"You have to win in the trenches"

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Darren Woodson agrees with some of us here. Here's a quote from Darren Woodson that I read in the paper today.

"We can say what we want about Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, Miles Austin and Tony Romo but if you're not winning in the trenches, you are not winning a championship."

Derinyar

Reaction score
I think he's just referring to the fact that you basically started this exact thread up like three days ago.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think he's just referring to the fact that you basically started this exact thread up like three days ago.

I'm a strong believer in this philosophy. Darren Woodson is one of my all time favorite Cowboys and I go back to the 60's teams. It baffles me that some folks don't believe this. Just plain ignorance.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree with all that but there is about 4 or 5 good O lines in the NFL.

I think we can give Romo more time this year than last.

Where I worry is if we go away from zone running.

We're not the 9ers. We'll never be able to consistently knock the other team off the ball on a power scheme.

If you aren't fully committed to getting studs all the way across the board then we need to have a pure zone scheme.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I agree with all that but there is about 4 or 5 good O lines in the NFL.

I think we can give Romo more time this year than last.

Where I worry is if we go away from zone running.

We're not the 9ers. We'll never be able to consistently knock the other team off the ball on a power scheme.

If you aren't fully committed to getting studs all the way across the board then we need to have a pure zone scheme.

49'ers are a pretty good team. They got 2 offensive lineman in the 1st round of the draft in 2010. Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis. That's how you do it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Darren Woodson agrees with some of us here. Here's a quote from Darren Woodson that I read in the paper today.

"We can say what we want about Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, Miles Austin and Tony Romo but if you're not winning in the trenches, you are not winning a championship."

Oh, boooooo.

What does he know?

You build from the back in. Then try to get by with the cast of Grease 2 up front.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
49'ers are a pretty good team. They got 2 offensive lineman in the 1st round of the draft in 2010. Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis. That's how you do it.

....And they got lucky and almost completely avoided the injury bug. Defense didn't look nearly as good the moment Justin Smith missed some time.

iceman117

Reaction score

Let them love skill positions but look at the Super Bowl last year, it was one of the trenches

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Trenches are where the battles are lost and won. We need to invest more in these areas on both sides of the ball. This is why I'm not at all upset with the Frederick pick. We finally have a true center that will hold up that "A" gap.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

We have 2 first rounders as well.

They just found better players in the overall unit to match their style.

We'll be better this year though,

Outside of the 9ers none of the top NFC teams have the greatest OL.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
In order to win, you have to pass the ball more effectively than your opponent. Sometimes that can be done by 'winning in the trenches.' But often times there is no discernible difference in play in the trenches and it comes down to the team that can purely pass it more effectively. I've seen the Cowboys look bad in the trenches, but if the opponent can't execute the passing and can't stop the pass, they are not going to win.

YR

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

I bet the Green Bay offensive line confuses the heck out of him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
In order to win, you have to pass the ball more effectively than your opponent. Sometimes that can be done by 'winning in the trenches.' But often times there is no discernible difference in play in the trenches and it comes down to the team that can purely pass it more effectively. I've seen the Cowboys look bad in the trenches, but if the opponent can't execute the passing and can't stop the pass, they are not going to win.

YR

O Line got a lot of blame for the Washinhton game but I thought they did well in that game.

We had the middle of the field wide open all night and Garrett just kept throwing the ball down the sideline.

Staubacher

Reaction score
O Line got a lot of blame for the Washinhton game but I thought they did well in that game.

We had the middle of the field wide open all night and Garrett just kept throwing the ball down the sideline.

Yeah getting Garrett out of the playcalling and letting Callahan and Tony run plays will help A LOT. In preseason we saw Romo attacking the middle with Austin

Reaction score
As Cowboys fans, we should all be used to the team focusing on skill positions. The league has a salary cap, and you can't afford to pour tens of millions of dollars into QB, WR, CB, etc. and also have a ton of talent on the lines. Jerral and Co. have made a conscious decision to use their resources in the flashier side of the game and they have for years.

When all is said and done, though, it's not that fact that makes this team so mediocre, so I don't think harping on it is all that constructive.