News: YB: Brent Musburger Not Impressed With Tony Romo As Broadcaster

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Romo has drawn rave reviews from many NFL fans during his first month calling NFL regular season games, but one legendary broadcaster has not been the slightest bit impressed with the former quarterback’s work.
Brent Musburger, who officially retired from calling games earlier this year to pursue a sports handicapping business, told the Vegas Stats & Information Network this week that he believes Romo is off to a terrible start.

“Tony, get off it,” Musburger said. “First of all, you’re intruding on your play-by-play man, Jim Nantz, whose just trying to give us the scene. We like to watch the game, OK? … The more years you spend away from the league, you’re gonna know less and less about the personnel that’s out on the field. So I’m blowing a ‘stop the hype’ right now.”

Read More Here

CCBoy

Reaction score
Tony Romo has drawn rave reviews from many NFL fans during his first month calling NFL regular season games, but one legendary broadcaster has not been the slightest bit impressed with the former quarterback’s work.
Brent Musburger, who officially retired from calling games earlier this year to pursue a sports handicapping business, told the Vegas Stats & Information Network this week that he believes Romo is off to a terrible start.

“Tony, get off it,” Musburger said. “First of all, you’re intruding on your play-by-play man, Jim Nantz, whose just trying to give us the scene. We like to watch the game, OK? … The more years you spend away from the league, you’re gonna know less and less about the personnel that’s out on the field. So I’m blowing a ‘stop the hype’ right now.”

Read More Here

Just tell Brent to stop falling in love every time that he walks in front of a mirror...fans like accurate color.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Romo's mom doesn't even defend him as aggressive as Romo groupies on this board. WOW.. people need to chill and accept that some people don't like or don't care about Romo and have different opinion.

Having said that. I heard Romo once and I thought he was very good. Musburger is looking it from the text book of game commentary, he is ignoring the element of having a celebrity/famous former player in the booth. It attracts people/fans and I think many (if not most) viewers pay more attention to what that player says than the main commentator. My only take is his voice .. not a commentary voice (Don't shoot me)

:cool:

vaturkey

Reaction score
This is the same fellow who talked about QB's and their hot girl friends in the stands and that's why guys always wanted to be the QB. Took a lot of heat for it. His star started to fade right then. PS. She is smoking hot BTW. :)

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Musburger is a wad. I never liked since the old days he used to call NBA games, he always ragged on the San Antonino Spurs. Spurs fans hated him right back and used to hold some pretty "colorful" signs about and behind him while he was on live TV. Those signs got pretty explicit. :eek: It got to the point he refused to do any more Spurs games. Brent can go lick a light socket for all I care about his opinion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That is his opinion, all I can say as a fan of the game that I have enjoyed the games I have seen that Romo has worked. I don't say that as a someone who was a fan of Romo while he played but how he gives good insight to what the teams are facing and what they will do to counter alignments they are seeing. I think we get a great perspective of what a QB is seeing and how he will try to attack it.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I guess he telling Romo to stop calling every play before it start as it can backfired on him. To be homest I don't want to hear an announcer call all the plays. If anything do what Madden was good for. Educate us on what's going on the field. At that point call a play or two as to what would be ideal in a situation.