You don't move on from Dak unless you have The Franchise already on the roster

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The OP sounds like he's scared of the unknown. He's content to stick with mediocre garbage because the replacement could be worse. The replacement could be a hall of famer, but you will never find out if you don't try.
He’s saying stick with what you have until you have a viable replacement. Sounds like sound logic to me. But Jerry will draft the next Paxton Lynch and you guys will be happy simply because he’s unknown lol.

morat1959

Reaction score
Green Bay had Favre and did not move on from four until they were sure on Aaron Rodgers.

Many years later, Green Bay did not move on from Aaron Rodgers until they were sure Jordan Love was the guy.

The Colts did not move on from Peyton Manning until they had Andrew Luck.

Successful organizations don’t move on from guys until they have the guy.

If you don’t have a plan, it could be several 5-11 seasons (like Washington since cousins left).

So unless he drafts a qb, he would gambling the franchises stability and worth. Or he would have to believe in Trey Lance.

In 2016, I saw Dallas play Cleveland in Cleveland. Cleveland was winless (0-8?) and the fans that did show up (very little), all left by the end of the first quarter. Concession stands, etc. had no lines.

I don’t think he moves on until he has the guy in house. He moved on from Romo because he had Dak. He has shown that awareness in the past. And Dak and Dallas have made the playoffs consistently, he needs to step up in the playoffs.

It’s Jerry’s money, he has to pay Dak until he has someone better. He knows it, Dak knows it.

Go Cowboys!
Dak’s not in the same universe with the other QBs you’ve listed above. This is nothing more than a Dak lover post. Get rid of the bum and move on.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak is no Brett Favre…. And Favre already got them a SB..

Dak was drafted as a back-up, not a starter. In fact, he was also drafted to be behind the most winning college QB, who also got hurt and did not have the good fortune to play behind that OL and Zeke and that roster. Moore would have had a full training camp himself to start.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Green Bay had Favre and did not move on from four until they were sure on Aaron Rodgers.

Many years later, Green Bay did not move on from Aaron Rodgers until they were sure Jordan Love was the guy.

The Colts did not move on from Peyton Manning until they had Andrew Luck.

Successful organizations don’t move on from guys until they have the guy.

If you don’t have a plan, it could be several 5-11 seasons (like Washington since cousins left).

So unless he drafts a qb, he would gambling the franchises stability and worth. Or he would have to believe in Trey Lance.

In 2016, I saw Dallas play Cleveland in Cleveland. Cleveland was winless (0-8?) and the fans that did show up (very little), all left by the end of the first quarter. Concession stands, etc. had no lines.

I don’t think he moves on until he has the guy in house. He moved on from Romo because he had Dak. He has shown that awareness in the past. And Dak and Dallas have made the playoffs consistently, he needs to step up in the playoffs.

It’s Jerry’s money, he has to pay Dak until he has someone better. He knows it, Dak knows it.

Go Cowboys!
Your analysis leaves out two important variables. 1) They were top tier QB's. The only reason to move on from them was they were nearing the end of their career. 2) Money that has to be committed to the QB you are "keeping". If you were able to keep the incumbent year to year on a reasonable salary with no future commitments then sure it would be smart to keep an OK QB til you felt you had equal or better. But alas, that is not how the NFL works.

Carson

Reaction score
The way the fans act they deserve a few years of Nathan Peterman

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What is unnatural about fans wanting their team to get better?

I think all of us that want a change understand that there is no guarantee with the next guy. Just like their is no guarantee with whoever you bring in for OL, DL, LB, etc.. But keeping what you have when it isn't good enough is way worse than not trying.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What is unnatural about fans wanting their team to get better?

I think all of us that want a change understand that there is no guarantee with the next guy. Just like their is no guarantee with whoever you bring in for OL, DL, LB, etc.. But keeping what you have when it isn't good enough is way worse than not trying.
I think for some of us we laugh at this because it insinuates Dak is holding us back. The problem with that is we sucked for the past 28 years…..Dak has only been in the league 8. The math isn’t working unless we want to blame 3 year old Dak for 28 years ago.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brett Favre (drafted by Atlanta in second round/acquired via trade by Green Bay in his second season with first round pick) -to- Aaron Rodgers (drafted by Green Bay via first round pick)

Peyton Manning (drafted by Indianapolis in first round) -to- Andrew Luck (drafted by Indianapolis in first round)

Jerry Jones Notable Supported Quarterback Transitions

Troy Aikman (drafted first round) -to- Quincy Carter (drafted second round/projected fourth-to-sixth round/post Aikman retirement)

Drew Bledsoe (drafted by New England in first round/acquired via free agency) -to- Tony Romo (acquired via undrafted free agency) Note: transition occurred after Bledsoe's erratic play became too much for Bill Parcells six games into the season (link)

Tony Romo -to- Dak Prescott (drafted fourth round/preseason third-string backup quarterback/started via two injuries occurring in preseason)

Hypothetical Jerry Jones Future Supported Quarterback Transitions (based on past history in order of likelihood in my opinion)

Dak Prescott -to- Trey Lance (drafted first round/aquired via trade with fourth pick compensation after oft-injured brief San Francisco career)

Dak Prescott -to- long-time veteran free agency quarterback

Dak Prescott -to- second or third draft day quarterback

Dak Prescott -to- undrafted free agency quarterback

Dak Prescott -to- first round draft pick

Ironically, it is highly likely both Jones and a significant number of his franchise's fans will heavily support the third most likely scenario if there are preseason injuries to starters, followed by extremely good play and a string of team wins halfway into the rookie's season. Not a hypothetical. That happened in real life. What remains extremely odd is the defection of a particular chunk of those same supporters of Jones' permanent franchise quarterback transition in the seasons that followed.

Good luck to anyone thinking Jerry Jones will make the least likely transition come true. He could. Will he? His GM history does not support the possibility over the others.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Believe it or not, the choice to go that route is up to only one man….and it ain’t Jerry Jones.

If Dak doesn’t want to stay he will get huge offers elsewhere. He may very well have already decided to move on for all we know.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I think for some of us we laugh at this because it insinuates Dak is holding us back. The problem with that is we sucked for the past 28 years…..Dak has only been in the league 8. The math isn’t working unless we want to blame 3 year old Dak for 28 years ago.
When Dak is being discussed it is only for his failures during his 8 year career. Dak is holding the team back. There isn't any ambiguity about that.

Whether the team is good enough to win a SB even if he were playing at an acceptable level when not going against cream puffs, that is hard to say. But I feel pretty certain we would have gotten further than the first round.

Certainly there are "other" issues when you talk big picture and 28 years. Those have nothing to do with Dak. I have never seen anyone insinuate otherwise.

jujoboys

Reaction score
If the Cowboys intend to move on from Dak after this season and they don't feel Trey Lance is the guy then it would be wise to draft a QB in this draft if one they like falls to them in the 1st round. It would be even wiser to try and trade him for draft picks prior to the draft so they have the ammunition they need to potentially move up and get one they may covet. Of course this would require Dak being onboard with a trade and also finding a willing trade partner. However, it doesn't seem likely they are planning to take a QB early in this draft because their is no evidence they have been meeting with any of the top ranked QBs. At this point we have no idea what Stephen and Jerry are thinking which is what makes all of this so frustrating. They could still be thinking about extending him, trading him, or letting him play out his contract and hit free agency where they would either let him walk or get into a bidding war for him. This may not end up getting resolved until next March and it may or may not be resolved in a way that makes the fan base happy. Jerry and Stephen don't care what they fans think and will do this thing their way and most likely mess it all up like they usually do.

If I had to guess this is what I think will end up happening. Stephen and Jerry will let this whole Dak situation hang over the team through the entire 2024 season. We will hear about it on a weekly basis from the media and Jerry will love every minute of the attention. McCarthy will end up getting fired and just prior to Dak becoming a free agent in March, Jerry will sign him to this ridiculous contract that makes him the highest paid player in the NFL. It doesn't matter if we can win a Super Bowl with Dak. Dallas wins enough with him to keep our name in the media and Jerry will get all of the attention from the big contract Dak signed. Jerry doesn't care whether that attention is positive or negative. He just loves the attention.

khiladi

Reaction score
Rush and Dalton did better than Dak with the rosters they were handed in the same years they started as Dak did….

We already had “Dak-friendly” offense without talent at WR.. the Quincy Carter records of futility were in par with Peterman..

HanD

Reaction score
in theory yes but you also don't hamstring your cap and the rest of your team by overpaying a qb unless he's shown he can carry the team on his back in the playoffs. If you do, it's called the treadmill mediocrity theory. always good enough to make the playoffs but never do anything when you get there. i'm not saying now but sometimes it's better to just start from scratch instead of trying to save a lost cause.

Carson

Reaction score
Rush and Dalton did better than Dak with the rosters they were handed in the same years they started as Dak did….

We already had “Dak-friendly” offense without talent at WR.. the Quincy Carter records of futility were in par with Peterman..
Look I dislike Dak and think the correct move is to move on.

But Rush was carried by the D and only had to make a handful of plays. That why they couldn’t compete with Philly.

Dalton? He was something like 4-5 or 4-6. He did not exactly tear it up.

Like I said, you just cannot extend Dak for that contract. But the disrespect he gets and how easily QBs are replaced is ridiculou!