Youngest HC in NFL History vs Garrett

JoeCorrado

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4218705 said:
Even Madden was a coach at some small college for several years before he joined the Raiders. I know at SD State (IIRC) he coached under legend Don Coryell, too.

And someone earlier suggested that years in the league should somehow count toward coaching experience. No, it shouldn't. Carrying a clipboard as a third QB isn't anything like teaching and leading a bunch of highly-paid grown men.

So coaching at any level lends experience as an NFL HC, like 18-21 year olds respond as a 25-30 year old millionaire. Bet that. Talking and communicating are two separate things.

And then you state that being a player in the NFL would in no way allow one to learn and experience first hand many unique interactions both on and off the field that would go directly towards being a better HC candidate. If you believe leadership is only "learned" as a coach, you are wrong. Ditto for developing a BS detector. Ditto for grasping the less obvious distractions that players face daily. I could go on.

Bottom line, at the NFL level you don't simply lead... the players choose who they believe in and follow. Any player will tell you that and as was hinted at this week visa-vi Ryan, players play, coaches coach. And that includes all things in between.

With guys like Garrett you get experience in both and it does matter.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Its not beyond the realm of doubt for boy wonder to fail. Bill Belichick failed at his first HC stint, and that was after nearly 20 years as a coach in the nfl, coaching all 3 phases of the game at various points.

Boy wonder did such an awesome job coaching up Harrington and Cleo Lemon under Nick Saban(lolol) that he got put on the fast track to this job. No possible way it will ever blow up in Jerrys face, none.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
TheCount;4218559 said:
This is nothing new, I've said it repeatedly. Garrett's quick accession had much more to do with who he knew and the fact that he's a natural leader than any sort of actual coaching resume.

He's learning right along with the team, so it's going to be a work in progress.

And sense he has so much on his plate he needs to give up game planning and preparing players. Plus he sucks at it.

JoeCorrado

Reaction score
CATCH17;4218886 said:
And sense he has so much on his plate he needs to give up game planning and preparing players. Plus he sucks at it.

I really believe that he does have too much on his plate. He can be HC / OC but he can't be at his best unless he is one or the other. We should have a HC be full time and an OC dedicated to that as well.

Our offense is struggling too much.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
TheCount;4218559 said:
This is nothing new, I've said it repeatedly. Garrett's quick accession had much more to do with who he knew and the fact that he's a natural leader than any sort of actual coaching resume.

He's learning right along with the team, so it's going to be a work in progress.

Natural leadership is paramount, in my opinion.

But he needs some help as a coordinator.