News: You May Not Realize It But The Cowboys Defense Keeps Getting Better

CCBoy

Reaction score
You May Not Realize It But The Cowboys Defense Keeps Getting Better
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...etter-byron-jones-scandrick-demarcus-thornton

usa-today-9340535.0.jpg

The Cowboys defense isn't very good. We get it. Fans will beat this drum, dance to it, and some will cover their ears in hopes that it will just go away. As much as we try, the cold reality is that the Cowboys defense remains a weak spot on this team.

But before we throw our hands up and concede to such awfulness, let’s try to get a good feel for the actuality of the situation. The defense has flaws, but let’s be careful and not group them with the historically bad unit that took the field a few years ago. This team has worked hard to distance themselves from that train wreck. Furthermore, the defense continues to show gradual improvement year after year. Some people desire the front office to make bigger moves like drafting Jalen Ramsey or signing a proven free agent edge rusher, but it didn’t happen and that’s just fine. The team is slowly and surely getting better. That’s what Jason Garrett preaches and that’s what is going on.

The Cool One recently wrote an article that showed how the defense isn’t as bad as some people think. He goes on to describe how the Aikman Efficiency Ratings uses some of the more important key metrics to determine the overall performance of the defense. There is some great supporting evidence to suggest that the Cowboys defense is right in the middle of the pack. There are a lot of specific parts that come into play and I recommend checking it out. Keeping things simple, the Cowboys average yards allowed rankings over the last three seasons are as follows:

image%2020.png

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
This is good. I'd just feel a lot better if we had a starting LB and DE's going into this season.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is good. I'd just feel a lot better if we had a starting LB and DE's going into this season.

This, actually, is sweet music for us as fans. We now get entertained by intense play by a very young group of players, that will bring a freshness of intensity to the field. They will be playing football as it was intended...not just holding onto a superior vantage. This will be great to watch, as it is pure sport now...

Staubacher

Reaction score
Defense blew games last year too. They will be poor again this year. Poor pass rush, one good LB, poor secondary. Last year no one had to challenge our defense because our QBs stunk. But when they needed to score they did every time.

visionary

Reaction score
Defense blew games last year too. They will be poor again this year. Poor pass rush, one good LB, poor secondary. Last year no one had to challenge our defense because our QBs stunk. But when they needed to score they did every time.

But but but "they're better than we think"

Doesn't that make you feel better?

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think they'll be the best defense Dallas had had in 5 years.
Not sure how good that actually is though.

Btw, the GB catch and run play almost made me hurl.
I forgot we had an 8 point lead near the end of the 3rd qtr with me them at 3rd and 15 near midfield...only to have all those missed tackles and poor coverage kill us.

xvendettax914

Reaction score
You May Not Realize It But The Cowboys Defense Keeps Getting Better
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...etter-byron-jones-scandrick-demarcus-thornton

usa-today-9340535.0.jpg

The Cowboys defense isn't very good. We get it. Fans will beat this drum, dance to it, and some will cover their ears in hopes that it will just go away. As much as we try, the cold reality is that the Cowboys defense remains a weak spot on this team.

But before we throw our hands up and concede to such awfulness, let’s try to get a good feel for the actuality of the situation. The defense has flaws, but let’s be careful and not group them with the historically bad unit that took the field a few years ago. This team has worked hard to distance themselves from that train wreck. Furthermore, the defense continues to show gradual improvement year after year. Some people desire the front office to make bigger moves like drafting Jalen Ramsey or signing a proven free agent edge rusher, but it didn’t happen and that’s just fine. The team is slowly and surely getting better. That’s what Jason Garrett preaches and that’s what is going on.

The Cool One recently wrote an article that showed how the defense isn’t as bad as some people think. He goes on to describe how the Aikman Efficiency Ratings uses some of the more important key metrics to determine the overall performance of the defense. There is some great supporting evidence to suggest that the Cowboys defense is right in the middle of the pack. There are a lot of specific parts that come into play and I recommend checking it out. Keeping things simple, the Cowboys average yards allowed rankings over the last three seasons are as follows:

image%2020.png

crazy to think that in 2015 there were worse offenses on the field. yikes.

JPostSam

Reaction score
i am encouraged enough to think that both units could be top third in the league this year.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Yards allowed is not the best way to judge the defense.

PPG
2013 - 26th
2014 - 15th
2015 - 16th

Turnover Differential
2013 - 10th
2014 - 9th (T)
2015 - 32th

We had only 11 takeaways last season. That tied the 1982 Colts for the fewest in a season in history...but the Colts did it during the '82 strike season.

I think it's fair to say the defense is every bit as bad as we think it is.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
We had only 11 takeaways last season. That tied the 1982 Colts for the fewest in a season in history...but the Colts did it during the '82 strike season.

I think it's fair to say the defense is every bit as bad as we think it is.

If you ignore the previous two seasons.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
if this defense does not step up this will be a 7 or 8 win team the defense just has to get better for them to compete with the better teams I'm hoping they do but we wont know until the regular season starts players being suspended don't help either.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
We were the worst team at taking the ball away in the history of the sport. I'd say that trumps anything that happened 2-3 years ago.

Well, you can look at it one of two ways. We were ranked 12th and 2nd in takeaways in 13' and 14', respectively. Then in '15 we dropped to last in the league. So either '13 and '14 were outliers and the D showed their "true colors" last year, or '15 was an outlier and we'll we should bounce back to a respectable number in '16.