You are the Bears GM

Plankton

Reaction score
The Bears need to find a good offensive coordinator before they make any decision or commitment on a QB. Based off of what has been shown by Fields at this point, I wouldn't commit to him long term, but he has not been helped by the offensive coaching that he has received. Being that Matt Eberflus is likely in a make the playoffs or lose your job mode in 2024, I don't think he will want to restart the clock with a rookie QB. If it were me, I would research the hell out of the top four guys, and wait as long as possible to make a decision on Fields.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The Bears need to find a good offensive coordinator before they make any decision or commitment on a QB. Based off of what has been shown by Fields at this point, I wouldn't commit to him long term, but he has not been helped by the offensive coaching that he has received. Being that Matt Eberflus is likely in a make the playoffs or lose your job mode in 2024, I don't think he will want to restart the clock with a rookie QB. If it were me, I would research the hell out of the top four guys, and wait as long as possible to make a decision on Fields.
Their first move is to determine if they should pick up his 5th year option.

Plankton

Reaction score
Their first move is to determine if they should pick up his 5th year option.
That's a very easy decision - you pick it up. It would be cheaper than a one year franchise tag, and wouldn't be a deterrent in a trade.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That's a very easy decision - you pick it up. It would be cheaper than a one year franchise tag, and wouldn't be a deterrent in a trade.
Seems logical. It really depends if they plan on giving him a chance in 2024 to prove if he is the guy. If they do that and he performs well, they have him locked in for 2025. If he doesn't do well, they are stuck with that fully guaranteed $22-25 million in 2025. That amount will be a deterrent to teams wanting to trade for him, which wouldn't be many if he has a poor 2024 season. They have until May to reach a decision. I figure if they plan is to trade him, it will be around draft time and the new team can worry about the 5th year option.

DFWJC

Reaction score
They should draft Williams and Harrison. No need to be cute.
Unless you want to use next year's 1st to move from 9 to 3 or 4 , you can't get Harrison.

It can be done. The Texans did that this year so they could move up to get Anderson with the 3rd overall pick after they'd just nabbed Stroud.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm trading Fields. He looked better this year, but no better than say Kyler Murray or Daniel Jones at their best. Those guys' contracts have killed their teams, and by keeping Fields, you are essentially pledging him that kind of deal after next year.

Take Williams or Maye #1 overall. I haven't watched enough tape to decide who's better, but just casually watching CFB this season, I like both. Then spend #9 on an offensive toy for your new QB.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
With the first pick do you go ahead and use it, or do you trade down? I'm trading down, possibly twice. And I would consider trading down the 10th pick also.

They are the 3rd best team in the division and need multiple players. My goal would be to come away with at least 5-6 players in the first 3 rounds. Plus the first pick in the 4th round. If they play their cards right, they could have 7 of the top 97 picks.

I'd love for the Cowboys to come away with a haul like that. Can you imagine???
I would trade with NE to pick up a few picks get Harrison JR, let NE take Williams (he's the same as fields). then trade back from 10 to mid to late teens draft OL/DL with next few pics and a RB somewhere in there.

i think if eberfus does that he could build a good team. but it all really depends on the next OC for Bears more than anything.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I trade Fields
Use #1 for Williams
Use #9 for Odunze from Washington
Then draft trench heavy the rest of the way

John813

Reaction score
Draft Williams. Trade Fields.

Higher potential with Williams and 4 years of a rookie contract allowing you to add more vet talent around Williams.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With the first pick do you go ahead and use it, or do you trade down? I'm trading down, possibly twice. And I would consider trading down the 10th pick also.

They are the 3rd best team in the division and need multiple players. My goal would be to come away with at least 5-6 players in the first 3 rounds. Plus the first pick in the 4th round. If they play their cards right, they could have 7 of the top 97 picks.

Why would you pass on a Franchise QB when the QB you have maxes out as Tyrod Taylor?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Take Caleb Williams and don't look back

I like Fields and I really think his first two years in Chicago he had no real help

He got some this year, but also had a bad OC

But he's entering year 4, which means they'll need to commit long term to him soon and he just hasn't shown enough yet.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Take Caleb Williams and don't look back

I like Fields and I really think his first two years in Chicago he had no real help

He got some this year, but also had a bad OC

But he's entering year 4, which means they'll need to commit long term to him soon and he just hasn't shown enough yet.
Bingo. Do the reset and take Williams.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If I'm the Bears I'm playing all angles.

I want to see what teams are willing to give up for Fields and I want to see what teams are willing to give for #1.

If they make a ridiculous offer for #1 it makes the decision for you.

visionary

Reaction score

Take the best QB
Any sensible GM will do this

visionary

Reaction score
If I'm the Bears I'm playing all angles.

I want to see what teams are willing to give up for Fields and I want to see what teams are willing to give for #1.

If they make a ridiculous offer for #1 it makes the decision for you.
I dont think so
A great QB alters the trajectory of the franchise
Most analysts agree that there is at least 1 or 2 in this draft
Get a real coach and take your top QB
Trade Fields

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
There’s multiple scenarios in my mind but each one does NOT involve passing up a QB because of Fields.

I don’t know what the hype is with Fields but I don’t see a long term starting QB.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I dont think so
A great QB alters the trajectory of the franchise
Most analysts agree that there is at least 1 or 2 in this draft
Get a real coach and take your top QB
Trade Fields
New Head Coach and I agree with you.

They are keeping their HC.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Take a top QB, it isn’t often you get the #1 pick. It doesn’t matter if Chicago can stockpile extra picks because they still need a franchise QB. They can always trade Fields later and get a little something in return.