Yankees

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WP, I get that you have had a lot of flake from posters on the Orioles this year but truth be said, you talked a lot before the season started. I have not told you one thing about the Orioles season this year.

I think anybody who watched the Yankees this year knew that this was not their year. They made the wildcard and that was good but they had a terrible last month of the season. Having said this, they still got to the wildcard. That's better then 20 other teams.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If it was correct money would always win out yet Marlins have won a WS with a low pay roll as have some others. They can't stay on top because once these player are FA some of these teams just can't pay out the cash that others can

You don't know that money won't win it this year. Dodgers are the highest paid team in MLB and they are in the playoffs. Having said this, your statement is not true. If you would have said that Money doesn't always win the Championship, then that would have been accurate. To say it doesn't is clearly wrong. Obviously it does.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You don't know that money won't win it this year. Dodgers are the highest paid team in MLB and they are in the playoffs. Having said this, your statement is not true. If you would have said that Money doesn't always win the Championship, then that would have been accurate. To say it doesn't is clearly wrong. Obviously it does.

Fine Money does not guarantee you a world championship. I love it seeing high priced teams lose spending over 200 mill and losing to a team with one of the lowest payrolls makes my day.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Fine Money does not guarantee you a world championship. I love it seeing high priced teams lose spending over 200 mill and losing to a team with one of the lowest payrolls makes my day.

I get that. I don't agree but if that's your opinion, that's fine.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I just don't care for MLB setup in terms of no cap limit on teams.

There is a cap limit. It's a soft cap but there is a limit. That's why you didn't see the Yankees go out and sign help at the trade deadline.

To be honest, I don't really have an issue with it. If MLB would open their books then I could get behind this idea but they won't. You don't have any way of identifying how much MLB owners are making and spending on their teams. If all owners were committed to winning, then I would be on board with a hard cap. They aren't and what you get is a bunch of owners going along for the ride just to make money. I hate that way more then an owner who is committed to winning and is willing to spend whatever it takes to give yourself a chance to do that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is a cap limit. It's a soft cap but there is a limit. That's why you didn't see the Yankees go out and sign help at the trade deadline.

To be honest, I don't really have an issue with it. If MLB would open their books then I could get behind this idea but they won't. You don't have any way of identifying how much MLB owners are making and spending on their teams. If all owners were committed to winning, then I would be on board with a hard cap. They aren't and what you get is a bunch of owners going along for the ride just to make money. I hate that way more then an owner who is committed to winning and is willing to spend whatever it takes to give yourself a chance to do that.

It is a very soft cap when you see the difference between payrolls top to bottom. We just disagree.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Actually, it does Dooms. Yankees have 27 of them so while they didn't win this year, the idea that money doesn't buy championships is clearly incorrect.

Most of those Championships came when the league was smaller and there was a huge discrepancy in the balance of those teams. It was a highly unfair league back then. There is no way any team no matter how much they spent on players could accomplish what the Yankees did back then these days.

The Yankees got basically a free gift with all those championships. The league isn't like that anymore and so over is the Yankees monster championship runs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Most of those Championships came when the league was smaller and there was a huge discrepancy in the balance of those teams. It was a highly unfair league back then. There is no way any team no matter how much they spent on players could accomplish what the Yankees did back then these days.

The Yankees got basically a free gift with all those championships. The league isn't like that anymore and so over is the Yankees monster championship runs.

The Yankees bought Babe Ruth for the Sox. I think you are 100% wrong Sam. But lets say you are right. Lets say in the last 25 years, the Yankees have won 6 WS. That's more then any other team and that is definitely in the cap era and that's just the Yankees. It doesn't even take into consideration other teams who have spent big money like the Red Sox etc. The idea that money doesn't buy championships in MLB is completely wrong.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You removed Yosemite Sam as your Avi. I think we both know that your last statement is just a facade, to make you feel better.

;-)

I'm definitely feeling good about myself.

Hey all, drinks on me!

jrumann59

Reaction score
Who needs a farm system when small market teams can't retain their young stars. I am a Cards Fan, hated seeing the Astros going to the AL. but the truth of the matter is those small market teams have great farm system for a reason, a lot of high draft choices. And just when that player starts coming into their own and are no longer arbitration eligible off to LA/CHI/NY for that big pay day.

Rogah

Reaction score
WP, I get that you have had a lot of flake from posters on the Orioles this year but truth be said, you talked a lot before the season started. I have not told you one thing about the Orioles season this year.

I think anybody who watched the Yankees this year knew that this was not their year. They made the wildcard and that was good but they had a terrible last month of the season. Having said this, they still got to the wildcard. That's better then 20 other teams.
I watched the Yankees this year and I saw a lot of wise decisions that we haven't always seen in the past. They didn't mortgage their future this year at the trade deadline. There was really nothing they could have done to change their fate this year, so I think what they did was very smart long-term thinking.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I watched the Yankees this year and I saw a lot of wise decisions that we haven't always seen in the past. They didn't mortgage their future this year at the trade deadline. There was really nothing they could have done to change their fate this year, so I think what they did was very smart long-term thinking.

For the most part, I agree. I think they could have looked at some of the pitching available at the trade deadline but I don't know for sure. There were some decent arms that were available with some tread but again, without knowing what they have in the system, it's hard to know what the thinking was.

On the whole, I agree. I am happy they didn't trade away young talent in an attempt to get a bat or pitching. I think as long as they continue with this (hopefully they will), they have a chance to develop young talent and be good in the next few years. JMO

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
For the most part, I agree. I think they could have looked at some of the pitching available at the trade deadline but I don't know for sure. There were some decent arms that were available with some tread but again, without knowing what they have in the system, it's hard to know what the thinking was.

On the whole, I agree. I am happy they didn't trade away young talent in an attempt to get a bat or pitching. I think as long as they continue with this (hopefully they will), they have a chance to develop young talent and be good in the next few years. JMO

They could have went after Cole Hamels which would have given them an ace for this year, plus 2 more. I think the problem is that the Yankees, kept doing trades like that that they've looted their farm system to the point that they don't have much tradable or too much to raise to the major league level.

IMO, the Yankees actually started tapping the breaks a few years ago because they saw they were mortgaging their future.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The Yankees bought Babe Ruth for the Sox. I think you are 100% wrong Sam. But lets say you are right. Lets say in the last 25 years, the Yankees have won 6 WS. That's more then any other team and that is definitely in the cap era and that's just the Yankees. It doesn't even take into consideration other teams who have spent big money like the Red Sox etc. The idea that money doesn't buy championships in MLB is completely wrong.

It's just cool to say the Yankees buy championships.

If you look at the numbers. That's not the case.

There are more years of high payroll that win nothing. No one complains about that. Lol

Anti Yankees - all they got is Yankees buy championships.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's just cool to say the Yankees buy championships.

If you look at the numbers. That's not the case.

There are more years of high payroll that win nothing. No one complains about that. Lol

Anti Yankees - all they got is Yankees buy championships.

I've never given a toss about the statement "The Yankees have bought their championships" (or something to that affect).

The guidelines are the guidelines... the rules are the rules.

And as long as a team stays within the boundaries...

Well hard cheese.

I mean the Steinbrenner's weren't the richest owners out there. Some of these guys with deeper pockets could have ponied up and didn't.

And as long as the Yankees didn't break rules...

Well again I say hard cheese.

Rogah

Reaction score
They could have went after Cole Hamels which would have given them an ace for this year, plus 2 more. I think the problem is that the Yankees, kept doing trades like that that they've looted their farm system to the point that they don't have much tradable or too much to raise to the major league level.
I was thinking the same thing, but about about Cueto instead of Hamels.

Unfortunately, I have to confess I am underwhelmed by Cueto's performance in KC. I saw him as a major coup and instead he has been very disappointing. Hamels has been the guy I thought Cueto would be.