Youngest HC in NFL History vs Garrett

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Rank - Name - Year became a coach at any level - year they became HC
1. Lane Kiffin - 1997 - 2007 (10 years)
2. Raheem Morris - 1998 - 2009 (11 years)
3. Josh McDaniels - 1999 - 2009 (10 years)
4. Jon Gruden - 1986 - 1998 (12 years)
5. Mike Tomlin - 1995 - 2006 (11 years)
6. Eric Mangini - 1996 - 2006 (10 years)
7. Mike Shanahan - 1975 - 1988 (13 years)

There are some coaches that don't make a lot of sense in the pre super bowl or early super era, so I'm going from the 70s on.

The point is even the youngest most fast tracked head coaches all had at least a decade of coaching experience before becoming a head coach.

Jason Garrett? - 2005-2010 (5 years)

Garrett was a QB from 2005-2007, OC from 2007-2010, HC from 2010-Present

The guy is terribly inexperienced... He is a lot older than these guys were when they became head coaches, but all of them were coaching football before this guy every picked up a call sheet.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Remember both the Ravens and the Falcons wanted to hire Garrett the year before we hired him. He only had 4 years experiance when those 2 clubs where ready to pull the triger on him, as head coach.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
This is nothing new, I've said it repeatedly. Garrett's quick accession had much more to do with who he knew and the fact that he's a natural leader than any sort of actual coaching resume.

He's learning right along with the team, so it's going to be a work in progress.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
jgboys1;4218557 said:
Remember both the Ravens and the Falcons wanted to hire Garrett the year before we hired him. He only had 4 years experiance when those 2 clubs where ready to pull the triger on him, as head coach.

Someone else's mistakes don't negate our mistake...

How many teams passed on Tom Brady? We're they all right?

Having a coach learning with the team is a travesty... Romo, Ware, Witten... don't have time for a head coach to LEARN with the team...

1fisher

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4218537 said:

There are some coaches that don't make a lot of sense in the pre super bowl or early super era, so I'm going from the 70s on.

The point is even the youngest most fast tracked head coaches all had at least a decade of coaching experience before becoming a head coach.

The guy is terribly inexperienced... He is a lot older than these guys were when they became head coaches, but all of them were coaching football before this guy every picked up a call sheet.

You should forward this to Jerry..... maybe he'll make a change for you.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
1fisher;4218575 said:
You should forward this to Jerry..... maybe he'll make a change for you.

Love your sarcasm, you clearly missed my point.

My coaching experience? 0 years.

Clearly I'm not qualified either, and I know it.

That said you need to bring in qualified people. Why waste talent on a coach who doesn't have the experience or knowledge?

1fisher

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4218579 said:
Love your sarcasm, you clearly missed my point.

My coaching experience? 0 years.

Clearly I'm not qualified either, and I know it.

That said you need to bring in qualified people. Why waste talent on a coach who doesn't have the experience or knowledge?

I wasn't referring to you..... and I didn't miss your point... Who do YOU want coaching this team.... obviously Garrett doesn't have enough experience to satisfy you. ;)

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Gotta consider Mike Tomlin if you want to go this route. BUT, here is the big difference. The Steelers are a solid organization from top down...so an inexperienced head coach can come in and thrive. This organization? In just the time Jason had been here...I believed we signed Leonard Davis to the largest signing bonus in Cowboy history at the time. Traded a 1st, 3rd and 6th for Roy Williams. Made Hudson Houck the highest paid OL coach in the history of the NFL. Made Jason Garrett the highest paid OC in the history of the NFL. Hired a personal bodyguard and managed the personal checkbook for Pac Man Jones. Became the first team to lose a divisional home playoff game with homefield advantadge throughout the playoffs since the NFL has gone to the new format. Did I mention Hard Knocks. Did I mention the trip to Cabo over a bye week. I brought all that up to say this, Garrett did not step into just ANY job. It gets no bigger, than coaching and playing football in Dallas. Go read why Parcells felt he HAD to take this job. I think he made reference to this being the big stage. References to Sinatra etc...

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
John Madden was a linebackers coach for the Raiders for two years before taking the head coaching job with the Raiders.

He told Al Davis: "Either you can coach or you can't. You don't need to wait until a guy is 50 to find out."

It's the same with Garrett. Either he can or he can't. Whatever. The results on the field haven't changed no matter who we had as head coach, so let's just let Garrett stay instead of treating Landry's old job as a turnstile.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
bbailey423;4218598 said:
Gotta consider Mike Tomlin if you want to go this route. BUT, here is the big difference. The Steelers are a solid organization from top down...so an inexperienced head coach can come in and thrive. This organization? In just the time Jason had been here...I believed we signed Leonard Davis to the largest signing bonus in Cowboy history at the time. Traded a 1st, 3rd and 6th for Roy Williams. Made Hudson Houck the highest paid OL coach in the history of the NFL. Made Jason Garrett the highest paid OC in the history of the NFL. Hired a personal bodyguard and managed the personal checkbook for Pac Man Jones. Became the first team to lose a divisional home playoff game with homefield advantadge throughout the playoffs since the NFL has gone to the new format. Did I mention Hard Knocks. Did I mention the trip to Cabo over a bye week. I brought all that up to say this, Garrett did not step into just ANY job. It gets no bigger, than coaching and playing football in Dallas. Go read why Parcells felt he HAD to take this job. I think he made reference to this being the big stage. References to Sinatra etc...

The point I'm trying to make is that you get experienced coaches who have proven they can do things. Garrett hasn't proven anything.

He has been coaching since 2005. He hasn't held a single position for more than 4 years...

rcaldw

Reaction score
The Emperor;4218604 said:
John Madden was a linebackers coach for the Raiders for two years before taking the head coaching job with the Raiders.

He told Al Davis: "Either you can coach or you can't. You don't need to wait until a guy is 50 to find out."

It's the same with Garrett. Either he can or he can't. Whatever. The results on the field haven't changed no matter who we had as head coach, so let's just let Garrett stay instead of treating Landry's old job as a turnstile.

Good post, I agree.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
jgboys1;4218557 said:

:laugh1:

At your picture. Is that Jerry's or Wade's head on da baby?

rangers71

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4218537 said:

Great and four of those guys you named have never done squat. What's your point?

rcaldw

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4218605 said:
The point I'm trying to make is that you get experienced coaches who have proven they can do things. Garrett hasn't proven anything.

He has been coaching since 2005. He hasn't held a single position for more than 4 years...

Here is my question for you. Ok, they hired the guy you thought they shouldn't. Do you think you ought to be jumping up and down about it after SEVEN GAMES???? Really? I mean ya think, he might just get to finish his first season?

Second question.... do you think Jerry is going to make a change before 3 seasons? Because I don't. So, either you can get on board as a Cowboys fan and support your head coach, along with the rest of the team, or you can be miserable for 3 seasons.

Because I promise you this. Whenever ANY fan gets fixated on the failure of a coach or player, they have an enormously hard time admitting that they are succeeding, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE.

Which is to say, if you guys don't let this go for a while, you will be miserable even when we start winning.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
bbailey423;4218598 said:

The 1995 Kansas City Chiefs, the 1996 Denver Stancos, the 1997 Kansas City Chiefs, 2000 Tennessee Titans, 2005 Indianapolis Colts, and 2006 San Diego Chargers all say hello.

And the last two teams to do Hard Knocks have gone to the playoffs.

But please -- don't let that get in the way of a good agenda.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

Madden didn't win a super bowl until 7 years later...

rcaldw

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4218629 said:
Madden didn't win a super bowl until 7 years later...

But he did. He was a Super Bowl winner with the same team. So what does that say?

1fisher

Reaction score
rcaldw;4218620 said:
Here is my question for you. Ok, they hired the guy you thought they shouldn't. Do you think you ought to be jumping up and down about it after SEVEN GAMES???? Really? I mean ya think, he might just get to finish his first season?

Second question.... do you think Jerry is going to make a change before 3 seasons? Because I don't. So, either you can get on board as a Cowboys fan and support your head coach, along with the rest of the team, or you can be miserable for 3 seasons.

Because I promise you this. Whenever ANY fan gets fixated on the failure of a coach or player, they have an enormously hard time admitting that they are succeeding, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE.

Which is to say, if you guys don't let this go for a while, you will be miserable even when we start winning.

This place is jam packed with that type mentality..... :eek::

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

Garrett's job isn't even remotely in danger. Pointing out his lack of experience doesn't change that fact, it also doesn't make it any less true.