Youngest HC in NFL History vs Garrett

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The Emperor;4218624 said:
The 1995 Kansas City Chiefs, the 1996 Denver Stancos, the 1997 Kansas City Chiefs, 2000 Tennessee Titans, 2005 Indianapolis Colts, and 2006 San Diego Chargers all say hello.

And the last two teams to do Hard Knocks have gone to the playoffs.

But please -- don't let that get in the way of a good agenda.
Funny you point out ONE thing I said. My point, since you need your food cut in small pieces is the following: young coaches in the RIGHT situation CAN flourish. Like Mike Tomlin. But the stability of that organization allows one to hit the ground running more than Dallas. According to the BELOVED Jimmy Johnson, he would have NEVER done Hard Knocks in the situation Dallas was in. Training camps all across the country like a traveling circus. That is what Dallas is...an entertainment machine. And that is not conducive to a first time head coach who also is the architect of this offense. But you keep thinking that the envionment and culture in Dallas is/was not holding this team back. I believe the one guy who has been here for ALL of it, Bradie James...has mentioned that Dallas plays with a sense of entitlement. I wonder where that comes from?

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
bbailey423;4218644 said:
Funny you point out ONE thing I said. My point, since you need your food cut in small pieces is the following: young coaches in the RIGHT situation CAN flourish. Like Mike Tomlin. But the stability of that organization allows one to hit the ground running more than Dallas. According to the BELOVED Jimmy Johnson, he would have NEVER done Hard Knocks in the situation Dallas was in. Training camps all across the country like a traveling circus. That is what Dallas is...an entertainment machine. And that is not conducive to a first time head coach who also is the architect of this offense. But you keep thinking that the envionment and culture in Dallas is/was not holding this team back. I believe the one guy who has been here for ALL of it, Bradie James...has mentioned that Dallas plays with a sense of entitlement. I wonder where that comes from?

I pointed out TWO THINGS that you said, and I think the fact you claimed this franchise was the first to blow homefield advantage under the 1990 playoff format is the most egregious. It's interesting you went after the colored part.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The Emperor;4218624 said:
The 1995 Kansas City Chiefs, the 1996 Denver Stancos, the 1997 Kansas City Chiefs, 2000 Tennessee Titans, 2005 Indianapolis Colts, and 2006 San Diego Chargers all say hello.

And the last two teams to do Hard Knocks have gone to the playoffs.

But please -- don't let that get in the way of a good agenda.

lol.

Ouch.

rcaldw

Reaction score
bbailey423;4218644 said:

I want to pick up on that entitlement thread. I think we do suffer from that, and I think Garrett has recognized it and is addressing it. He wants us to BOTH appreciate our history (which I think we needed a fresh dose of), and connect with it, and yet realize that THIS GENERATION of Cowboys have to make their own history. He wants them to connect to the past, only to learn some lessons about now and the future. That is a very good approach to take in my opinion.

JoeCorrado

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4218537 said:
Rank - Name - Year became a coach at any level - year they became HC
1. Lane Kiffin - 1997 - 2007 (10 years)
2. Raheem Morris - 1998 - 2009 (11 years)
3. Josh McDaniels - 1999 - 2009 (10 years)
4. Jon Gruden - 1986 - 1998 (12 years)
5. Mike Tomlin - 1995 - 2006 (11 years)
6. Eric Mangini - 1996 - 2006 (10 years)
7. Mike Shanahan - 1975 - 1988 (13 years)

There are some coaches that don't make a lot of sense in the pre super bowl or early super era, so I'm going from the 70s on.

The point is even the youngest most fast tracked head coaches all had at least a decade of coaching experience before becoming a head coach.

Jason Garrett? - 2005-2010 (5 years)

Garrett was a QB from 2005-2007, OC from 2007-2010, HC from 2010-Present

The guy is terribly inexperienced... He is a lot older than these guys were when they became head coaches, but all of them were coaching football before this guy every picked up a call sheet.

To be fair you should show football experience instead of assuming experience playing in the NFL is worthless when going into coaching.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
rcaldw;4218632 said:
But he did. He was a Super Bowl winner with the same team. So what does that say?

Romo, Witten, and Ware don't have 7 years... if that's what it would take for this guy to be ready as a HC, he isn't the right guy.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
bbailey423;4218644 said:

lol.

Man you're struggling with that reading thing again aren't you? He pointed out 2 things, the worst of which was your playoff comment and not the Hard Knocks comment, and then went on to put words into his mouth about what he thinks about the enviroment and culture in Dallas.

he didn't make any such claims, or comments, about what that stuff does, or doesn't, do in Dallas. All he did was point out where two things you're using to hold up your 'point' were off base (and in the case of the playoff comment completely wrong) and you just went to making things up about what was posted.

Now where did I read today where someone posted they wished fans on this board would actually read the posts and that their IQ's were higher....

The Emperor;4218653 said:
I pointed out TWO THINGS that you said, and I think the fact you claimed this franchise was the first to blow homefield advantage under the 1990 playoff format is the most egregious. It's interesting you went after the colored part.

It's not really interesting it's pretty much par for the course.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4218659 said:
Romo, Witten, and Ware don't have 7 years... if that's what it would take for this guy to be ready as a HC, he isn't the right guy.

Honestly Galian, I don't know what you guys are thinking sometimes. I really don't. Do you think that it would be better to go for some short term scheme based on 3 positions? What if you don't win it all within 3 years? What then?

I would MUCH rather we put something in place that could last us 10 years or more.

In my opinion one of the things that keeps us ALL frustrated is that it has been like we are grasping at straws year after year.

I think Garrett has a plan, I think it is a long term plan, I think it is a sound plan, and I am 100% happy that we are going THAT route, than continuing to operate in panic and desperation mode.

IN ADDITION. What says GARRETT can't get it done? I think he can.

After all, teams don't start a year 0-2 and win the Super Bowl do they? Never been done before.... Oh, I forgot... until we did it in 1993.

And teams don't win the Super Bowl with a rushing champion do they? Never been done before.... Oh, I forgot... until we did it with Emmitt.

And don't think I'm comparing this situation with the 90's because that is not my point. My point is that NEW THINGS happen in the NFL all the time.

Stop complaining and start enjoying your football team.

cbow44

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4218537 said:
Rank - Name - Year became a coach at any level - year they became HC
1. Lane Kiffin - 1997 - 2007 (10 years)
2. Raheem Morris - 1998 - 2009 (11 years)
3. Josh McDaniels - 1999 - 2009 (10 years)
4. Jon Gruden - 1986 - 1998 (12 years)
5. Mike Tomlin - 1995 - 2006 (11 years)
6. Eric Mangini - 1996 - 2006 (10 years)
7. Mike Shanahan - 1975 - 1988 (13 years)

There are some coaches that don't make a lot of sense in the pre super bowl or early super era, so I'm going from the 70s on.

The point is even the youngest most fast tracked head coaches all had at least a decade of coaching experience before becoming a head coach.

Jason Garrett? - 2005-2010 (5 years)

Garrett was a QB from 2005-2007, OC from 2007-2010, HC from 2010-Present

The guy is terribly inexperienced... He is a lot older than these guys were when they became head coaches, but all of them were coaching football before this guy every picked up a call sheet.

If memory serves Tom Landry didnt have much coaching experience either. And people that didnt understand football turned on him very quickly (hey just like you, how about that ). But the team stuck with him and as they say, the rest is history

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
Galian Beast;4218659 said:

Daryle LaMonica and George Blanda were Madden's quarterbacks in his early years. Stabler came on later.

Don't think Madden had a young, fresh team. There were some Raiders legends who didn't make it all the way to 1976.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The Cowboys were eliminated by the (eventual Super Bowl Champion) Giants in the divisional round of the playoffs, the first NFC No. 1 seed to do so since the 1990 playoff re-alignment.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
cbow44;4218672 said:
If memory serves Tom Landry didnt have much coaching experience either. And people that didnt understand football turned on him very quickly (hey just like you, how about that ). But the team stuck with him and as they say, the rest is history

To be fair, Tom Landry was the Giants' defensive coordinator for six seasons and those teams played in three NFL championship games. So it's not like he was a complete and total rube either. I think Madden is the most apropos example.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
bbailey423;4218674 said:
The Cowboys were eliminated by the (eventual Super Bowl Champion) Giants in the divisional round of the playoffs, the first NFC No. 1 seed to do so since the 1990 playoff re-alignment.

bbailey423;4218598 said:
Gotta consider Mike Tomlin if you want to go this route. BUT, here is the big difference. The Steelers are a solid organization from top down...so an inexperienced head coach can come in and thrive. This organization? In just the time Jason had been here...I believed we signed Leonard Davis to the largest signing bonus in Cowboy history at the time. Traded a 1st, 3rd and 6th for Roy Williams. Made Hudson Houck the highest paid OL coach in the history of the NFL. Made Jason Garrett the highest paid OC in the history of the NFL. Hired a personal bodyguard and managed the personal checkbook for Pac Man Jones. Became the first team to lose a divisional home playoff game with homefield advantadge throughout the playoffs since the NFL has gone to the new format. Did I mention Hard Knocks. Did I mention the trip to Cabo over a bye week. I brought all that up to say this, Garrett did not step into just ANY job. It gets no bigger, than coaching and playing football in Dallas. Go read why Parcells felt he HAD to take this job. I think he made reference to this being the big stage. References to Sinatra etc...

basementcatsez128637373952904752.jpg

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
The Emperor;4218678 said:
To be fair, Tom Landry was the Giants' defensive coordinator for six seasons and those teams played in three NFL championship games. So it's not like he was a complete and total rube either. I think Madden is the most apropos example.

Don Shula would be another example.

Craig

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
bbailey423;4218674 said:

Now you'd be correct. First NFC team. Not the first team in the NFL, which is what you claimed.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
I think anyone can be a Head Coach if they match a few of the important criteria. Obviously you should know the game and its rules, but I feel what makes a good head coach boils down to management and being personable. Being a great communicator and being reliable as well as holding people accountable. Setting rules and keeping them. I think JG is a great candidate for any team. Now there can be plenty of questions about his coordinator position but as for a HC I think he does all the right things.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The Emperor;4218678 said:

Even Madden was a coach at some small college for several years before he joined the Raiders. I know at SD State (IIRC) he coached under legend Don Coryell, too.

And someone earlier suggested that years in the league should somehow count toward coaching experience. No, it shouldn't. Carrying a clipboard as a third QB isn't anything like teaching and leading a bunch of highly-paid grown men.

jgboys1

Reaction score
tyke1doe;4218612 said:
:laugh1:

At your picture. Is that Jerry's or Wade's head on da baby?

That is Jerry holding a baby Wade. I got a kick out of it myself when I saw it.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4218705 said:
Even Madden was a coach at some small college for several years before he joined the Raiders. I know at SD State (IIRC) he coached under legend Don Coryell, too.

And someone earlier suggested that years in the league should somehow count toward coaching experience. No, it shouldn't. Carrying a clipboard as a third QB isn't anything like teaching and leading a bunch of highly-paid grown men.

No one has criticized Garrett, though, on the leadership of highly-paid grown men. Everyone, almost to a man, has praised him for his command of the locker room and his ability to communicate to players. The criticism has been, usually, about his play calling. And obviously I think a lot of those complaints are short sighted and sophomoric. Fact is, we have OL issues, and I think they are going to get better.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jgboys1;4218557 said:
Remember both the Ravens and the Falcons wanted to hire Garrett the year before we hired him. He only had 4 years experiance when those 2 clubs where ready to pull the triger on him, as head coach.

Yeah, this argument would have more merit if the Cowboys were the only team that wanted him as their head coach.

It's a stretch anyway. I'll take Garrett's 5 years of operating as a player/coach than I would McDaniels' years during that time making sure Belichick didn't get tangled up on his headset wires.