You Will Never Draft The Next Patrick Mahomes If You Handcuff Yourself To Alex Smith

Ken

Reaction score
Which matters why? Dak will be 30 this year (not exactly young) and doesn't have a fraction of the resume these guys did....

Montana's last full year starting was 14-1 and an NFC title game loss

Favres last year in GB, 13-3 and an NFC title game appearance

Two HOF QBs who went a combined 27-4 and finished 1 game away from the Super Bowl in their last full seasons were sent packing.

And we think it's "too risky" to part ways with Dak?
Good points but Salary Cap makes these decisions way harder.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Reid...lol... he is such a Mastermind that in his entire coaching career he reached 1 super bowl prior to Mahomes arriving. Mahomes arrived and 5 straight AFC title games and 3 super bowls in 5 years.

If Mahomes was with the Dolphins, Reid would have been in zero Super Bowls. Did you watch Mahomes out there on 1 leg taking his team to the Super Bowl? Had zip to do with his coaches.
Did you miss Andy Reid going to a SB with McNabb with James Trash and Stinkston as his receivers.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Reid went to a SB with the Eagles and what 5 NFCCG before Mahomes was even in college.

Just stop it.
yep, and Billy Boy went to 37 Super Bowls and as soon as his golden Boy went away, he sucks.
I never said reid isnt a good coach, but hed be just another guy in KC(which he was) if Mahomes wasnt there.

kskboys

Reaction score
No.

Looking for more examples of someone ditching a qb and drafting an Elite qb.
Let's see, there's 2 elite QB's in the game, and 2 that were.

Aaron: Ditched Favre and drafted Rodgers
Brady: Ditched Bledsoe and drafted Brady
Mahomes: Ditched Smith and drafted Mahomes
Burrow: Tanked for Burrow

3 out of 4. What were you asking?

phildadon86

Reaction score
yep, and Billy Boy went to 37 Super Bowls and as soon as his golden Boy went away, he sucks.
I never said reid isnt a good coach, but hed be just another guy in KC(which he was) if Mahomes wasnt there.
You’re discounting what he did with Donovan thiugh

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Good points but Salary Cap makes these decisions way harder.
I agree, the cap does present some problems but again, Philly managed Wentz's bloated contract and rebuilt incredibly quickly.

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of how they did it, and therein lies perhaps the bigger challenge. They have competent management, us, not so much....
I also acknowledge that there are no guarantees.
we could ditch Dak and not "get to the promised land".

Just at this point--I'm willing to take that risk as a fan because I am 100% convinced that we will not get to the promised land under the current situation at QB.
I understand others disagree, but for me personally the potential reward makes it worth it. I know what we have standing pat.

Politely, it's simply not good enough.

Ken

Reaction score
I agree, the cap does present some problems but again, Philly managed Wentz's bloated contract and rebuilt incredibly quickly.

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of how they did it, and therein lies perhaps the bigger challenge. They have competent management, us, not so much....
I also acknowledge that there are no guarantees.
we could ditch Dak and not "get to the promised land".

Just at this point--I'm willing to take that risk as a fan because I am 100% convinced that we will not get to the promised land under the current situation at QB.
I understand others disagree, but for me personally the potential reward makes it worth it. I know what we have standing pat.

Politely, it's simply not good enough.
That is where we disagree.

After going thru the Hutchinson, Carter, Wright, Leaf era...i am not in any hurry to return.

There is no guarantee, that is the issue. We have a qb that is, at worst, a top 10 qb. He literally showed 5 days before the buzzsaw that is the SF 49ers, that he can torch a playoff team. He did that with no running game and really limited weapons.

That doesn't work against the 49ers. The Eagles held the ball for 39 minutes, at home, and only had 260 yards. Sure they scored 31 but they slogged and slogged vs that D. 122 yards passing by the MVP.

We need to retool at WR, implement a proven offensive scheme, and add a wr or two and see where we are.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
That is where we disagree.

After going thru the Hutchinson, Carter, Wright, Leaf era...i am not in any hurry to return.

There is no guarantee, that is the issue. We have a qb that is, at worst, a top 10 qb. He literally showed 5 days before the buzzsaw that is the SF 49ers, that he can torch a playoff team. He did that with no running game and really limited weapons.

That doesn't work against the 49ers. The Eagles held the ball for 39 minutes, at home, and only had 260 yards. Sure they scored 31 but they slogged and slogged vs that D. 122 yards passing by the MVP.

We need to retool at WR, implement a proven offensive scheme, and add a wr or two and see where we are.
Yeah, going to have to politely disagree on that one
TB was a playoff team by virtue of being in a horrid division. They barely had a pulse by season's end.

2 of this last 3 games were horrible outings. Not just average. Horrible.
That SF buzzsaw didn't look all that great this past Sunday.

the litany of excuses for Dak is personally tiresome for me.
Moore stinks.
The WR's stink.
Everyone around him stinks.

I keep coming back to, there were guys open in SF. Heck, TY was furious he got missed on a wide open route up the seam. and instead people were complaining about Cee Dee because he didn't "properly" adjust to a ball throw behind him and short.

Dak doesn't see the field and process things with the level of efficiency demanded of a franchise QB

No change at OC, WR, or any other spot is going to fix that. I'd honestly rather be 6-10 for a season or two with some hope that we're headed in the right direction, than be what we are right now. I understand you disagree, and that's all good.
good discussion thanks Ken.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The Cowboys haven't drafted a 1st round QB since Aikman...also the last QB to take them deep in the playoffs. It's time to finally get back to drafting a top QB prospect. The Hutchinson, Henson, Quincy Carter failures were experiments...it's not like they were great prospects anyway. Hutchinson and Henson spent multiple years away from football to play baseball so by that point, they were already far removed from what they looked like in college. On top of that, those teams were peak Jerry GM garbage so there wasn't much to work with.

Ken

Reaction score
TB was a playoff team by virtue of being in a horrid division. They barely had a pulse by season's end.

Moore stinks.
The WR's stink.

I keep coming back to, there were guys open in SF. Heck, TY was furious he got missed on a wide open route up the seam. and instead people were complaining about Cee Dee because he didn't "properly" adjust to a ball throw behind him and short.

Dak doesn't see the field and process things with the level of efficiency demanded of a franchise QB

No change at OC, WR, or any other spot is going to fix that. I'd honestly rather be 6-10 for a season or two with some hope that we're headed in the right direction, than be what we are right now. I understand you disagree, and that's all good.
Ya we can agree to disagree.

Put Dak on Philly and they win it easily.

That should ne all you need to know about what we have to do.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You’re discounting what he did with Donovan thiugh
I didnt discount anything. When he had that 5 year run in philly. McNabb was a top 3 NFC qb. BY the way, as soon as McNabb started sucking as he got older, guess who else started sucking as a coach? Yep, big ol Andy Reid. So much so, he was fired.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Moore stinks.
The WR's stink.

Moore sucks so bad he was unemployed for all of 12 hours.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Chiefs wouldnt have went after Mahomes if Alex Smith wasnt an old man at that point.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I see many fans here simply satisfied with making the playoffs and winning a few regular season games.

The Chiefs made the playoffs the year they traded up to draft Mahomes and the rest is history.

We all know that if the situations would have been reversed we'd have fans here saying things like "Alex Smith's don't just grow on trees! We made the playoffs! You just need to get him help at WR and OL. If we do that we're good!"

It's impossible to know if you're getting the next Mahomes or the next Manziel, but you're never going to know unless you actually try.

The Cowboys FO biggest issue is handcuffing itself to mediocrity and becoming comfortable in it. That's not just with the QB position either. However, the QB position needs to be taken seriously. We've not taken a QB in the 1st round since Aikman. I'd much rather us try on the unknown talent then handcuff ourselves to mediocrity.
OMG. you are so obsessed. relentless.

ok genuis boy, tell us who the Mahomes is in this draft?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
OMG. you are so obsessed. relentless.

ok genuis boy, tell us who the Mahomes is in this draft?
This is the weakest argument you could possibly make for sticking with Dak, ya know?

Nobody knew Mahomes was going to be a GOAT when he was drafted. In fact, the Chiefs drafted him knowing he needed work and wouldn't pay his first season.

The point is that took the risk and it paid off.

Go on and keep hoping the Cowboys keep Dak because you don't want them to risk it to get better. That strategy has worked well the past quarter of a center, Dak fan.

rambo2

Reaction score
This is the weakest argument you could possibly make for sticking with Dak, ya know?

Nobody knew Mahomes was going to be a GOAT when he was drafted. In fact, the Chiefs drafted him knowing he needed work and wouldn't pay his first season.

The point is that took the risk and it paid off.

Go on and keep hoping the Cowboys keep Dak because you don't want them to risk it to get better. That strategy has worked well the past quarter of a center, Dak fan.
The Jets have taken the risk for 5 decades.