News: YB: Brent Musburger Not Impressed With Tony Romo As Broadcaster

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I don't agree with Musberger but I have no problem with him giving his opinion, does not mean I have to agree with his opinion.

Agreed. It's nothing personal for me, either. Like yourself, I formulate my own opinions. I just think Musberger might do well to give Romo time to adjust to his new craft before being quite so critical. Of course, he's entitled to his opinion, just like everyone else. Still, it wouldn't hurt to give a rookie color commentator time to adjust to a relatively new environment. I'm betting Romo will work things out for himself and do just fine. His attention to detail has certainly won me over.

Last edited:

rdskn4eva

Reaction score
I couldn't stand Romo as a player...But as a color commentator, he's the best I've heard in a long time...It sounds natural to him.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Ok, I'm just gonna say it... that woman is gorgeous. Holy crap
Yeah...that may be true my brotha, but have you seen the full clip of Brent's on-air lechery??? This shorter version doesn't do it justice. It makes you throw up in your mouth a little bit!?!

On a related note, my first few years out of college I worked for ABC Sports in New York...one of my assignments was doing some assoc. production work for college football coverage, which fortunately had me on the west coast a lot for ABC's (then) Pac 10 games. The duo I interacted with the most? Yup - Brent and Coach Vermiel. Now Dick Vermiel couldn't have been a nicer guy...supportive, humble, emotionally intelligent, funny, etc. Brent on the other hand was a royal d*bag. Get this...if you needed to discuss something with him, you had to GO THROUGH his personal assistant!?! The assistant guy was some dweeby Brent wanna-be who basically, best I could tell, fetched his dry cleaning on the daily. Brent was DESPISED by the ENTIRE CREW and people talked mess about him ALL DAY. I mean he was the embodiment of the term a*hole. So to see him gettin' salty about a very likable character such as Tony is not shocking at all as Brent is the antithesis of that. And it's obvious based on the video that he has some pretty serious p* envy issues vis-a-vis quarterbacks (particularly AJ Mac...lol).

perrykemp

Reaction score
I have watched all three of the games Tony has done so far and I think he has been great.

The Packers-Bengals game this past week was probably the worst of the 3 for no other reason that he was completely unable to hide his admiration for Aaron Rodgers and it got to be a little much. Still, I thought he did great even in that game.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I have watched all three of the games Tony has done so far and I think he has been great.

The Packers-Bengals game this past week was probably the worst of the 3 for no other reason that he was completely unable to hide his admiration for Aaron Rodgers and it got to be a little much. Still, I thought he did great even in that game.

I agree on that part and that play action in OT showed his excitement. Romo does call the plays before it happens which it is good, because if he can call it, then maybe the vets on defense knows it is coming as well so I guess he displaying that there isn't much trickery on the field. However, based on what we know now, it would be great if he did go to FOX and work with Gus Johnson on College Football. No one will get bored.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
How come I can't put a face to his name? This guy must have been below mediocre, if I don't have mental ID of him.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Tony Romo has drawn rave reviews from many NFL fans during his first month calling NFL regular season games, but one legendary broadcaster has not been the slightest bit impressed with the former quarterback’s work.
Brent Musburger, who officially retired from calling games earlier this year to pursue a sports handicapping business, told the Vegas Stats & Information Network this week that he believes Romo is off to a terrible start.

“Tony, get off it,” Musburger said. “First of all, you’re intruding on your play-by-play man, Jim Nantz, whose just trying to give us the scene. We like to watch the game, OK? … The more years you spend away from the league, you’re gonna know less and less about the personnel that’s out on the field. So I’m blowing a ‘stop the hype’ right now.”

Read More Here

Tony and Nantz were golfing buddies before Romo got this gig. I trust they'll work out their production just fine without an old drunk's suggestions.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Musburger is just jelly because he doesn't know any of the technical aspects of the game.

Romo is the best broadcaster I've heard in years. He's great.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
That was the best NFL Sunday Morning Crew ever IMO.

For the record, and nobody is going to like this, Musberger might be on to something. I am not a Musberger fan but he's right about what he says about being away from the game. If Tony wants to be around for a long period of time, he has to expand on his game, so to speak. His knowledge of players will eventually diminish.
I see the point he is hoping to make, but I don't necessarily agree. If Tony preps the week before the game like he would as a player, he can continue to pick up consistencies and tells.

Most announcers are only there to keep a background noise bearable vs silence. If there is some value, Romo has hit something...much more than sending it down to the sideline reporter who relays the HC said "We need to play better and score more points"

erod

Reaction score
He's right. Tony needs to let it breath more. He will. Overall, he's been excellent for a new guy.

MagicMan

Reaction score

hahaha, yeah, but all analysts have their faves......I remember Madden had the hots for Bret Favre.....;)

reddyuta

Reaction score
Musberger is an angry old man like a few we have on this board,Romo is the best thing to happen to color commentary in any sport for a long while.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
He's right. Tony needs to let it breath more. He will. Overall, he's been excellent for a new guy.

Yeah, but everyone was saying how hard it was going to be and no way he should be on their lead team and he needed to learn the job, that it wasn't just get in there and talk football. Well, actually it really is just talking about football and while he has things to learn, the information he has brought to the table already has been unlike anything we have ever heard from analysts on a consistent basis. It is obvious he studies the game tape just as if he was going to play a game....he knows what the team's tendencies are knows the personnel.