Chargers seemingly had a "better" offense at the time, I still didn't long for Moore to return.

But many fans did lament his departure, as if Moore was going to give the Cowboys some decided edge this season.
:huh:

You see the Chargers struggling at 4-7 with him as the OC (though, yes, their HC isn't really good either so...)

And why is elite arm-talent, high-hope Herbert getting a pass every year? Yes, you can point at the HC, but Herbert's routinely coming up short in Big Moments, and the pundits don't give him a hard time.

I wonder if we go over to the Chargers forum, will we see a loss of hope in their QB, since the Chargers are taking another swan dive this season? But he's younger, so I guess age matters, a longer leash...for now.
Kellen is in a bad spot....Head coach has his crappy playbook.....and Kellen is being forced into using it...hell...Sunday night was the first time all season he's called plays. LAC are injury riddled....that's for sure.

kskboys

Reaction score
No taking what is given is throwing the 5 yard out that the defense is designed to give you on 3rd and 8 and punting. Attacking is looking at that 5 yard out but hanging onto the ball a tick longer so that the over route for 15 breaks open because the DB was so sure you were going to throw that 5 yard out.
Disagree, but "taking what is given" is a very subjective term. In a general sense, it means throwing to the open man/area. Maybe targeting the player who isn't as good at coverage, sending the RB out on a route when there's a LB trying to cover him, things like that.

On this site, "taking what is given" has been assigned a negative connotation, and it's not a negative term.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Jerry saw enough of Mikes busted offense.

We’ve played some really bad teams lately though.
More like the players finally got used to Mike's O and are now running it better and better as they've become acclimated.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have always maintained that most of Moore's success was because he had a top 10 QB, a top 5 RB group, a top 5 o-line and a top 5 receiving corps. In most games they were simply too talented for the opponent. When Rush started, the offensive gameplan got pared down to allow that talent to overwhelm fools. In those games the Cowboys scored two touchdowns less per game than they do with Dak at the helm. Without Dak it was a bottom 5 offense. Rush didn't overcome Moore.. the defense and Zeke did..
Well said.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
he came from Garrett school of thought. players win their individual battles and the play execution will work as a result. he didn't scheme open the WRs. he didn't attack the entire field, he didn't pressure the defense. I can't count how many times his route combinations ran the WRs into the same area, making it easier for defenses. currently, MM play calling is much better, he is attacking the entire field and pressuring the defense to make choices and they eventually breakdown and give up big plays. now, only if we can get the running game going, then we will see a whole new level of offense.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Disagree, but "taking what is given" is a very subjective term. In a general sense, it means throwing to the open man/area. Maybe targeting the player who isn't as good at coverage, sending the RB out on a route when there's a LB trying to cover him, things like that.

On this site, "taking what is given" has been assigned a negative connotation, and it's not a negative term.
As I said it's a subtle difference. When you take what is given the defense forces you to do what they want. When you attack you force the defense to allow you to get what you want. In the former a guy is open because the defense wanted you to go to him. In the latter a guy is open because you forced the defense to leave him open through scheme and execution. Typically what YOU want is better than what the defense wants to GIVE you.

btgboys41

Reaction score
I don't know what you are watching. In fact the offense that most closely matches what the Cowboys have been running post-bye is the 49ers. Inside zone runs, quick slants, outside tosses to the backs- when did Kellen Moore ever do that?

Moore's third down plan was to have the receivers run curls at the marker. Even I figured this out.
Your comment boiling down Moore’s 3rd down approach is lazy. Everyone grabbed hold of the curl thing and spits that out like it’s all they did. I am referring to results when I say he never left. Same prolific offense, this team is 8-3 and last years team started 10-3. Coach Mac vowed an emphasis on the run and I would guess they actually run less now. (I could be wrong but I’m not doing the research).

If Dak ran last year, they’d probably be even more prolific. Kellen Moores offense was every bit as successful as this current one. Only difference is the strength of opponents.

This will be a fun convo in another 3 weeks. If they continue the offensive success in the new few, then I would back anyone saying coach Mac’s is better. So far, it isn’t.

kskboys

Reaction score
As I said it's a subtle difference. When you take what is given the defense forces you to do what they want. When you attack you force the defense to allow you to get what you want. In the former a guy is open because the defense wanted you to go to him. In the latter a guy is open because you forced the defense to leave him open through scheme and execution. Typically what YOU want is better than what the defense wants to GIVE you.
Disagree again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No worries, just simple semantics. I still see the terms as the same, but it doesn't matter.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Disagree again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No worries, just simple semantics. I still see the terms as the same, but it doesn't matter.
LOL.. yeah the difference really is semantics. And mentality most of all. But can you honestly say any defense is designed to "give" you a 30 yard seam route to the tight end or a 40 yard post?

kskboys

Reaction score
LOL.. yeah the difference really is semantics. And mentality most of all. But can you honestly say any defense is designed to "give" you a 30 yard seam route to the tight end or a 40 yard post?
Not how it works. If they have a LB on the receiver on that seam route, then yes, that means they have concentrated coverage elsewhere and they are "giving" you that seam route. It's up to the QB/OC to figure that out and "take what they are giving".

Taking what they are giving is not a negative term at all, it means playing smart football and taking advantage of the weaknesses. If you aren't "taking what they are giving", that means you are forcing passes into triple coverage. Instead of hitting the TE for a 12 yard gain.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
For a guy most of you all claim to not miss, you sure talk about him a lot. This is like the 10th thread I've seen about Kellen Moore this season. lol

It's like a guy telling his boys he doesn't miss his ex-girlfriend, but he still has a picture of her in his wallet. :laugh:

kskboys

Reaction score
For a guy most of you all claim to not miss, you sure talk about him a lot. This is like the 10th thread I've seen about Kellen Moore this season. lol

It's like a guy telling his boys he doesn't miss his ex-girlfriend, but he still has a picture of her in his wallet. :laugh:
Absolutely. We talk about all past guys associated w/ the Cowboys, be it good or bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!