You Will Never Draft The Next Patrick Mahomes If You Handcuff Yourself To Alex Smith

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The rams traded for an established vet. That is the Polar opposite of what the OP was stating. That was AFTER they gave up on the guy they drafted #1 overall who was supposed to be their Mahomes...lol
Think about what you are saying.
The Rams gave up the farm to draft Goff 1st overall. They reached the SB on the back of a stellar running game and defense, then cut bait on the guy they gave up the farm for, and gave up another farm to get another QB and then won another SB.

The Eagles gave up the farm to move up and draft Wentz, then in a short time sent him packing, and we'll be watching them in the SB again.

The point of the OP is if you stick with the comfort of familiarity you get what you deserve. Both the Rams and the Eagles, as well as the Chiefs, threw caution to the wind and went for it.

They did exactly what MC is suggesting should be done. Churn and burn, whether through the draft, trade or free agency has nothing to do with the point.

Last edited:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
By that measurement you’d be going through a lot of QB’s trying to find the next Mahomes though
You don’t need a HOF QB to win a SB
You need a good QB and a great team
The 49ers show you can win without an elite QB if you build a really good roster
They didn’t win yesterday but they got their with their 3rd string QB and a really good team around him
The only way to win without a great QB is to build a super dominant defense. Those happen once a decade or so. Probably better odds to hit on a QB jackpot.

conner01

Reaction score
I see many fans here simply satisfied with making the playoffs and winning a few regular season games.

The Chiefs made the playoffs the year they traded up to draft Mahomes and the rest is history.

We all know that if the situations would have been reversed we'd have fans here saying things like "Alex Smith's don't just grow on trees! We made the playoffs! You just need to get him help at WR and OL. If we do that we're good!"

It's impossible to know if you're getting the next Mahomes or the next Manziel, but you're never going to know unless you actually try.

The Cowboys FO biggest issue is handcuffing itself to mediocrity and becoming comfortable in it. That's not just with the QB position either. However, the QB position needs to be taken seriously. We've not taken a QB in the 1st round since Aikman. I'd much rather us try on the unknown talent then handcuff ourselves to mediocrity.
Today if you were GM what would be your plan?
I see two options
Build around Dak or blow it up to get a QB and start rebuilding. Trade Micah, Diggs and lamb to get the ammo and rebuild
I’d love to see another option

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
And let’s be honest…they really can’t move on from him right now anyway. They should always look to draft a guy you never know you may hit again. But Mahomes is once in a generation. If you are searching for that you will find yourself looking like the Jets.
Yeah Mahomes is in his own tier by himself really. He's on another level to the point where I don't even think Josh Allen can fit into his tier, as Allen is a tier below Mahomes even. So if the Cowboys do eventually draft a QB, it's more realistic to hope he can be in the tier of Burrow, Allen or Lawrence rather than Mahomes, who has already had a HOF career.

Ken

Reaction score
Think about what you are saying.
The Rams gave up the farm to draft Goff 1st overall. They won a SB on the back of a stellar running game and defense, then cut bait on the guy they gave up the farm for, and gave up another farm to get another QB and then won another SB.

The Eagles gave up the farm to move up and draft Wentz, then in a short time sent him packing, and we'll be watching them in the SB again.

The point of the OP is if you stick with the comfort of familiarity you get what you deserve. Both the Rams and the Eagles, as well as the Chiefs, threw caution to the wind and went for it.

They did exactly what MC is suggesting should be done. Churn and burn, whether through the draft, trade or free agency has nothing to do with the point.
*Rams lost the super bowl with Goff.

Yes, the premise is sort of the same but opposite of what this post is about. There are threads where this example fits much better.

Ken

Reaction score
The only way to win without a great QB is to build a super dominant defense. Those happen once a decade or so. Probably better odds to hit on a QB jackpot.
We are not far away from having that type of defense...especially if we go all in.

starfan1

Reaction score
Show me the evidence.

Until you can come up with that crucial piece of substance to make your argument compelling... I'm content that the risk is far smaller to assume that the current QB will regress to the mean in terms of his INT%, and that many QBs would have higher INT% if you give them receivers who as a group combined to have piss-poor separation stats.

Get rid of those INTs and play like he's played before, and the results of this season are almost irrefutably different.

You're exhausted. I get it. We all are.

But yeah, your idea of a remedy is reckless.
Its ABD at this point anybody but dak.I mean its not easy to do whats being suggested.

a google search can show how many have failed

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Today if you were GM what would be your plan?
I see two options
Build around Dak or blow it up to get a QB and start rebuilding. Trade Micah, Diggs and lamb to get the ammo and rebuild
I’d love to see another option
or spend a little more money, continue to build and draft a QB. why can't you do both?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
The best chance we had to get a top notch quarterback prospect ironically was 2016. The Cowboys refused to trade up two spots to get Goff or Wentz. Should have the Cowboys made that gamble?
I can recall all of the upset Cowboys fans who blasted the front office for not giving up a ton of compensation to go and get Wentz. This shows how difficult it is to find the next great QB through drafting, as even the ones coming in with high expectations don't always pan out.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Im not sure dak is more talented smith was drafted #1 for a reason. There were knocks on Dak all along thus why he is a 4th rounder. I think expecting dak to turn out to be aaron ,Rogers or Patrick mahomes is silly. The cowboys have put themselves in a spot where they need to increase the talent pool on the team

Last season they went backwards unfortunately
I'm not sure why Alex was drafted that high. He was a good qb with good mental processing and made good decisions. He was also accurate. But his arm strength was severely lacking. He could barely throw any routes above 30 yd. Play book was severely restricted due to his very weak arm.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Hurts was not a great QB yesterday. They Eagles won because of the team around him. With that said, do we beat San Fran if Dak doesn’t turn the ball over?

We can win with Dak, but he would have to get better at not throwing interceptions, and I’m not sure he can.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I can recall all of the upset Cowboys fans who blasted the front office for not giving up a ton of compensation to go and get Wentz. This shows how difficult it is to find the next great QB through drafting, as even the ones coming in with high expectations don't always pan out.
btw, I was one of those fans. I liked Wentz. I thought he was better than Goff and the price wasn't going to be too high to go get him. but it didn't happen. glad it didn't.

the fact is that Eagles did. they moved on and rebuilt, not just through draft, but FA. coaching. Hurts isn't elite, but he is in the right system, with the right team. best OL, great defense, top 3 WR group, top 5 TE. great running game and good coaching. put hurts in Dallas and you get the same result as we got with Dak. and the hate would be towards Hurts.

starfan1

Reaction score
I'm not sure why Alex was drafted that high. He was a good qb with good mental processing and made good decisions. He was also accurate. But his arm strength was severely lacking. He could barely throw any routes above 30 yd. Play book was severely restricted due to his very weak arm.
I think injuries played a role in alex smiths declines in arm strength. Im sure if KC had to do it all over theyd take rodgers it wasnt not the best class to be taking a QB

8FOR!3

Reaction score
There's something to be said for the logic.

And yet.

If it was so easy, everyone would do it.

Assessing new QBs available in the draft is tricky, at the risk of stating the obvious. Not sure even KC realized what they were getting. Mahomes wasn't even Mahomes in his rookie year.

"You're never going to know unless you try" is kinda reckless. Hope is not a strategy. Can't go there with you.

No other way to say it, Dak had a good year in every other way but INTs... and you have to make a judgment call whether the statistical outlier is that, or if you're expecting him to continue like that instead of being the 100+ INT% guy he's been almost every other season.

I like the odds that this season is an outlier. In fact, I look at our receivers' separation as the bigger issue... so many INTs were errors on the receiving side, though yes the blockheaded ones on the QB side stand out.
This is well said. I at least appreciate the fact that not every Cowboys fan feels the need to be on either the Dak sucks or Dak can do no wrong spectrum.

But like you and others have said, there's only one Patrick Mahomes. And he's a generational talent. There's a few other guys along the way I'd take over Dak but not a ton. If a Mahomes/Josh Allen like talent is on the board and you have the means to trade up, I'd absolutely be OK with it. But I'm not sure that happens very often. Any QBs last year taken that you'd want over Dak? Not me, even with Purdy's success. The year before that you could have traded up for Lance or Fields but I don't think either one of those guys are can't miss prospects. Would love Trevor Lawrence, but I doubt Jacksonville was willing to trade the #1 pick with a prospect like Trevor.

Also while Alex Smith was always solid and had some good seasons, statistically he never ran a high powered offense like Dak has proven capable of. 166 TDs compared to 199 in nearly half the career games. So I'm not sure it's a completely fair comparison.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
*Rams lost the super bowl with Goff.

Yes, the premise is sort of the same but opposite of what this post is about. There are threads where this example fits much better.
Yes, then they ditched the #1 overall pick for which they gave up a ton of to acquire.

Help me out. What is this thread about, in your opinion?

Ken

Reaction score
It is about finding the next Mahomes in the draft.

It is in the title of the thread...."You will never DRAFT the next Pat Mahomes..."

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Very difficult. Mountain does lots of trolling but I think he just wants the Cowboys to take a risk. The Joneses seem to be happy that they lucked into Romo/Dak but it’s time to go after an elite prospect to get us over the top.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
That's the problem.

What in the world has Dak done that makes you say you'd only move on from him if we're 100% certain of an improvement? What has Dak done that makes you not even want to take chances?

You'd be saying "I only want to move on from Alex Smith if we're 100% sure a replacement would be better also", right?

The truth is there isn't 100% certainty in anything, but you're never going to get better if you don't even try.

You, my friend, have become conformable in the mediocrity.

I’m not comfortable in mediocrity at all….I respect and know how hard it is to replace average to good quarterbacks. Maybe your a baby but I remember the vinny t, drew Henson, Quincy years and Im smart enough to look around the league and see teams stuck in no man’s land trying to replace the qb year after year after year while the talent they have already leaves or ages out.

Right now the franchise is actually in a better spot than they’ve been in like 15 years. Yes, that’s a sign of how low the standard has dropped but it’s the truth. Back to back postseasons and 12 win seasons. I also value Troy aikman, bill parcells, Jimmy Johnson’s opinions over mountaineercowboy on cowboys zone and they all acknowledge he’s not elite but good enough to win with.

Furthermore, it’s silly because It doesn’t matter if i said “hell yes let’s move on” because we aren’t going to. It’s like yelling at the sky to turn green- I’d rather find ways to develop a roster with the flaws that dak has than bang the table day by day screaming for something that literally never will happen at least now.

You grossly underestimate how hard it is to draft quarterbacks. It’s a total crapshoot but again it’s not happening so you can cry moan complain and hell maybe even make sense but you aren’t gonna be happy with what the franchise decides to do.. Dak is staying

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I’m not comfortable in mediocrity at all….I respect and know how hard it is to replace average to good quarterbacks. Maybe your a baby but I remember the vinny t, drew Henson, Quincy years and Im smart enough to look around the league and see teams stuck in no man’s land trying to replace the qb year after year after year while the talent they have already leaves or ages out.

Right now the franchise is actually in a better spot than they’ve been in like 15 years. Yes, that’s a sign of how low the standard has dropped but it’s the truth. Back to back postseasons and 12 win seasons. I also value Troy aikman, bill parcells, Jimmy Johnson’s opinions over mountaineercowboy on cowboys zone and they all acknowledge he’s not elite but good enough to win with.

Furthermore, it’s silly because It doesn’t matter if i said “hell yes let’s move on” because we aren’t going to. It’s like yelling at the sky to turn green- I’d rather find ways to develop a roster with the flaws that dak has than bang the table day by day screaming for something that literally never will happen at least now.

You grossly underestimate how hard it is to draft quarterbacks. It’s a total crapshoot but again it’s not happening so you can cry moan complain and hell maybe even make sense but you aren’t gonna be happy with what the franchise decides to do.. Dak is staying
I hate to tell you this, but we're still in the Vinny T, Drew Henson, and Quincy QB purgatory years.

We're just not changing QBs as much.