Yankees preparing ma$$ive offer for Cliff Lee

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
BlueBandit;3669305 said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/ya...lee?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

He is 33 , so anything more than 5 years is out of the question. I really don't see any club competing with the NYY for Lee. If Lee wants Texas or whoever else, it's going to have to be at a discount.
5 years 110M?

Uhhh, aren;t you the same Yankmees fan who was trying to argue that you team doesn't go out and buy every top free agent around??

Now, here you are, woofing about how they're gonna throw another crapload of money at yet another marquee free agent...

Exactly as I said they would... the Noo Yawk Yankmees are the best team money can buy, year in and year out...

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Obviously, no team is gonna be able to match the Yankees offer in terms of $$$. The selling point for Texas is that it's in the south, the culture he's grown up with, and it's the closest team to his home in Arkansas.

BlueBandit

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;3669418 said:
Uhhh, aren;t you the same Yankmees fan who was trying to argue that you team doesn't go out and buy every top free agent around??

Now, here you are, woofing about how they're gonna throw another crapload of money at yet another marquee free agent...

Exactly as I said they would... the Noo Yawk Yankmees are the best team money can buy, year in and year out...

I posted a link dude, chill out . I didn't say a thing, the guy in the video did. Anyway the Yanks have some money coming off the books , so they will "try" and fit this guy in.
There is no guarantee however, because Jeter, Mariano must get paid first.

BlueBandit

Benched
Reaction score
TheCoolFan;3669437 said:
Obviously, no team is gonna be able to match the Yankees offer in terms of $$$. The selling point for Texas is that it's in the south, the culture he's grown up with, and it's the closest team to his home in Arkansas.
Yeah dude that's nice and all but CC wanted Cali , he is building a mansion there ; a compound like Jeter has in Tampa and he came to NYY for 7 years.
$ talks, everything else walks.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Yankee fans might say they don't go and "buy" every free agent and have homegrown most of their talent, but they wouldn't be ANYWHERE without CC, Tex, & Arod.

Their main core of their team is comprised of high priced FA that they paid big $ for.

Yankees suck.

MC KAos

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;3669437 said:

not to mention the HUGE difference in cost of living and no state income tax, they wouldnt have to match it, per say

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Lee said after the WS he wants to play in Texas. Of course, that doesn't settle it. If the Yankees offer is so great that Texas can't compete, then he will probably go to NY. Otherwise, he will remain a Ranger.

btw, to come to NY, I'm thinking he wants at least the $23M / year that CC is getting. So you had better make that 5 years $115M

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He'll stay in Texas unless they offer a crap load more.

He said he is going to take his family's opinion into account too and being 4 hours from home is just too good for him.

He'll get 110 mill from the Rangers and set up his family for generations.

BlueBandit

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3669671 said:
He'll stay in Texas unless they offer a crap load more.

He said he is going to take his family's opinion into account too and being 4 hours from home is just too good for him.

He'll get 110 mill from the Rangers and set up his family for generations.

Texas doesn't have that money, unless they have MLB bailout money leftover

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BlueBandit;3669735 said:
Texas doesn't have that money, unless they have MLB bailout money leftover

What an angry person you are. Face it, the Yankees ARE nothing unless they over pay to be.

The Yankees have basically one core player that they raised from the minors leagues on their team. The rest are over the hill has-beens or are not core players.

All their core players with the exception of Cano are bought and paid for.

Jeter, Jorge, Pettitte, and Rivera are the closest thing that could be considered core that were raised by the Yankees, but all of them are over-the-hill making them no longer core players. (ie, can't build your team around them)

A-Roid, Teixeira, CC, Granderson, Swisher, Wood, and Burnett were all bought and paid for.

I will say Phil Hughes is making a push to be a core player, but he hasn't yet proved that is he worthy to build a team around.

Now the buyers want to buy another pitcher because they can't raise any good ones anymore.

The Yankees are NOTHING without OPP. (Other Peoples Players)

Rogah

Reaction score
And this is why regular season NFL games outdraw World Series games on TV. In the NFL, fans of all 32 teams know they have a chance to win a Super Bowl. It isn't easy; it takes smart management, good coaching and yes even a bit of luck. But the folks in Kansas City or Wisconsin aren't going to be outspent by a factor of 10.

Stautner

Reaction score
ajk23az;3669501 said:
Yankee fans might say they don't go and "buy" every free agent and have homegrown most of their talent, but they wouldn't be ANYWHERE without CC, Tex, & Arod.

Their main core of their team is comprised of high priced FA that they paid big $ for.

Yankees suck.

I'm no fan of the Yankess or their tendency to throw a ton of money at people. It screws up baseball to have constant bidding wars and a loss in fan loyalty when teams can't afford to keep their home grown players. However, in fairness, it could be argued that Jeter, Cano, Posada, Rivera and Pettit are as much or more the "main core of their team" as CC, Tex and A-Rod.

BlueBandit

Benched
Reaction score
lAVvegpk7pJvcNG.jpg

Welcome to the Big Leagues Cliffy ;)

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
BlueBandit;3669451 said:
$ talks, everything else walks.

And the Yankmees have more money than anybody else, so they can buy more and better players than anybody else...

Which I said all along, and you tried to argue that was not the case... now, you're gleefully admitting that it's true...

You have a hard time keeping your arguments straight, don't you?? :D

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Shocker. Yanks throwing the most money around.

$300 million payroll next season?

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
If Cliff goes to NYY he'd be looking at paying both state and city income tax (totaling 8.97% on top of his 35% federal income tax). So if Texas were to offer him a $20 million/year contract, NY would have to give him a contract of around $21.9 million to equal/offset the state tax difference.

BlueBandit

Benched
Reaction score
Quite honestly, Cliff Lee might be the girl who got away ; the NYY have wanted him for years, however I'm not sure it's feasible.

A-Rod aging, still a threat but needs to bounce back and get healthy, signed another 5 years .

Jeter wants money and years, his career is in question.

CC signed 7 years 161M

Posada is done, AJ Burnett still 3 years left on an 80M deal.

To add a 33 year old guy with a history of back issues is too much a gamble IMO. Not to mention he's coming off 2 choke jobs in the big show. I'm not giving him 7 years, no way. If he REALLY wants to wear Pinstripes , then I offer him 4 years 90M.