Your All Time Overrated Pet Cats

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
This time of year is when “Pet Cat Disease” (or PCD) hits the strongest. You know the symptoms- Cowboys fans breaking into a cold sweat after watching a draft prospect’s overrated college highlight film, then falling in draft love with a mediocre pro prospect this team “has to have”. We were thrilled when they were drafted. We’ve all probably had at least 1 or 2 pet cats that turned out to be not that great.

Which leads me to ask: Who are the all time overrated Cowboys fans Pet Cats of the past? Here’s my short list:
  • Rico Gathers- a former basketball player drafted in the 6th round, projected as a TE. Gathers quickly became an OTA and preseason legend- especially against UFAs in preseason games. You know like a 175 lb safety from a directional mid-major school that would never make an NFL roster. I’ve never seen a more overrated player than Gathers, who stayed stashed on this roster for too long.
  • Beau Morgan- a former QB from Air Force who was being converted to RB in the Jimmy Johnson/Barry Switzer era. Morgan was an UFA who was essentially just a camp body who happened to lead the team in rushing in preseason. Which somehow convinced loads of fans that he was the real deal. Two straight preseasons Morgan led the team in rushing. And two straight Septembers, the Cowboys cut him, much to the pain of many Cowboys pet cat owners.
  • Alexander Wright- a former second round pick of the Cowboys in Jimmy’s second draft in 1990. Wright was drafted because of his 4.4 speed and nothing else. He was fast, but as the old sayings go, “He couldn’t catch a cold”, or “Couldn’t play dead in a western movie”. Fast doesn’t make you a football player. Wright’s best year as a Cowboy was his first, when he caught 11 passes. Was traded to the raiders in ‘92.
There are many more infamous overrated pet cats. Who’s on your list?
Has to be Crawford. Hands down.

Londonboy

Reaction score
My question is why do you refer to a favorite player as a pet cat? You might be a cat liver and that's fine but to use pet cat to describe a favorite college player that you want the Cowboys to draft makes no sense. I never heard of a favorite player referred to as a pet cat until you started using it.
Seriously?, I've been hearing that phrase since I was a kid (that's long ago and far away).

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My question is why do you refer to a favorite player as a pet cat? You might be a cat liver and that's fine but to use pet cat to describe a favorite college player that you want the Cowboys to draft makes no sense. I never heard of a favorite player referred to as a pet cat until you started using it.
I didn’t invent the term. It’s been around this forum for years.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Pet Cat has been a term used for a long time. Weird that you hadn't heard it.

Woody Dantzler is one that I thought was going to be a great gadget player. Orande Gadsden too.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Don't forget Caesar Rayford, George Selvie, Jeremy Mincey, and Phillip Tanner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bargain basement free agent pickups were overhyped? Selvie and Mincey were decent for what they were but I don't think anyone thought of them as more than stop gaps. Tanner did have some followers....I was one of them.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I didn’t invent the term. It’s been around this forum for years.

As I told kskboys, I've been following the NFL for 60 years and I've never heard that use other than here on this site. I've never heard or read that a national sportswriter or broadcaster use that. Right now I believe that this is just another one of those things that some here used it and then someone else used it and before you know it, it's known as some widely known thing except it's only know here. When I hear or read a national known person use it then I'll believe it's so well known and has been used for a long time.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Isaiah Stanback for me.

I was still somewhat of a kid when he got drafted. I just thought he looked like a cool dude with his dreads and face mask (like Michael Vick’s). I did see his highlights at UW and thought he was going to make the transition to WR.

THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY
I know this thread is about “overrated” pet cats, but here’s one that was every bit as good as I hoped but we let go.

Jimmy Smith. I was so bummed out that things didn’t turn out better for him with the Cowboys. Turns out we have up on him too early; dude had a borderline HOF career in Jacksonville:

862 receptions
12,287 yards
14.3 YPC
67 TDs

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Great example, lol. I remember hearing that he had All Pro talent. Except his hamstrings popped like cheap string every training camp.

I moved to Seattle in 2014, and I ended up working for a holistic pet retail company, where, upon learning I was a Cowboys fan, I was told about an ex-Cowboy who applied there recently...but the woman couldn't remember his name. After some asking around, it was confirmed that it was the great Matt Johnson. He didn't get the job.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

Yeah, I don’t get the use of pet cat. Pet Cat to me is an under the radar player most people are unfamiliar with or an unknown player who flashes in camp and I want to see more of.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders don’t count as pet cats to me.

Rico Gathers is a good example of a player who became a pet cat to many. Beasley is another. No one can call Sean Lee a pet cat.

Some people are using the term pet cat for a player with high expectations. It is incorrect. But sometimes the meanings of words morph into something else.

McClay referred to Robinson as his ‘pet cat’ last year. A player little known but could surprise. So keep an eye on him. Pet cats require an element of surprise from an unknown player.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t get the use of pet cat. Pet Cat to me is an under the radar player most people are unfamiliar with or an unknown player who flashes in camp and I want to see more of.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders don’t count as pet cats to me.

Rico Gathers is a good example of a player who became a pet cat to many. Beasley is another. No one can call Sean Lee a pet cat.

Some people are using the term pet cat for a player with high expectations. It is incorrect. But sometimes the meanings of words morph into something else.

McClay referred to Robinson as his ‘pet cat’ last year. A player little known but could surprise. So keep an eye on him. Pet cats require an element of surprise from an unknown player.

agree with most of that,

close for sure but not relatively unknowns but overhyped draft player by fans that will defend them until the very end..and very upset when they finally are released and say we will rue the day LOL

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
agree with most of that,

close for sure but not relatively unknowns but overhyped draft player by fans that will defend them until the very end..and very upset when they finally are released and say we will rue the day LOL

True, but everything Cowboys is overhyped, over discussed, and over defended. Comes with the territory for Cowboy fans. :)