Ya'll still miss Kellen Moore?

Momanpr100

Reaction score
I just read someone
They were dependent on the home run with Moore. There was no rhyme or reason to the playcalling. Mike seems to put a lot more thought into down and distance and developing a game plan. KM could be a quality OC, I just don’t get why these young guys are fast tracked without legitimate experience and a quality resume. Working with Jerry Jones and then Staley isn’t the best career path. His tree is pretty weak at the moment, that’s why working your way up the ladder is so important.
Kellen Moore is his own Defensive Coordinator worst nightmare. So yea, him and Staley don't mix. He didn't learn anything from his time as a Cowboy, you can't continue to leave your defense out to dry.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
For a guy most of you all claim to not miss, you sure talk about him a lot. This is like the 10th thread I've seen about Kellen Moore this season. lol

It's like a guy telling his boys he doesn't miss his ex-girlfriend, but he still has a picture of her in his wallet. :laugh:
Well cause we was told countless times in the offseason that Kellen finally has a real top notch QB to work with and he was gonna take the league by storm.

quickccc

Reaction score
1. The offense is almost completely different than when Moore was here. The pass patterns are usually layered to attack one side as opposed to a bunch of patterns equally spaced out. You can tell that the timing throws are gone too. That was the stuff that lead to the INT's. The patterns are noticeably faster and the ball comes out quicker. A lot of the complaints about the O line last year should have been about slow developing plays.

2. Last year, the Chargers coach and virtually the same players had a 0.588 win percentage. This year its 0.364. The same type of issues are being seen in LA than here. High scoring output without ball control and head scratching playcalls late. Struggle against good defenses.

3. It may or may not have been a lot of people but they sure were vocal about how Moore wasn't the problem and that we would miss him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moore ends up being unemployed again this offseason.

Frankly at the start of season - and almost half way into season, this new Tex Coast McCarthy offense was
pretty much conservative Dink n Dunk.

Frankly it was a sour pus looking fraidy cat approach that had it's own players frustrated and disappointed
- ala CeeDee Lamb and Cook, it was a major step down from what the Kellen O' was in getting
ball to the big playmakers on the outside playmakers ..and getting/pushing the ball downfield.

And it seemed the more gripes and complaints McCarthy got about:
- being afraid of his own QB in making INT mistakes.
- being afraid to throw it in the deem seam middle...
- being dink n dunk conservative, ..
- not involving his speedy Cooks who we traded to upgrade the speed element in WRs.

- But it seems like Big Mac was not only very sensitive to heavy criticism but he also was man and coach
enuff to make the necessary adjustments, .. " Fantasy Football " comments aside, he made the adjustments to finally involve one of the NFL's top speed WRs .. the commitment to scheme and target our best WR Lamb, the TE seam in middle,.. the missing bunch formation and rub routes .. the improvement in the red zone.

- We're getting not just one.. but several WRs (including Gallup, Tolbert and now Brooks) and TE targets
(see Fergy and Schoon)

quickccc

Reaction score
I just read someone

Kellen Moore is his own Defensive Coordinator worst nightmare. So yea, him and Staley don't mix. He didn't learn anything from his time as a Cowboy, you can't continue to leave your defense out to dry.

The Chargers staff will get terminated but some NFL team will still pick up Kellen per OC or QB coach.
He still has credentials around the NFL - even far more than Jason Garrett as a play caller. .

i know RB Eckler has been dinged this year, but Kellen is poor at RB utilization - last year Eckler was tearing up the league, this year he's been basically a non-factor - in both run - and typically Kellen zero in pass game.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Kellen looking like a QB Killer to me. Dak goes from outstanding rookie season to Playoff Choker. Herbert goes from outstanding rookie to Regular Season Choker.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The Chargers staff will get terminated but some NFL team will still pick up Kellen per OC or QB coach.
He still has credentials around the NFL - even far more than Jason Garrett as a play caller. .

i know RB Eckler has been dinged this year, but Kellen is poor at RB utilization - last year Eckler was tearing up the league, this year he's been basically a non-factor - in both run - and typically Kellen zero in pass game.
If Garrett had not had 10 years of mediocre head coaching on his resume he would have gotten more looks after being canned too. He was a hot commodity when he was the Dallas OC. If I'm not mistaken he even turned down the Ravens job to remain in Dallas early on. By the way have you noticed how great the Giants' offense has been since they canned him? Yeah.. me neither..

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I have always maintained that most of Moore's success was because he had a top 10 QB, a top 5 RB group, a top 5 o-line and a top 5 receiving corps. In most games they were simply too talented for the opponent. When Rush started, the offensive gameplan got pared down to allow that talent to overwhelm fools. In those games the Cowboys scored two touchdowns less per game than they do with Dak at the helm. Without Dak it was a bottom 5 offense. Rush didn't overcome Moore.. the defense and Zeke did..
That’s precisely my point. There are many variables as to why a team wins or loses. One of those is that an offensive coordinator can only do so much with the talent at hand. To say the team wins despite Moore is not an impartial look at things. At what point do you say Moore called good games that allowed the team to be 5-1 despite being hamstrung by QB talent? Does he have to turn a backup QB into a starter too? The fact of the matter is, the team had a top 5 offense while he was here for several years. Even Rush had a 300+ yard game during that streak. He should get credit for that. And it’s not like the current team he is coordinating is stinking it up on offense every game. The Chargers offense has scored 24+ points a game several times, despite limitations on the offensive line as well as having a bad defense which can affect the offense too.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Moore is worse than I thought. Yeah they lost Mike Williams but just like when Moore was in Dallas thier offense is so predictable.

quickccc

Reaction score
If Garrett had not had 10 years of mediocre head coaching on his resume he would have gotten more looks after being canned too. He was a hot commodity when he was the Dallas OC. If I'm not mistaken he even turned down the Ravens job to remain in Dallas early on. By the way have you noticed how great the Giants' offense has been since they canned him? Yeah.. me neither..
I remember how mediocre the Giants offense were before Garrett was hired on ... during the time Garrett was
still OC with NYG ... and after Garrett departed.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well cause we was told countless times in the offseason that Kellen finally has a real top notch QB to work with and he was gonna take the league by storm.
There weren't many saying it. Most were done w/ Mo.

GINeric

Reaction score
LOL at agenda. I’m not the one raggin’ on our former offensive coordinator as the problem who led the team to multiple top 5 offenses in the league “despite himself”.

But way to miss the overall point.

So was backup QB Cooper Rush winning despite Moore too?

Is Justin Herbert just not good enough to overcome what backup QB Cooper Rush was able to do?

“Try harder kid.”

LOL at agenda. I’m not the one raggin’ on our former offensive coordinator as the problem who led the team to multiple top 5 offenses in the league “despite himself”.

But way to miss the overall point.

So was backup QB Cooper Rush winning despite Moore too?

Is Justin Herbert just not good enough to overcome what backup QB Cooper Rush was able to do?

“Try harder kid.”

Moore is trash and so is your weak *** attempt to defend him. Keep it movin lil guy, go play or something.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
I've been hard on McCarthy until as of late when he's been calling a good game as OC and the play designs have been more creative using the Cowboys talent. And the Cowboys are getting off to faster starts (though this team still goes 3&out on the first drive too often :mad: ).

But even when the offense was struggling earlier in the season, and the Chargers seemingly had a "better" offense at the time, I still didn't long for Moore to return.

But many fans did lament his departure, as if Moore was going to give the Cowboys some decided edge this season.
:huh:

You see the Chargers struggling at 4-7 with him as the OC (though, yes, their HC isn't really good either so...)

And why is elite arm-talent, high-hope Herbert getting a pass every year? Yes, you can point at the HC, but Herbert's routinely coming up short in Big Moments, and the pundits don't give him a hard time.

I wonder if we go over to the Chargers forum, will we see a loss of hope in their QB, since the Chargers are taking another swan dive this season? But he's younger, so I guess age matters, a longer leash...for now.
Moore is/was a nerd that never impressed me.
The Chargers snapped him up quickly, but after this season, he will be just as quickly out of a job, along with the rest of the Chargers coaches.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I remember how mediocre the Giants offense were before Garrett was hired on ... during the time Garrett was
still OC with NYG ... and after Garrett departed.
Yep similar to how the Cowboys offense was really good BEFORE Moore, During Moore, and remains really good AFTER Moore. The common denominator being talent.. Or in the case of the Giants.. lack thereof. Moore was a good (but inexperienced) coordinator paired with great talent which made him look better than he was in Dallas. He lost me for good with the "Yards are Yards" proclamation. What good coordinator can't see the difference in the toll a 15 play 8 minute pound it out drive has on a defense vs a 5 play 3 minute quick strike drive. Both may indeed end with 7 points.. but one exacts a much high toll on the opponent.. while also saving your own defense out of harm's way. Yes scoring quickly is great in theory.. but given that more drives end in punts than in touchdowns in most games the thought of playing the long game, protecting your defense and all that MUST be considered. Moore never wanted to be bothered with that.. which IMHO was the downfall. He was out there trying to "light up the scoreboard" as McCarthy called it.

The best way to think of it is that if both teams score TDs on every drive but one team takes 8 minutes every time while the other team takes 3 minutes ever time which team's defense is going to be spent by the middle of the third quarter? And which team is going to fresher and have had far more time on the sidelines to make adjustments to be ready to smother the opposing offense in the 4th?

Scotman

Reaction score
I missed what I hoped KM would be, not who he ended up being. I wanted him to be a genius so bad that I bought into the pre play-calling hype.

But, once the X's & O's hit the field, he reminded me of the genius he replaced more than he did an actual offensive guru.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't remember history being that way. At all.
giphy.gif

All two of his fans.