You are on the Clock…

visionary

Reaction score
SDogo;4232631 said:
DeCastro all day every day and twice on Draft day.

The guy is everything you want in a interior offensive lineman. He picked Stanford because he wanted to be challenged academically, has a mean streak is undeniable, a weight room junkie, will wear out the film room and as high character as it gets.

On the field, he does everything you need.

IMO, one of the best none tackle offensive lineman to enter the draft only behind Pouncey V1.

SDogo, how do you compare him to Konz?

I would value a center more than OG if about even in ability, so my pick would have been Konz

Would be interested in your opinion

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
visionary;4233812 said:

I would value a center more than OG if about even in ability, so my pick would have been Konz

I have the same question.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;4235421 said:
Peter Konz. I think he is in the Nick Mangold anchor category.

Yup, I'm with you. Konz is #1 on my wishlist.

I'd gladly take DeCastro though.

I also think Vontaze Burfict will slip some and we may have a crack at him, but not sure we'll pull the trigger even though it would be nice to have that mean son of a gun on our team.

I'm probably alone on this one, but if there's a way to nab Robert Griffin III after addressing the line, I would take a long hard look.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
visionary;4233812 said:

First off let me say, I chose DeCastro in large part because its my belief we need two OG's. I dont see a Road Grader on this roster ready to contribute next season at OG. If we had at least 1 I would of probably leaned towards Konz, although only slightly.

DeCastro is more of a technician and is a better drive blocker. Konz get's by with finesse at the first level but is amazing at picking up targets at the 2nd level. Konz is more mobile then DeCastro yet he has struggled this year to his left. Mostly due in large part to what I believe is a recurring ankle injury that just has not had the proper time to heal. It's not something I think is long term.

I do believe although Konz has that lineman mentality and the mean streak needed that DeCastro's is unmatched in this draft.

I will admit David carries that Roberty Gallery fear factor to him that at times he can look and act the part but under perform.

Konz in the same aspect worries me that he will always be just a solid OC but will struggle with the bigger NT's he will see in the NFL. Not many people know this but one thing that also makes me nervous with Konz is that he has a condition that from time to time will cause Blood Clots to appear in his lungs. He has not missed anytime for it since 2009 but has received treatment for it as lately as this past September. It's just something to keep an eye on and I wont pretend to know ay medical information behind it.

All in all, I think they are both dire needs for Dallas and would not be opposed to either. I just like what I have seen out of DeCastro more to this point.

visionary

Reaction score
SDogo;4235606 said:
First off let me say, I chose DeCastro in large part because its my belief we need two OG's. I dont see a Road Grader on this roster ready to contribute next season at OG. If we had at least 1 I would of probably leaned towards Konz, although only slightly.

DeCastro is more of a technician and is a better drive blocker. Konz get's by with finesse at the first level but is amazing at picking up targets at the 2nd level. Konz is more mobile then DeCastro yet he has struggled this year to his left. Mostly due in large part to what I believe is a recurring ankle injury that just has not had the proper time to heal. It's not something I think is long term.

I do believe although Konz has that lineman mentality and the mean streak needed that DeCastro's is unmatched in this draft.

I will admit David carries that Roberty Gallery fear factor to him that at times he can look and act the part but under perform.

Konz in the same aspect worries me that he will always be just a solid OC but will struggle with the bigger NT's he will see in the NFL. Not many people know this but one thing that also makes me nervous with Konz is that he has a condition that from time to time will cause Blood Clots to appear in his lungs. He has not missed anytime for it since 2009 but has received treatment for it as lately as this past September. It's just something to keep an eye on and I wont pretend to know ay medical information behind it.

All in all, I think they are both dire needs for Dallas and would not be opposed to either. I just like what I have seen out of DeCastro more to this point.

thanx for your insight SDogo
these are certainly legitimate concerns, would brewster (OC< Ohio State) then be a better choice in view of Konz health concerns?

SDogo

Reaction score
visionary;4235805 said:
thanx for your insight SDogo
these are certainly legitimate concerns, would brewster (OC< Ohio State) then be a better choice in view of Konz health concerns?

Unpopular opinion on my behalf I'm sure but I see things in Brewster that makes me believe he will be a better pro then Konz. With that said, I tend to prefer Georgia Center Ben Jones over Brewster. Much better anchor and run blocker.

Brewster like Konz is more finesse although Brewster may be the best pass blocking OC of the bunch.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Impossible to answer without understanding who is on the Board. If their is a good quality NT, Strong Side OLB, CB or possibly a Safety, then I think you have to look at them. Good Guards and Centers, you can pick up in the 2nd and 3rd or even lower. I believe that we are developing our interior line now so I don't see it as the top priority, per say. If an excellent QB prospect were there, I might look at that as well.

visionary

Reaction score
SDogo;4235829 said:
Unpopular opinion on my behalf I'm sure but I see things in Brewster that makes me believe he will be a better pro then Konz. With that said, I tend to prefer Georgia Center Ben Jones over Brewster. Much better anchor and run blocker.

Brewster like Konz is more finesse although Brewster may be the best pass blocking OC of the bunch.

thanx
sounds like we could easily go decastro in 1 and ben jones in 2

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
why would you let Holland and Dockery go? I can see Dockery, well as of right now, since we have yet to actually see what he can give us, but Holland has shown value.

I want to definitely keep Holland. He is showing dedication to improve and to make a nice NFL career for himself. It seems his days of being a fat loafer are behind him.

With that being said......it would have to depend on who is on the board when we pick. The two guys I want most in the 1st round are CB Morris Claiborne - LSU and C Peter Konz - Wisconsin. Give me either of those two and I will be very happy.

drawnstripes

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;4235829 said:

no I right there with you Sdogo

on Brewster

Eskimo

Reaction score
SDogo;4235606 said:

? Factor V Leiden

? Anti-phospholipid anti-body sydnrome

If he has actually had blood clots and has a tendency towards them on a genetic basis I would take him off the draft board altogether. If he had to go on blood thinners he would lose a whole season.

If he has already had a blood clot once, the second appearance of a blood clot would necessitate lifelong anti-coagulation and end his career as a football player.

Unless I am misinterpreting what you are saying here I think he is too big of a medical risk to draft anywhere above the 5th round.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2013-Big-Board/Peter-Konz.html

The profiles don't seem too turned off by it , but it's interesting that they do note it.

Hopefully it gives him a reason to come out early and turns out he's fine

Eskimo;4238100 said:
? Factor V Leiden

If he has actually had blood clots and has a tendency towards them on a genetic basis I would take him off the draft board altogether. If he had to go on blood thinners he would lose a whole season.

If he has already had a blood clot once, the second appearance of a blood clot would necessitate lifelong anti-coagulation and end his career as a football player.

Unless I am misinterpreting what you are saying here I think he is too big of a medical risk to draft anywhere above the 5th round.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
UW center Konz recounts chest pains
By Jeff Potrykus of the Journal Sentinel
Dec. 15, 2009
Madison &#8212; As he sat in his hotel room in Hawaii and the discomfort in his chest worsened, Peter Konz knew something was amiss.

Yet having played football for years, Wisconsin's redshirt freshman center had been conditioned to ignore pain.

"I thought: 'I could play with this,'&#8194;" Konz said after watching practice Tuesday night.

As his breathing became more labored, Konz realized playing might not be an option. Konz contacted a member of UW's medical staff and was taken to a hospital. Doctors found two blood clots, one in each of Konz's lungs, and he was held out of UW's regular-season finale against Hawaii.

He is taking medication to thin his blood and is expected to be sidelined two to six months

"It sounds a lot worse than what it was," said Konz, who has an appointment with a hematologist Monday. "It can be dangerous, but what they told me is that they were very small.&#8194;.&#8194;.&#8194;.

"We caught it early enough and I'm feeling great."

Although Konz hasn't been cleared to lift weights, he is set to travel with the team to Orlando, Fla., for the Dec. 29 Champs Sports Bowl.

"I'll be on the sidelines," he said with a smile.

That should be notably more enjoyable than his trip to Hawaii, which ended with Konz watching his teammates on TV.

With Konz out, offensive line coach Bob Bostad moved left guard John Moffitt to center and inserted freshman Travis Frederick into Moffitt's spot at left guard.

With Konz watching from his hotel room, UW rushed 52 times for 301 yards en route to a 51-10 victory.

"It looked like so much fun," Konz said. "I just wanted to be a part of it because during the season you go through so much with these guys. That hurt."

Almost as much as being poked and prodded for about 5 ½ hours in the hospital - until 4:30 a.m. Saturday in Hawaii.

"Once my breathing returned to normal and it stopped hurting, I felt great," he said. "They kept doing all these tests, but it wasn't like I was dying. Not literally. Figuratively maybe."

Konz's teammates were understandably excited to see him after the game, particularly some of his fellow linemen.

Unaware of the seriousness of his condition the night before the game, they teased Konz mercilessly.

That group included Moffitt and sophomore right guard Kevin Zeitler.

"I was telling him: 'You better suck it up. I don't want to play center. Stop being a baby,'&#8194;" Moffitt said sheepishly Tuesday night. "Then we find out it was blood clots."

Zeitler added:

"The night before he was complaining that his side hurt. We were making fun of him. Then he went to the trainer and we were still making fun of him.

"Then he says he is going to the hospital and we're like, 'Oh no.'

"Then we were watching a movie and it's getting late and he's still not back."

Left tackle Gabe Carimi broke the news at 7 a.m. the day of the game.

"That was a hit in the stomach," Zeitler said.

Konz, a free-spirited personality who is always smiling and joking with teammates and reporters, corrected Zeitler.

It was a pain in the lungs.

----

Tough kid. Like him more. And it's funny reading this and realizing how many NFL linemen are/were on the badgers

Bigdog

Reaction score
I would take DeCastro in the 1st, Brewster in the 2nd (won't fall that far but I can only hope) and then Jenkins, N. Alabama CB(hope he falls due to character issues but again, he won't) If we get those three, I would be happy fan.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Just so you guys know, the condition that is being discussed here is a Pulmonary Embolism or PE for short.

The issue isn't that he had a PE. Most people get a near full recovery from these events. The issue also isn't so much that it is about to kill him or is likely to kill him. The condition is very treatable.

The issue is that he might have a tendency to developing blood clots. In general, most people who have two such blood clots are considered at high risk of developing them recurrently and are thus recommended to be on blood thinners such as Coumadin for the rest of your life.

Now for a football player this is a big deal because you will not be medically cleared to play football while on blood thinners. So basically he is one blood clot away from never being able to play football again.

For this reason, I would suggest we spend no higher than a 5th rounder on this kid if we are inclined to draft him. He is at high risk of being out of the game very early for medical reasons. There was a guy whose stock dropped after a very curable cancer. I consider Konz's condition to be worse from a future football playing perspective.

SDogo

Reaction score
Eskimo;4238100 said:
? Factor V Leiden

You went way above my head on the medical talk but you actually made sense of it all.

Thanks for the input!

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
SDogo;4235829 said:

I think he's my favorite too, and for that reason... of the top centers likely to be in this draft, he's the one I believe can fare best one on one against a big nose tackle... he's just a bull...