You don't build a team through free agency!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is what we've been accustomed to hearing, and we end up seeing the results of these comments we're being fed every off season. You can't build a team through FA, but you CAN acquire talent if you get the right guys that can elevate a team such as this team.

We have to get over the past, and focus on the present. Look around the league and see what happens when you make sound moves! Of course not every move will get you to the Superbowl, but at least try!! Please give your thoughts

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Los-Angeles-Rams-Sean-McVay-exorcises-past-demons-to-win-Super-Bowl-56-scaled.jpg

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We are not building a team. We are trying to fix specific areas fast while the overall roster is good in hopes of making it great or at least better. That’s exactly what free agency is supposed to be used for. Exactly right.
"right guys that can elevate a team such as this team."

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This teams due diligence in free agency has been laughable. It’s an important part of the process. Not just something you skip over ever year until you decide to go dumpster diving!
who knows how far this team could have gone with adding a key player(s) in free agency to this team, instead of adding bottom barrel guys

phildadon86

Reaction score
This is what we've been accustomed to hearing, and we end up seeing the results of these comments we're being fed every off season. You can't build a team through FA, but you CAN acquire talent if you get the right guys that can elevate a team such as this team.

We have to get over the past, and focus on the present. Look around the league and see what happens when you make sound moves! Of course not every move will get you to the Superbowl, but at least try!! Please give your thoughts
You build a team using all 3 facets. FA, Trade, draft. This team hasnt spent money on a FA since Bradon Carr.

That was in 2012 I think.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You build a team using all 3 facets. FA, Trade, draft. This team hasnt spent money on a FA since Bradon Carr.

12 years ago lol, what stain did he leave on this organizations geez!! lol

Blackrain

Reaction score

Now this is the truth if you're not using all three facets of team building you're just handcuffing yourself and making your team unable to compete with the rest of the league that is using everything at their disposal.

I'm not saying overpay washed up players but I am saying there have been players out there that could have gotten us over the top and we just ignored it and end up going out in the first round every year.

We can't get further because we don't use everything at our disposal to compete

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
who knows how far this team could have gone with adding a key player(s) in free agency to this team, instead of adding bottom barrel guys
Actually SF built their team through the draft. It took some time but the did it. They were not a team that used FA a lot. GB was the same for a while.
Only recently SF signed some FA's and made the right trades. Such as betting CMC. They lucked into Purdy, just as NE lucked into Brady.

Rams did both, but especially in FA, and now fans think you need to go big with FA's. No, you still build through the draft, fill holes in FA. However, a big time player will help for sure. As SF signed Hargrave and made a few other trades. But still blew the game.

Eagles tired a bunch of FA's and drafting what seemed like the entire Georgia defense. They too blew their chance.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well they’ve built the team through the draft and cheap low level FA’s and it has won us 37 games the past three years. To take that next step is to add some really good FA’s and continue to draft well. I mean why not?
Right they are on the cusp of going further. But are they truly ... all in ... to get there.

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
Hell, a lot of the replies indicate people didn't even read the post and just wanted to argue against the thread title.
lol
I have said before that as long as the penalty for violating the salary cap is losing draft picks then so be it.
I can just hire people that have already proven they can play at the NFL level and have experience.
If the violations don't prevent me from post season play then I'm going to spend whatever it takes to get to the SB damn near every year.
Where is the downside other than a little bit of my profits if I am the owner?
I will make most of that back by winning SBs.

Aven8

Reaction score
Right they are on the cusp of going further. But are they truly ... all in ... to get there.
We’ve tried it the way they like doing things and at least they been a consistent franchise at doing that. But it’s time to get outside the box and just see if buying some FA’s will put them over the top. The way they’ve been doing it is fine if the WC/Divisional round is your goal.

Havic

Reaction score
Ideally you draft well and use free agents to plug holes. I’d go all in just for 1 even if it meant cap
hell for years after

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

True, but in our think tank’s mind they are not building a team , they think they are only a 1-2 players away from SB caliber.

But even that approach will work only if you go and get the best of FA in the respective positions, Stephen the bargain bin man can’t get top talent for peanuts.