You don't move on from Dak unless you have The Franchise already on the roster

khiladi

Reaction score
Look I dislike Dak and think the correct move is to move on.

But Rush was carried by the D and only had to make a handful of plays. That why they couldn’t compete with Philly.

Dalton? He was something like 4-5 or 4-6. He did not exactly tear it up.

Like I said, you just cannot extend Dak for that contract. But the disrespect he gets and how easily QBs are replaced is ridiculou!
This is not factually correct.

The great thing about Rush leading the team, is they intentionally didn't let Rush loose...

It was 17-3 at half against the Bengals.. Rush had no trouble moving the ball.

Against the Giants, Dallas was ahead 6-3, was up 13-3 and then scored 10 in the 4th... In fact it was 23-13 with 6 minutes to play. They didn't need to score more.

Dallas was up 12-7 against the Commanders, at half, 15-10 after the third Dallas scores 10 points in the 4th.

Against the Rams, Dallas was up 16-10 at half and scored 6 to win 22-10...

They were playing with the lead in every game. Even against the Eagles, they were down 20-3 at half, but Rush got them two TDs by early in the 4th to make it 20-17, but Dallas defense folded on an 8 minute drive.

This idea the defense won the game for Rush is a loadof hogwash.

And this was Rush's first season starting... If we go by Dak in this second year with allhis experience, he was complete garbage... Give Rush about 8 years too with the rosters Dak has been playing with, I'm sure he can get to the playoffs multiple times to lose in the first round like "elite" Dak...

Dalton win the game against the Giants that Dak started and broke his leg. Zach Martin was shelved by the time Dalton came back after the bye. Dalton had no OL and he was 4th in release time after the bye. In 4 of the games they won, Dallas averaged over 34 PPG. If one argues that they were l not good teams, well then welcome to the world of Dak. They actually should have won the last game too, but Lamb dropped a wide open TD on the last drive.

khiladi

Reaction score
He wants to be paid like a Super Bowl MVP. He hasn't even made divisional round MVP.
Dak was paid like an elite QB, with a no-trade clause, coming off a broken leg and 7 TOs in 5 games. He set Quincy Carter records of futility when Dez was released and Dallas needed to leverage picks to get Cooper. He still couldn’t throw against zone. He was trash in 2017, had 3 picks returned for TDs like 3 games into the season, so Linehan had to force-feed Zeke again. Then Zeke was suspended and Dak couldn’t even get the offense to double-digit scoring against a winning team. He even sucked during that 6 game stretch against the bottom-feeders. It took him a week to throw a TD in training camp in year 3. They just dumbed-down the offense for him last training camp and they even had to adjust it mid-season, because he looked like trash. He then ended the season with 5 picks in 5 games. And once GB figured out all they had to do was stop Lamb, the real MVP, it was over..

It’s amazing that people act like this guy had been performing ever since he’s been here…

fivetwos

Reaction score
If the Cowboys intend to move on from Dak after this season and they don't feel Trey Lance is the guy then it would be wise to draft a QB in this draft if one they like falls to them in the 1st round. It would be even wiser to try and trade him for draft picks prior to the draft so they have the ammunition they need to potentially move up and get one they may covet. Of course this would require Dak being onboard with a trade and also finding a willing trade partner. However, it doesn't seem likely they are planning to take a QB early in this draft because their is no evidence they have been meeting with any of the top ranked QBs. At this point we have no idea what Stephen and Jerry are thinking which is what makes all of this so frustrating. They could still be thinking about extending him, trading him, or letting him play out his contract and hit free agency where they would either let him walk or get into a bidding war for him. This may not end up getting resolved until next March and it may or may not be resolved in a way that makes the fan base happy. Jerry and Stephen don't care what they fans think and will do this thing their way and most likely mess it all up like they usually do.

If I had to guess this is what I think will end up happening. Stephen and Jerry will let this whole Dak situation hang over the team through the entire 2024 season. We will hear about it on a weekly basis from the media and Jerry will love every minute of the attention. McCarthy will end up getting fired and just prior to Dak becoming a free agent in March, Jerry will sign him to this ridiculous contract that makes him the highest paid player in the NFL. It doesn't matter if we can win a Super Bowl with Dak. Dallas wins enough with him to keep our name in the media and Jerry will get all of the attention from the big contract Dak signed. Jerry doesn't care whether that attention is positive or negative. He just loves the attention.
Second paragraph…I agree that’s the most likely way things end up going, but I think Jerry actually does believe Dak can win.

I think he possibly could also, just not under the current leadership…. be that the caliber of coaching that’s allowed or the refusal to use FA to put them over the top.

They overrate many of their own players in the same regard, Dak just gets much more attention.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Green Bay had Favre and did not move on from four until they were sure on Aaron Rodgers.

Many years later, Green Bay did not move on from Aaron Rodgers until they were sure Jordan Love was the guy.

The Colts did not move on from Peyton Manning until they had Andrew Luck.

Successful organizations don’t move on from guys until they have the guy.

If you don’t have a plan, it could be several 5-11 seasons (like Washington since cousins left).

So unless he drafts a qb, he would gambling the franchises stability and worth. Or he would have to believe in Trey Lance.

In 2016, I saw Dallas play Cleveland in Cleveland. Cleveland was winless (0-8?) and the fans that did show up (very little), all left by the end of the first quarter. Concession stands, etc. had no lines.

I don’t think he moves on until he has the guy in house. He moved on from Romo because he had Dak. He has shown that awareness in the past. And Dak and Dallas have made the playoffs consistently, he needs to step up in the playoffs.

It’s Jerry’s money, he has to pay Dak until he has someone better. He knows it, Dak knows it.

Go Cowboys!
Farve, Manning.... Dak.

Dak fans are delusional.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Jerry actually does believe Dak can win.
Jerry believed that Johnny Manziel and Paxton Lynch were viable options at QB. It's funny how when we talk about drafting a QB we hear that Jerry almost picked Manziel and Lynch. But when we talk about Jerrys views on Dak - it's all good. Don't question that, Jerry is right about that LOL

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry believed that Johnny Manziel and Paxton Lynch were viable options at QB. It's funny how when we talk about drafting a QB we hear that Jerry almost picked Manziel and Lynch. But when we talk about Jerrys views on Dak - it's all good. Don't question that, Jerry is right about that LOL
Whoa….hold on. I was speaking only about what he likely thinks, not at all about what anyone else does, myself included.

Some people don’t even want to try once to find a new QB, meanwhile it’s probably going to take many failures to do so again, but that’s what this franchise needs….several abysmal years so they finally hire capable people. I mean, at that point Jerry will be pushing 90. Is he seriously going to be trying to pull this GM charade by then?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When Dak is being discussed it is only for his failures during his 8 year career. Dak is holding the team back. There isn't any ambiguity about that.

Whether the team is good enough to win a SB even if he were playing at an acceptable level when not going against cream puffs, that is hard to say. But I feel pretty certain we would have gotten further than the first round.

Certainly there are "other" issues when you talk big picture and 28 years. Those have nothing to do with Dak. I have never seen anyone insinuate otherwise.
But you guys keep going from scapegoat to scapegoat. How many scapegoat’s are you guys gonna allow Jerry and co. To have?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How superior is he looking these days when after 8 seasons he hasn't accomplished anything more than Romo did in his time here?
I’m not arguing who’s better or who sucked less. I’m simply stating they did exactly what was suggested.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because Jerry isn’t the only one who thinks Dak can win.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You clearly said that Dak was superior. You didn't say his name but that's exactly what you were insinuating.

They're the same loser QB's in my book.
You’re confused. I said the Cowboys went with the superior guy at the time. He was young, healthier and more mobile. Team rallied behind him. Like I said I’m not going to argue who’s better with a guy who’s biased on the subject. It’s been done a million times.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Brett Favre (drafted by Atlanta in second round/acquired via trade by Green Bay in his second season with first round pick) -to- Aaron Rodgers (drafted by Green Bay via first round pick)

Peyton Manning (drafted by Indianapolis in first round) -to- Andrew Luck (drafted by Indianapolis in first round)

Jerry Jones Notable Supported Quarterback Transitions

Troy Aikman (drafted first round) -to- Quincy Carter (drafted second round/projected fourth-to-sixth round/post Aikman retirement)

Drew Bledsoe (drafted by New England in first round/acquired via free agency) -to- Tony Romo (acquired via undrafted free agency) Note: transition occurred after Bledsoe's erratic play became too much for Bill Parcells six games into the season (link)

Tony Romo -to- Dak Prescott (drafted fourth round/preseason third-string backup quarterback/started via two injuries occurring in preseason)

Hypothetical Jerry Jones Future Supported Quarterback Transitions (based on past history in order of likelihood in my opinion)

Dak Prescott -to- Trey Lance (drafted first round/aquired via trade with fourth pick compensation after oft-injured brief San Francisco career)

Dak Prescott -to- long-time veteran free agency quarterback

Dak Prescott -to- second or third draft day quarterback

Dak Prescott -to- undrafted free agency quarterback

Dak Prescott -to- first round draft pick

Ironically, it is highly likely both Jones and a significant number of his franchise's fans will heavily support the third most likely scenario if there are preseason injuries to starters, followed by extremely good play and a string of team wins halfway into the rookie's season. Not a hypothetical. That happened in real life. What remains extremely odd is the defection of a particular chunk of those same supporters of Jones' permanent franchise quarterback transition in the seasons that followed.

Good luck to anyone thinking Jerry Jones will make the least likely transition come true. He could. Will he? His GM history does not support the possibility over the others.
This its really not about Dak or no Dak, its about the FO that is making the moves...if you trust this FO you really have not been paying attention..there is no other way to say it. Winning Franchises have an FO that builds a team..this FO collects good talent and then turns them into individual SUPERSTARS that really dont care about team goals..because the FO doesnt care about team goals...

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think the best course of action.is to build the OL, receiving corps and defense, trade Prescott for what we can get and see what we have in Lance. If Lance doesn't pan out, we'll be picking high enough to draft Shedeur.

kidd_91

Reaction score
Let's see. Romo got injured, Dak stepped in. Romo returns and plays 1 series upon his return, then retires at the end of that year.

Jerry moved on because he didn't want to interfere with their win streak.

Looks like your theory doesn't hold water when it comes to Jerry.
And that series was a walk down the field and a score. It was so unfair to Romo, say what you will about him, he left everything on the field and got discarded. I still believe that team and him could have made a run at the SB. I don't see that in Dak.