News: YB: Brent Musburger Not Impressed With Tony Romo As Broadcaster

lkelly

Reaction score
Somewhere Jimmy the Greek is wetting himself in the grave over the fact that Brent is running a handicapping business. I heard Al Michaels is one of his regular customers.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Tony Romo has drawn rave reviews from many NFL fans during his first month calling NFL regular season games, but one legendary broadcaster has not been the slightest bit impressed with the former quarterback’s work.
Brent Musburger, who officially retired from calling games earlier this year to pursue a sports handicapping business, told the Vegas Stats & Information Network this week that he believes Romo is off to a terrible start.

“Tony, get off it,” Musburger said. “First of all, you’re intruding on your play-by-play man, Jim Nantz, whose just trying to give us the scene. We like to watch the game, OK? … The more years you spend away from the league, you’re gonna know less and less about the personnel that’s out on the field. So I’m blowing a ‘stop the hype’ right now.”

Read More Here

Nothing to see here. Just a washed up old fart mad his era is over and a youngster is taking a job he used to do

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
eb51981228c7b4344d3c017ed3d39f4d.jpg
the-osmonds-back-in-the-1970sjpg-d015c64dea60f9c1.jpg

How sad is it, that The Osmonds were cooler back in the 70s than this guy. See, they can't stop laughing themselves.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's doing it for attention. And apparently, it worked.
This.

The Nantz/Romo dynamic may or may not smooth out over time but only time will decide which outcome becomes true. Meanwhile, observers, including Musburger, should evaluate whether Romo is an asset to each game broadcast from the audience's perspective. After all, it is the audience that benefits (or should benefit) from material game commentators provide.

Musburger is entitled to his opinion but his opinion is prematurely provided (understatement). So, the question left is what prompted him to state his opinion? Self-publicity is the most likely conclusion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This.

The Nantz/Romo dynamic may or may not smooth out over time but only time will decide which outcome becomes true. Meanwhile, observers, including Musburger, should evaluate whether Romo is an asset to each game broadcast from the audience's perspective. After all, it is the audience that benefits (or should benefit) from material game commentators provide.

Musburger is entitled to his opinion but his opinion is prematurely provided (understatement). So, the question left is what prompted him to state his opinion? Self-publicity is the likely conclusion.

The results speak for themselves in my opinion.

Who was talking about Brent Musburger yesterday?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I guess he telling Romo to stop calling every play before it start as it can backfired on him. To be homest I don't want to hear an announcer call all the plays. If anything do what Madden was good for. Educate us on what's going on the field. At that point call a play or two as to what would be ideal in a situation.

I agree that what Romo is doing is not going to be for everyone. But it seems that you're in the minority right now on him calling out what he's seeing and the plays that are coming. Eventually, I think his commentary will morph, but I think his knowledge of the game is really being enjoyed overall right now.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Maybe he'd like Romo more if he started mentioning the point spread during games like Musberger would always do :eek:

dfense

Reaction score
Tony Romo has drawn rave reviews from many NFL fans during his first month calling NFL regular season games, but one legendary broadcaster has not been the slightest bit impressed with the former quarterback’s work.
Brent Musburger, who officially retired from calling games earlier this year to pursue a sports handicapping business, told the Vegas Stats & Information Network this week that he believes Romo is off to a terrible start.

“Tony, get off it,” Musburger said. “First of all, you’re intruding on your play-by-play man, Jim Nantz, whose just trying to give us the scene. We like to watch the game, OK? … The more years you spend away from the league, you’re gonna know less and less about the personnel that’s out on the field. So I’m blowing a ‘stop the hype’ right now.”

Read More Here
Maybe Tony should ogle the players wives in the stands more Brent, eh?

I do think Tony talks a little too much at times. But he's learning on the job and so far is pretty good.

conner01

Reaction score
That is his opinion, all I can say as a fan of the game that I have enjoyed the games I have seen that Romo has worked. I don't say that as a someone who was a fan of Romo while he played but how he gives good insight to what the teams are facing and what they will do to counter alignments they are seeing. I think we get a great perspective of what a QB is seeing and how he will try to attack it.
I've only watched one but thought he did well
Like any job he will get better over time and develope chemistry with Nantz
But for 3 weeks into something he's never done I thought he was good

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Just for starters, the public doesn't need Musberger to tell them what to like and what not to. If that's not enough, Romo and Nantz are good friends and have had plenty of time to work out their chemistry through lots of practice time off the air. I like what I've seen thus far of Romo's work in the booth. It's very early yet in his broadcasting career. If there's room for improvement, I'm sure Tony will do just that in due time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Just for starters, the public doesn't need Musberger to tell them what to like and what not to. If that's not enough, Romo and Nantz are good friends and have had plenty of time to work out their chemistry through lots of practice time off the air. I like what I've seen thus far of Romo's work in the booth. It's very early yet in his broadcasting career. If there's room for improvement, I suspect Tony will do just that in due time.

I don't agree with Musberger but I have no problem with him giving his opinion, does not mean I have to agree with his opinion.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Tony is perfect. I hope he doesn't change a thing.

Best CC after Troy and Collinsworth.

He'll be the best one day.

CBS execs are high-five'ing and slapping each other's arses on hiring Romo. Especially with all the nay-sayers before the season started (not here, but in the sports media).

I do miss Phil Simms' comic-relief in the booth. Dude should do an open mic at the Laugh Factory and just call games. Doofus. Poor little fella

drawandstrike

Reaction score
The brutal truth: most color commentators can't really discuss/predict plays on the field because they quit playing NFL ball over a decade ago. I'm pretty sure Tony is watching game film of the teams he's covering each week. I don't think any of these other guys watch film like they were going to play in the game.