Yankees

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I've never given a toss about the statement "The Yankees have bought their championships" (or something to that affect).

The guidelines are the guidelines... the rules are the rules.

And as long as a team stays within the boundaries...

Well hard cheese.

I mean the Steinbrenner's weren't the richest owners out there. Some of these guys with deeper pockets could have ponied up and didn't.

And as long as the Yankees didn't break rules...

Well again I say hard cheese.

Understood.

Still... The "bought" bs ain't real. Just a hater "go to" lol

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
That was a fun game to watch last night. Yankee's and their 219 mill dollar team vs the Astros 81 mill dollar team. Sorry NY but money does not buy championships. lol

What else are they supposed to do to compete? Houston has had the top pick in the amature draft for years.....and the picks are finally paying off. Same thing for KC. And people are shocked that these low budget teams are good. Go figure....I guess the Yanks just need to start mailing it in every year and sandbag like everyone else.....

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
WP, I get that you have had a lot of flake from posters on the Orioles this year but truth be said, you talked a lot before the season started. I have not told you one thing about the Orioles season this year.

I think anybody who watched the Yankees this year knew that this was not their year. They made the wildcard and that was good but they had a terrible last month of the season. Having said this, they still got to the wildcard. That's better then 20 other teams.

I didnt "talk a lot" but they came off of a 96 win season and had decent pitching, the best defense in MLB, and a good offense. Add to that getting back a healthy Machado, Davis, and Wieters and it wasnt unrealistic to see them repeating. What we ended up with was a healthy Machado and Davis having good years, a good bullpen, and some injuries and poor performance from a lot of guys. Mostly the starting pitching was bad all year. Not one starter had a good year.

So the Orioles under achieved and were fortunate to finish .500 as things worked out this year. The Yanks had pretty much everything go their way this year and over achieved and won 6 more games than the Orioles.

Should be an interesting off season.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
What else are they supposed to do to compete? Houston has had the top pick in the amature draft for years.....and the picks are finally paying off. Same thing for KC. And people are shocked that these low budget teams are good. Go figure....I guess the Yanks just need to start mailing it in every year and sandbag like everyone else.....

The Rangers didn't do that. They started stockpiling their picks and combined that with trading away players that didn't want to resign with the Rangers for huge talented prospects that have paid off huge for them. They used those two things to create one of the best minor league talent pools over the last 10 years. That's how the Rangers built their team up to where it has been since 2009. They had an awful last year, but they (like the Cowboys this year) were completely decimated by injuries. They are still missing Yu Darvish, Jurickson Profar, Nick Tepesch, and obviously, Adrian Beltre is now injured.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
As far as the Yankees buying championships, their failure rate is what I look at. Highest payroll every year makes them the favorites every year. Yet as favorites they fail quite a bit.

Nobody but Yankee fans are impressed with winning any championships with the highest payroll every year.

Whats impressive is when a team wins with less.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
The Rangers didn't do that. They started stockpiling their picks and combined that with trading away players that didn't want to resign with the Rangers for huge talented prospects that have paid off huge for them. They used those two things to create one of the best minor league talent pools over the last 10 years. That's how the Rangers built their team up to where it has been since 2009. They had an awful last year, but they (like the Cowboys this year) were completely decimated by injuries. They are still missing Yu Darvish, Jurickson Profar, Nick Tepesch, and obviously, Adrian Beltre is now injured.

This year they got Josh Hamilton back and suddenly their fortunes changed.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
This year they got Josh Hamilton back and suddenly their fortunes changed.

It had minimal to nothing to do with Josh Hamilton's return. It had so much more to do with Hamels, Diekman, Dyson, and the resurgence of Beltre, Choo, and Fielder. Those six players are who turned the Rangers around. Not Hamilton.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It had minimal to nothing to do with Josh Hamilton's return. It had so much more to do with Hamels, Diekman, Dyson, and the resurgence of Beltre, Choo, and Fielder. Those six players are who turned the Rangers around. Not Hamilton.

Yeah, Beltre is an interesting player. Outside of the teams and fans of those teams that had Beltre on their roster at some point, Beltre is unappreciated. In my view he's a borderline HOF, he's sort of the Craig Nettles/Darrell Evans of this generation. He's just a marvelous ballplayer who doesn't get the respect he deserves.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score

Its his mere presence

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yeah, Beltre is an interesting player. Outside of the teams and fans of those teams that had Beltre on their roster at some point, Beltre is unappreciated. In my view he's a borderline HOF, he's sort of the Craig Nettles/Darrell Evans of this generation. He's just a marvelous ballplayer who doesn't get the respect he deserves.

When Cal Jr made the comment during the playoff telecast about Beltre being better defensively than "Brooksie" he wadded up a bunch of old time Oriole fans panties. As popular as Cal was as an Oriole, nobody is above Brooks Robinson and to make that comment was blasphemous in the eyes of many. A comment for which he hasnt nor will he be forgiven by that group. Beltre is great with the glove tho.

Now if somebody compares Machado's defense to Brooks, thats allowed as a "he might be a guy that is as good as Brooks" potentially but he'll have to do it or years and years. 16 consecutive gold gloves is no small feat.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Cal Jr made the comment during the playoff telecast about Beltre being better defensively than "Brooksie" he wadded up a bunch of old time Oriole fans panties. As popular as Cal was as an Oriole, nobody is above Brooks Robinson and to make that comment was blasphemous in the eyes of many. A comment for which he hasnt nor will he be forgiven by that group. Beltre is great with the glove tho.

Now if somebody compares Machado's defense to Brooks, thats allowed as a "he might be a guy that is as good as Brooks" potentially but he'll have to do it or years and years. 16 consecutive gold gloves is no small feat.

I didn't catch that remark... Yeah I can understand the uproar it created!

Certainly Brooks was the best I've seen.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

As Winicki stated. Beltre is an extremely underrated player. You probably have very little knowledge of him and so many people are dominated by emotion. Its to be expected that people get pissed when you compare players to their idols.

In truth, Babe Ruth is considered the offensive god of baseball, but I promise you. He wouldn't be all that great if he played today. The level of competition and skill is far beyond anything he played against back then. The pitchers today make the ball hook so much harder than it did back then. Even compared to the 50s and 60s with Mantle and Joe DiMaggio. I'm sure they would still be good players today, but I don't think they would compare to say Barry Bonds. I hated that guy, but dear lord did he have an eye for the ball, and knack for putting it in play, and swing a bat like a sledgehammer.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
As Winicki stated. Beltre is an extremely underrated player. You probably have very little knowledge of him and so many people are dominated by emotion. Its to be expected that people get pissed when you compare players to their idols.

In truth, Babe Ruth is considered the offensive god of baseball, but I promise you. He wouldn't be all that great if he played today. The level of competition and skill is far beyond anything he played against back then. The pitchers today make the ball hook so much harder than it did back then. Even compared to the 50s and 60s with Mantle and Joe DiMaggio. I'm sure they would still be good players today, but I don't think they would compare to say Barry Bonds. I hated that guy, but dear lord did he have an eye for the ball, and knack for putting it in play, and swing a bat like a sledgehammer.

I like the Rangers and watched a lot of their games a few years ago. Actually watched most of the games in their WS seasons. I think Beltre is a stud, but hard to put him in the same class as Brooks Robinson for defense. And I dont think Brooks minded anybody touching his hair. :D

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just for fun I looked up the "Wins Above Replacement Value" for various 3rd baseman...

Beltre 83.8
Brooks 78.4
Nettles 68.0
Schmidt 106.5
Chipper 85.0
Wade Boggs 91.1

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No, you couldn't expect a 1930 Babe Ruth to dominate in 2015, IF he brought his 1930 training habits and mindset.

But there's no question that Ruth, and other high-performing players of (pick a time period) were gifted as compared to their peers.

However "reborn" Ruth in 1990 and give him the same training and practice opportunities given other players of this era and there's no doubt in my mind he would again be one of the top players of the game. No matter the era, you're always going to have those dozen or so players that seem to make it look easy.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
No, you couldn't expect a 1930 Babe Ruth to dominate in 2015, IF he brought his 1930 training habits and mindset.

But there's no question that Ruth, and other high-performing players of (pick a time period) were gifted as compared to their peers.

However "reborn" Ruth in 1990 and give him the same training and practice opportunities given other players of this era and there's no doubt in my mind he would again be one of the top players of the game. No matter the era, you're always going to have those dozen or so players that seem to make it look easy.

Babe Ruth? Oh I so disagree with that. Micky Mantle too. Just ask CC Sabathia. :laugh: