You can only take one: Belicheat or Brady in his prime!

Adreme

Reaction score
I’m no Tom Brady fan but I respect what he’s accomplished. If he was only viewed as “okay” I doubt the Pats would have traded Bledsoe the following year after he had just signed the richest QB contract in NFL history. He was less than a year into that contract when they traded him.

That last sentence is why.

Bledsoe also ended up being an average QB so the 80-20 rule applied there quite well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That last sentence is why.

Bledsoe also ended up being an average QB so the 80-20 rule applied there quite well.

Bledsoe was better than an average QB or New England wouldn’t have signed him to that record breaking deal and they wouldn’t have been able to get a first round pick for him. He was very productive but turnover prone. When he retired he was in the top 10 on the all time passing list.

Adreme

Reaction score
Bledsoe was better than an average QB or New England wouldn’t have signed him to that record breaking deal and they wouldn’t have been able to get a first round pick for him. He was very productive but turnover prone. When he retired he was in the top 10 on the all time passing list.

He had some good years early in his career but by the time they signed him to that contract, he had stopped putting up the same positive numbers but did not drop off the negative numbers. Basically they paid for what he used to be rather than what he was lately (an all too common mistake in the NFL).

Also the job of a bus driver is to not lose the game. They did not need a QB trying to win the game but creating turnovers. They needed a QB to just make the safe play and not lose the game. They needed an Alex Smith type QB for those first few SBs and that is what they got.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Bellichick could have won multiple super bowls with any of the top quarterbacks of the 00's.

Brady, manning, Big Ben, Romo, Rivers, Eli, matt Ryan, Rodgers, wilson.

he would have won multiple super bowls with any of them. The patriots are the smartest team in the league and they play the best defense at the most important times. Always had great special teams also.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They needed an Alex Smith type QB for those first few SBs and that is what they got.

Alex Smith never threw more than 26 TDs in a season. Brady tossed 28 TDs twice in those three seasons we’re discussing. NE wouldn’t have won crap with an Alex Smith. Even early in his career Brady was putting bigger numbers than Alex Smith ever did. We’ve exhausted this discussion. I’m moving on to today’s game.

Adreme

Reaction score
Alex Smith never threw more than 26 TDs in a season. Brady tossed 28 TDs twice in those three seasons we’re discussing. NE wouldn’t have won crap with an Alex Smith. Even early in his career Brady was putting bigger numbers than Alex Smith ever did. We’ve exhausted this discussion. I’m moving on to today’s game.

I like how you cite the most easily paddable stat as your evidence. Even in the season where Brady had 50 TD passes, everyone knew the reason was that they threw more at the goalline. Alex Smith, especially after he finally got a real coordinator, was more accurate, threw far less INTs and all in all was the type of game manager akin to what NE needed to win. Basically nobody who watched those teams would think Brady was doing anything more than filling the Terry Bradshaw role. He grew MUCH better but that is what he was back then.

Also I have a hunch I will not enjoy today's games.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Belichick had a prime??
*Yes,,,er,,,well, he'd attained orbital escape velocity ,away from the "also rans of mid-herd coaching capabilities to become the DARK LORD, after the league canned the BROWNS ( B.B./head coach) & pretty much the majority of his entire hand picked& personally trained assistant coaching staffers rolled on over to BALTIMORE in it's fledgling debut & snagged a Lombardi trophy is a real testament in& of itself*