News: You May Not Realize It But The Cowboys Defense Keeps Getting Better

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
This Defense sucks

1 good Linebacker
2 Suspended DEs, 1 of whom hasnt recorded a sack yet in his career
2 decent players in the secondary

If any of our division rivals started the season with this current unit, we would all be saying they have a porous defense

Doomsay

Reaction score
This Defense sucks

1 good Linebacker

If any of our division rivals started the season with this current unit, we would all be saying they have a porous defense

Our rival teams' coaches don't have motivational T-shirts that scored over 90% in peer-based marketing surveys.

endersdragon

Reaction score
To go along with what other people said about our takeaway situation last year (and also our sack situation). Takeaways happen when you force people to throw it on you. To make them air it out, when you know they are going to air it out. Two years ago this happened all the time... and we got some takeaways out of it... last year we rarely had a lead... and never a big lead. Thus teams didn't care if they went 3 and out on us... we couldn't do anything is response. I don't think it's a coincidence that we only saw 506 passes last year (31st in the league). If anything our defense is better it was in 2014 last year (adding Jones and Hardy alone make that true) but did worse... why... the offense. How many games did our defense play admirably through at least a good part of the game but just wore out due to lack of offense (Pats and Seahawks games come immediately to mind). Well that's just my $0.02

endersdragon

Reaction score
Well, yeah. The defense was terrible last year, and we have done nothing in the off season to improve it. Or did I miss something?

We brought in Thorton 1 of the leagues top 1 techs, moved Jones over to his natural position, are getting back our best CB, bringing in a talented but often injured LB in Durant (probably), drafted several talented d-linemen, and we brought back an offense that won't just be a liability... umm am I forgetting anything? You can argue we didn't do enough, but to say we didn't do anything seems ridiculous.

Hoov

Reaction score
I expect the secondary to be superior to last year:

Scandrick > no Scandrick
B. Jones year 2 >> JJ Wilcox
Mo last year > Mo any previous year

I agree. the problems are in the front 7 for this defense. Secondary I think is better than what many teams have.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, yeah. The defense was terrible last year, and we have done nothing in the off season to improve it. Or did I miss something?
Yes you missed a lot. Better go check out the current roster. Here is a hint, Hayden isn't starting and isn't on the roster and Wilcox isn't starting, OScan is back, Crawford is healthy...........

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Defense blew games last year too. They will be poor again this year. Poor pass rush, one good LB, poor secondary. Last year no one had to challenge our defense because our QBs stunk. But when they needed to score they did every time.

That was usually in the 4th when the defense fatigued due to the inept offense and their inability to sustain drives

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

they were ranked 16th in points and yards objectively. Seeing that people around here act like 8-8 is the end of the world your disposition is typical I guess.

coogrfan

Reaction score
We brought in Thorton 1 of the leagues top 1 techs, moved Jones over to his natural position, are getting back our best CB, bringing in a talented but often injured LB in Durant (probably), drafted several talented d-linemen, and we brought back an offense that won't just be a liability... umm am I forgetting anything? You can argue we didn't do enough, but to say we didn't do anything seems ridiculous.

Fair enough.

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
Clearly you didn't read one word of the article.

Didn't need to..I know BS when I smell it, the writer is clearly throwing the usual crap against
the wall to see what sticks and preaching it as gospel truth. Meanwhile, we have rookies who
are uncertain..a defense from last year that is mortally wounded by suspensions and neglect
leaving just Romo to try and piece it all together

did I leave anything out?

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
As a "fan" I tend to know more about my team than some pencil pushing desk jockey
who spews his opinion across a page, to have sheeple drooling off every word that
he speaks..so NO I am not interested in what is his 'opinion' is until I see otherwise
on the field then I will be convinced

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I'm not disputing the assertion, but I don't think total defense is the best way to prove it.

JDSmith

Reaction score
As a "fan" I tend to know more about my team than some pencil pushing desk jockey
who spews his opinion across a page, to have sheeple drooling off every word that
he speaks..so NO I am not interested in what is his 'opinion' is until I see otherwise
on the field then I will be convinced

I have to assume that in your mind the 'sheeple' are any fans who agree with the article. Who else do you perceive as drooling over his opinion? And of course the article is from blogging the boys which, unless I'm mistaken, is a fan driven blog - which means the person in question might just know as much as you. As might the people who agree with the article - the so called sheeple... nevermind.

I was going to attempt an adult discourse, but the more I read your post the more convinced I am that you're just a ******. The profanity filter will undoubtedly clean that word up, but most of the profane words will fit just fine in that sentence, so feel free to choose the most insulting one.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
When your offense struggles to score even one TD in a game, trying to rate the defense is foolish. Our defensive ranking last season means absolutely nothing because all the average or below average teams we should defeat played it safe on offense to make sure they didn't give away a win.

Score 24 points per game, and you'll see an entirely different opponent on offense than the one you see when you score 10 points.

Califan007

Reaction score
This Defense sucks

1 good Linebacker

I need to ask: I keep reading articles about the Cowboys defense and a lot of them end up saying "The Cowboys will be without their two best pass rushers for the first 4 games"...

Is Randy Gregory really one of the Cowboys' two best pass rushers?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I need to ask: I keep reading articles about the Cowboys defense and a lot of them end up saying "The Cowboys will be without their two best pass rushers for the first 4 games"...

Is Randy Gregory really one of the Cowboys' two best pass rushers?
Yes, easily.