You don't build a team through free agency!

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You most certainly do need to supplement your drafts with FA acquisitions. Success speaks for itself.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is what we've been accustomed to hearing, and we end up seeing the results of these comments we're being fed every off season. You can't build a team through FA, but you CAN acquire talent if you get the right guys that can elevate a team such as this team.

We have to get over the past, and focus on the present. Look around the league and see what happens when you make sound moves! Of course not every move will get you to the Superbowl, but at least try!! Please give your thoughts
A stud DT would make a huge difference on this defense.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree. But they need both to finally stop getting gashed by RB's.
Don't guess I the draft like we did with Mazi, get a known commodity in free agency at DT. Their are several LB that had 100+ tackles in the draft and or take the risk on an old Vet LB and risk injury.

We don't have the money for both. If we split the money in half for both, we most likely will not be happy with either of them.

I would be happy with just 1 impact free agent stud DT. Versus 3+ middle of the road free agents.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Many here are not saying ignore FA, many agree FA is important bargain basement and and Top Tier are where the biggest troubles can be found. Majority of the "top tier" guys get these big deals and hardly see the end of the deal. Yes while bargain bin FA can give production over their salary there salaries in a lot of cases are right around league min so the bar is not that high. If it were me I would look at what you want in FA what top tier guy fits and then look for a guy next tier down that has most of what that top tier guy has. If you can get a top tier guy by all means but most will end up like Brandon Carr, big contract, big expectation from the fans and ultimately big disappointment.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Many here are not saying ignore FA, many agree FA is important bargain basement and and Top Tier are where the biggest troubles can be found. Majority of the "top tier" guys get these big deals and hardly see the end of the deal. Yes while bargain bin FA can give production over their salary there salaries in a lot of cases are right around league min so the bar is not that high. If it were me I would look at what you want in FA what top tier guy fits and then look for a guy next tier down that has most of what that top tier guy has. If you can get a top tier guy by all means but most will end up like Brandon Carr, big contract, big expectation from the fans and ultimately big disappointment.
Need to look for consistency in performance. Not one big year right before a new pay day. Look for someone who steadily improves YOY. That is a sign of a true professional working on their craft. Avoid players over 30, and with major or consistent injury problems.

GM's have to have some time of parameters or requirements like this for spending big money. I would also want a unanimous vote on a big decision, not a split decision. GM, HC, DC or OC, Position Coach and Scout team should all feel good about the decision. If the room is divided, then can't see how you make a huge investment.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Need to look for consistency in performance. Not one big year right before a new pay day. Look for someone who steadily improves YOY. That is a sign of a true professional working on their craft. Avoid players over 30, and with major or consistent injury problems.

GM's have to have some time of parameters or requirements like this for spending big money. I would also want a unanimous vote on a big decision, not a split decision. GM, HC, DC or OC, Position Coach and Scout team should all feel good about the decision. If the room is divided, then can't see how you make a huge investment.
That is hard with todays NFL contracts, outside of 1st rounders good players will hit their stride right as their 1st contract is expiring. 1st Rounders get 4 years and and 5th year option, usually if they do not get their 5th year option many are considered busts, yeah they can still play in the league for many years but not to their pedigree. I do agree all FA should be evaluated and looked at why they succeeded but saying well he was draft3-4 years ago and last year was his best year is a bit disingenuous because most of the talent in the NFL usually takes 3-4 years to fully develop. Some positions can perform day 1 like RB others require time and that usually coincides with when their 1st contract is about to expire.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree. But they need both to finally stop getting gashed by RB's.
They definitely need both but fixing the DT would really make the linebackers. We could get along just fun with a solid linebacker like a Jewell or a Kendrick’s or a hicks if we had a big pro bowl caliber d tackle up front generating pressure up the middle and plugging the run.

If we need to pick one position to dump real money into it’s the d tackle position imo.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That is hard with todays NFL contracts, outside of 1st rounders good players will hit their stride right as their 1st contract is expiring. 1st Rounders get 4 years and and 5th year option, usually if they do not get their 5th year option many are considered busts, yeah they can still play in the league for many years but not to their pedigree. I do agree all FA should be evaluated and looked at why they succeeded but saying well he was draft3-4 years ago and last year was his best year is a bit disingenuous because most of the talent in the NFL usually takes 3-4 years to fully develop. Some positions can perform day 1 like RB others require time and that usually coincides with when their 1st contract is about to expire.
Not saying his best year. I am talking about 1 hit wonders. Who sucked for 3 years then had a great year during contract time. I would avoid paying big money to those players.

If they progressed and got a little better every year, then had their best year that is fine. That is what you want.

But I am not spending big money on a player who sucked for 3 years and then had an outstanding year. That is red flag to me and as soon as they get their money they will be lazy again.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
If you do win that way, does the NFL take your Lombardi away? whats the consequences if you do?

What happens to people who do something new or something thats been done and win but than we scream, well thats NOT how you do it, than what happens?

the NFL is like retail, no one knows what the next big trend is, so do everything until it lands.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Laken Tomlinson being cut by the Jets . Pair him at guard opposite Zack Martin move Tyler Smith to LT get 77 under contract at RT and have the Terrence Steele Bass as depth . Now go out and look for a center in the draft .

Big_D

Reaction score
Laken Tomlinson being cut by the Jets . Pair him at guard opposite Zack Martin move Tyler Smith to LT get 77 under contract at RT and have the Terrence Steele Bass as depth . Now go out and look for a center in the draft .
Steele is the RT, he isn’t going anywhere. So it boils down to needing a center and either a LG or LT. If Tyron Smith is resigned then it’s just a center.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Steele is the RT, he isn’t going anywhere. So it boils down to needing a center and either a LG or LT. If Tyron Smith is resigned then it’s just a center.

Steele will not be part of any dominance. He’s NFL depth

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
This is what we've been accustomed to hearing, and we end up seeing the results of these comments we're being fed every off season. You can't build a team through FA, but you CAN acquire talent if you get the right guys that can elevate a team such as this team.

We have to get over the past, and focus on the present. Look around the league and see what happens when you make sound moves! Of course not every move will get you to the Superbowl, but at least try!! Please give your thoughts
First and foremost you have to have a front office who actually cares about winning. The current one doesn't. Their Forbes listing is more important.

You will never win championships if your first priority is to be the leader in a popularity contest.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Have to use all of the tools at their disposal. Free Agency/Draft/Trade deadline IN that order. They use one of the 3 and wonder why they cone up short every year.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Ignoring the giant elephant in the room.....

This team is in a position right now to add the right free agents and shoot their shot. Should have done it last year, and maybe the year before as well.

But yea, you need to be close before you start signing big money FA's. Continuity and cohesiveness matters and the only way you get that is by running the gauntlet with your teammates.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Tyron is good for about 4 games.