You don't move on from Dak unless you have The Franchise already on the roster

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Green Bay had Favre and did not move on from four until they were sure on Aaron Rodgers.

Many years later, Green Bay did not move on from Aaron Rodgers until they were sure Jordan Love was the guy.

The Colts did not move on from Peyton Manning until they had Andrew Luck.

Successful organizations don’t move on from guys until they have the guy.

If you don’t have a plan, it could be several 5-11 seasons (like Washington since cousins left).

So unless he drafts a qb, he would gambling the franchises stability and worth. Or he would have to believe in Trey Lance.

In 2016, I saw Dallas play Cleveland in Cleveland. Cleveland was winless (0-8?) and the fans that did show up (very little), all left by the end of the first quarter. Concession stands, etc. had no lines.

I don’t think he moves on until he has the guy in house. He moved on from Romo because he had Dak. He has shown that awareness in the past. And Dak and Dallas have made the playoffs consistently, he needs to step up in the playoffs.

It’s Jerry’s money, he has to pay Dak until he has someone better. He knows it, Dak knows it.

Go Cowboys!
#Lance2024

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think the best course of action.is to build the OL, receiving corps and defense, trade Prescott for what we can get and see what we have in Lance. If Lance doesn't pan out, we'll be picking high enough to draft Shedeur.
They need a RB also.

But you are right.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I am not in the least convinced they knew Love was their guy and they rolled the dice last year because there was no better alternative. They hesitated to commit to him, pick up options, etc. This is not confidence....GB has had a competitive team annually because they know what they are doing with their roster, and draft extremely well. Everything we wish our Cowboys front office knew how to do

jujoboys

Reaction score
Second paragraph…I agree that’s the most likely way things end up going, but I think Jerry actually does believe Dak can win.

I think he possibly could also, just not under the current leadership…. be that the caliber of coaching that’s allowed or the refusal to use FA to put them over the top.

They overrate many of their own players in the same regard, Dak just gets much more attention.
I don't disagree that we could win with Dak. However, it can't be with an offense like the one last year that had him as the entire focus of the offense. He needs an entire team around him and a competent coaching staff. Last year we had a mediocre OLine, no running game, and an overrated defense. Teams like the 49ers, Cardinals, Seahawks, and Packers really exposed the defense last year but we ignored it because of how they looked against some of the weaker teams. Put Dak on the 49ers with that talent and that coaching and he probably goes further in the playoffs. However, you can't pay a QB top money that requires all of that talent around him. Dak is going to command $55 to $60 million a year and probably get it from some team. The problem is that you get cap strapped and can't build the team around him if you give him max compensation. Unless Dak takes a team friendly deal so we can build around him then I think we need to move on. We don't need to be paying him max compensation.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't disagree that we could win with Dak. However, it can't be with an offense like the one last year that had him as the entire focus of the offense. He needs an entire team around him and a competent coaching staff. Last year we had a mediocre OLine, no running game, and an overrated defense. Teams like the 49ers, Cardinals, Seahawks, and Packers really exposed the defense last year but we ignored it because of how they looked against some of the weaker teams. Put Dak on the 49ers with that talent and that coaching and he probably goes further in the playoffs. However, you can't pay a QB top money that requires all of that talent around him. Dak is going to command $55 to $60 million a year and probably get it from some team. The problem is that you get cap strapped and can't build the team around him if you give him max compensation. Unless Dak takes a team friendly deal so we can build around him then I think we need to move on. We don't need to be paying him max compensation.
Fully agree with that.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don’t have much choice bc his contract demands prevent the team from adding the talent required to get to the next level. Dak has taken this franchise as far as he can. Time to turn the page.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
We don’t have much choice bc his contract demands prevent the team from adding the talent required to get to the next level. Dak has taken this franchise as far as he can. Time to turn the page.
This ........ was about to post the same thing. Unless a QB has won multiple Superbowls ....... you never give him a 3rd contract ....... ever

Motorola

Reaction score
Dak is no Brett Favre…. And Favre already got them a SB..

Dak was drafted as a back-up, not a starter. In fact, he was also drafted to be behind the most winning college QB, who also got hurt and did not have the good fortune to play behind that OL and Zeke and that roster. Moore would have had a full training camp himself to start.
Kellen Moore was a Detroit Lions UDFA who did not play a single down in three seasons with the team 2012-14.
In 2015, the Cowboys signed Moore to the practice squad.
He became the backup to Brandon Weeden when Romo was out with the shoulder injury (the first time). Even when Weeden faltered, the Cowboys signed another QB - Matt Cassel to start instead of Moore.
When Cassel was bad f

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This its really not about Dak or no Dak, its about the FO that is making the moves...if you trust this FO you really have not been paying attention..there is no other way to say it. Winning Franchises have an FO that builds a team..this FO collects good talent and then turns them into individual SUPERSTARS that really dont care about team goals..because the FO doesnt care about team goals...
I mostly agree except for the bold. I do think the front office a.k.a. Jerry Jones does care about team goals. However, my opinion is not generally shared by others.

In all seriousness (dead serious), I think Jones believes he is always making solid, final decisions in terms of coaching and player acquisitions, hiring, firing, contracts, etc. Why? Because he has always projected himself as a qualified, knowledgeable football operations executive. Now, I do not believe that is a true self-assessment in reality. He is lying to himself. However, I do think he believes it is absolutely true. As such, I believe he sees each shortcoming of the team every year as a by-product of what his coaches and players did not accomplish--and not because of the decisions he made leading up to the beginning of each season. In short, he shifts 'enough' blame from himself to others.

That type of mindset believes he has done more than enough as a general manager to achieve success a.k.a. team goals. The reality is that he has never solely formulated the correct mix of coaching and players in any given year to achieve those same goals, since he bought the team, over 35 years ago.

That is just my opinion though. Opposing opinions vary but generally state Jones is consciously and purposefully sabotaging team goals every year, usually based on the perception of self-greed. For example, Jones keeps <fill in the blank player> primarily for jersey sales. Yes he does. Every business person wants to be profitable. Jones is not the exception in that regard. Unfortunately, the logic is faulty. Jones can achieve higher profits via jersey sales with a better player.

Thing is, Jones thinks he has the 'better' player already and risks losing the 'better' player by acquiring one he has not already assessed for himself as being the better player. That is not greed. That is shortsightedness, which is a poor quality in a general manager of any professional sports team. That's Jerry Jones.

Motorola

Reaction score
Kellen Moore was a Detroit Lions UDFA who did not play a single down in three seasons with the team 2012-14.
In 2015, the Cowboys signed Moore to the practice squad.
He became the backup to Brandon Weeden when Romo was out with the shoulder injury (the first time). Even when Weeden faltered, the Cowboys signed another QB - Matt Cassel to start instead of Moore.
When Cassel was bad f
After the Cowboys went 1-6 with Cassel, Moore got a chance to play, then start two games to finish out the season.
Dallas was 0-2 with Moore.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Who care? 0-17. Getting laughed out of the building by the packers at home. Sports is sposta be fun.

The Mike and Dak team has had their shot. It isn’t a fun team to root for anymore.

Justin fields team had his back and they had some fun moments. He failed or they failed him and they moved on. But they at least were the plucky underdogs

This cowboys roster is the cocky bully who has no counter punch. The good teams have our number. And we jsut got a lot worse and are about to give everyone raises?

Just start over and let’s have some fun again

The problem is there’s no 40-0 beat down of the giants that’ll feel good next year. It means nothing

starfan1

Reaction score
Are Romo and Dak the reasons why those records or abysmal?
you wasting youre time Bro. even shabazz who is one of the more reasonable posters wants change. I am not sure if the fans in here are that football illiterate or they just want something new but 3/4 of them are dug in that the only way forward is complete rebuild or at the very least a new QB.

And Im not opposed to a new QB even though I dont blame either of the last 2 completely for our failures. We have found unique ways to screw up in the post season every year. Im not down with a rebuild though we are close. Run the ball and stop the run.You do those 2 things in the post season you got a good chance.

too many people in here with Patrick Mahomes envy. You just dont find them very easy

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I mostly agree except for the bold. I do think the front office a.k.a. Jerry Jones does care about team goals. However, my opinion is not generally shared by others.

In all seriousness (dead serious), I think Jones believes he is always making solid, final decisions in terms of coaching and player acquisitions, hiring, firing, contracts, etc. Why? Because he has always projected himself as a qualified, knowledgeable football operations executive. Now, I do not believe that is a true self-assessment in reality. He is lying to himself. However, I do think he believes it is absolutely true. As such, I believe he sees each shortcoming of the team every year as a by-product of what his coaches and players did not accomplish--and not because of the decisions he made leading up to the beginning of each season. In short, he shifts 'enough' blame from himself to others.

That type of mindset believes he has done more than enough as a general manager to achieve success a.k.a. team goals. The reality is that he has never solely formulated the correct mix of coaching and players in any given year to achieve those same goals, since he bought the team, over 35 years ago.

That is just my opinion though. Opposing opinions vary but generally state Jones is consciously and purposefully sabotaging team goals every year, usually based on the perception of self-greed. For example, Jones keeps <fill in the blank player> primarily for jersey sales. Yes he does. Every business person wants to be profitable. Jones is not the exception in that regard. Unfortunately, the logic is faulty. Jones can achieve higher profits via jersey sales with a better player.

Thing is, Jones thinks he has the 'better' player already and risks losing the 'better' player by acquiring one he has not already assessed for himself as being the better player. That is not greed. That is shortsightedness, which is a poor quality in a general manager of any professional sports team. That's Jerry Jones.
I cant say your opinion is wrong either, maybe a better way of putting it is if they are becomming a Superstar Jerry can't see the diference between a collection of individuals failing and a 53 man roster playing together as a team and winning. The culture his style creates doesnt lend well to the second team building plan..If that makes sense.

sbark

Reaction score
I am not in the least convinced they knew Love was their guy and they rolled the dice last year because there was no better alternative. They hesitated to commit to him, pick up options, etc. This is not confidence....GB has had a competitive team annually because they know what they are doing with their roster, and draft extremely well. Everything we wish our Cowboys front office knew how to do
My in-laws from Wisc stated before playoffs it was time to total rebuild the psckers. They claimed it was the sentiment of majority of fans....
....well, that changed i presume