CFZ You are the GM. If you replace Dak next year, who is the improvement?

Kwyn

Reaction score
You start by drafting a QB with a premium pick, you know, like we did with Troy Aikman in 1989. If that QB doesn't show much by the time his rookie contract is up you draft his replacement. Rinse repeat until you hit the jackpot which should be once per decade on average.

That is at least a plan with a chance. Jonesin' hasn't been working.
Help me understand how we get the #1 overall pick in next years draft and I’ll play along with your “plan with a chance”.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
“Draft his replacement” and hope you hit again in the draft is just such a dumb answer. If you move on from dak you have to make sure you get someone better which is likely via trade and likely costs serious draft capital. If you move off of dak and go via the draft get ready to completely rebuild.

it won’t happen and probably shouldn’t. The problem with the fan base is that every quarterback is compared to roger and aikman. 2 absolute legends. This same fan base killed Romo for years and now I see daily “wish we had a qb even as good as Romo” or “daks no Romo”.

I would easily move on from dak if there was a definite upgrade. To go that route you’d have to completely tear down everything and run the risk of alienating players like parsons in the process

cnuball21

Reaction score
“Draft his replacement” and hope you hit again in the draft is just such a dumb answer. If you move on from dak you have to make sure you get someone better which is likely via trade and likely costs serious draft capital. If you move off of dak and go via the draft get ready to completely rebuild.

it won’t happen and probably shouldn’t. The problem with the fan base is that every quarterback is compared to roger and aikman. 2 absolute legends. This same fan base killed Romo for years and now I said daily “wish we had a qb even as good as Romo” or “daks no Romo”.

I would easily move on from dak if there was a definite upgrade. To go that route you’d have to completely tear down everything and run the risk of alienating players like parsons in the process

About how I feel…

LonnieElam

Reaction score
we are not going to find Dak’s replacement in the draft in later rounds and not drafting on early that would hurt his ego. i would try and talk mayfield in to coming here and being daks back up and when dak gets hurt he can take over. then draft someone to groom and after next year let dak go. give mayfield the reins and hopefully by 4th year we have groomed a franchise qb. if not it’s back to draft.
Who gives ** about Dak's ego? Dude has made over 100 million. I don't feel sorry for him at all.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Fields running ability > Dak ability to see the field. Dak has nothing else to offer...at least fields would make the offense more dynamic.

I wouldn't give up Parsons for Fields though so it's better it worked out this way draft a young kid to lead the other side of the team with Parsons and have people buy in again like 2016

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Reality is they are screwed with Daks contract so their best bet is to load up on defense and off line in the draft and hope they can build a team that can carry Dak. And I would also sign a legit backup QB who could push Dak and maybe even start for a stretch if Dak is not getting it done. I don't know what Foles or Flacco have left in the tank, but someone like that. And then the moment you can unload Dak you do it, and then draft a QB with a premium pick or do what the rams did and trade for one. No more late round QBs.

GMO415

Reaction score
We're 6-3 and halfway through the season and we're discussing the draft? What a joke.
giphy.gif

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So suppose for a second Big Mac went ‘LA Rams’ on Dak and shocked the world by trading his franchise QB because he knew the person he was getting was far better? And remember, the goal is next year to win it all.

Are there any Staffords left? Borderline elite QBs with cap friendly contracts? All quarterbacks signed after Dak are going to seriously hurt any team that trade them away no matter what we offered them. Teams don’t just give away franchise quarterbacks.

Biggest name free agent is probably Lamar Jackson? Would you give him the giant contract the Ravens won’t…. And can the team even afford it?

Cooper’s days are at an end if this is how our defense plays now. Frustrating that last year at the halfway point the NFL figured out our top 3 offense, this year it’s the top 3 defense.

You can spend a top draft pick but now you’re going to have to wait for development. Better make sure there is another solid running back too, because Zeke won’t be around with that salary.

And if you’re feeling like a gambler, are you going to see if you’re the next team to find a Geno Smith? Who is that next guy who rises from the bench into stardom?

Well, we just witnessed Tampa and LA win Super Bowls signing older veteran QBs. How about Aaron Rodgers? I bet GB would trade him for a few first round picks. Not only does that give us a better QB, it also takes him out of our way. You put Rodgers in this offense with this defense........ instant NFC favorites.

CowboyDAK

Reaction score
Get rid of him and sign Joe Flacco and draft a mobile qb.

If protected I’m betting Flacco could do what Dak does these days.!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Haven't studied all the QB's coming out yet, but many of those mentioned towards the top of the draft I don't like for the pros. Esp Bryce Young.

Definitely think we should draft one, just not sure who or where in the draft yet.
I will tell you this about 2023 draft, the RBs are really good, deep, and plentiful in this draft, but there is absolutely no doubt that we should use a decent draft pic on a young potential QB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So suppose for a second Big Mac went ‘LA Rams’ on Dak and shocked the world by trading his franchise QB because he knew the person he was getting was far better? And remember, the goal is next year to win it all.

Are there any Staffords left? Borderline elite QBs with cap friendly contracts? All quarterbacks signed after Dak are going to seriously hurt any team that trade them away no matter what we offered them. Teams don’t just give away franchise quarterbacks.

Biggest name free agent is probably Lamar Jackson? Would you give him the giant contract the Ravens won’t…. And can the team even afford it?

Cooper’s days are at an end if this is how our defense plays now. Frustrating that last year at the halfway point the NFL figured out our top 3 offense, this year it’s the top 3 defense.

You can spend a top draft pick but now you’re going to have to wait for development. Better make sure there is another solid running back too, because Zeke won’t be around with that salary.

And if you’re feeling like a gambler, are you going to see if you’re the next team to find a Geno Smith? Who is that next guy who rises from the bench into stardom?
there is no replacement. not on the roster. and not in FA. so you just go back to drawing board. trade your assets like CD, Parsons, diggs and wait and trade gallup the year after, cut everyone and go bear bones. hope for the team to suck enough to lose 17 games. or at least lose enought to go for the top 5 pick and cross your fingers its no Lawrence, Trubisky, Darnold, or Mayfield type player for you to waste another 7, 8 years of nothingness

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jimmy G would give us similar production and half the price.
what's the point? to make more money? or to win? and the one reason we are complaining is the production. so paying less and get the same results!!!! its about the results not results per dollar spent. that's not how you win a superbowl.

oh yeah, now its the customary we have more cap room and we can get more players. as if we have 20M on the cap this year and we have signed who exactly?

GINeric

Reaction score

Very interesting and well written topic. But if KM is still the offensive coordinator, it doesn't matter what quarterback we bring in....

Havic

Reaction score
what's the point? to make more money? or to win? and the one reason we are complaining is the production. so paying less and get the same results!!!! its about the results not results per dollar spent. that's not how you win a superbowl.

oh yeah, now its the customary we have more cap room and we can get more players. as if we have 20M on the cap this year and we have signed who exactly?

Any QB we draft will not be ready. Any FA QB available next year better than Jimmy G? The point would be with the extra cap we can fix some other positions with this team. Now whether the Jones do that is another question but we would have the cap to address it.