Your All Time Overrated Pet Cats

Londonboy

Reaction score
I don't get why the term pet cat is used for any football player. It makes as much sense as saying pet turtle or pet rock. Why not call then your favorite fire hydrant or your flavor of slurpee.
As I already explained it's not Football specific and it's origins might even predate the sports existence, I 1st heard it over 40 years ago in relation to a Cricket player on a BBC commentary, perhaps it stems from the fact that of all pets, cats seem to be the least tame and the most able to surprise Us.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't get why the term pet cat is used for any football player. It makes as much sense as saying pet turtle or pet rock. Why not call then your favorite fire hydrant or your flavor of slurpee.
Same as any term that gets used and then catches on.

Don't beat around the bush.
Chip on his shoulder.
Call it a night.
Cut me some slack.
Cold feet.
Bite the bullet.
Get out of hand.
Missed the boat.
Let her off the hook.
Once in a blue moon.

Just idioms. You should look up what an idiom is and study some of them, and then you wouldn't have a problem w/ "pet cat".

kskboys

Reaction score
As I already explained it's not Football specific and it's origins might even predate the sports existence, I 1st heard it over 40 years ago in relation to a Cricket player on a BBC commentary, perhaps it stems from the fact that of all pets, cats seem to be the least tame and the most able to surprise Us.
Yup. And idioms are not meant to be taken literally.

Prolly has something to do w/ how people think their own pets are the greatest ever.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I was a big fan of the edge rusher out of OU who ran something like a 4.55.

It was maybe in the 2017 draft?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Most recent for me was Jon'Vea Johnson. He was getting great separation his rookie camp, but wasn't making the catches in the preseason games. I thought once the coaches worked with him on that, he would be a great find. However, he didn't make any steps forward last year and was cut in March.

I usually pull for our UDFAs, but I full-on adopted Johnson and actually promoted him as a pet cat and ended up getting bit for it. I don't know if he's my all-time overrated, but I'm usually more cautious about my expectations for players.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This time of year is when “Pet Cat Disease” (or PCD) hits the strongest. You know the symptoms- Cowboys fans breaking into a cold sweat after watching a draft prospect’s overrated college highlight film, then falling in draft love with a mediocre pro prospect this team “has to have”. We were thrilled when they were drafted. We’ve all probably had at least 1 or 2 pet cats that turned out to be not that great.

Which leads me to ask: Who are the all time overrated Cowboys fans Pet Cats of the past? Here’s my short list:
  • Rico Gathers- a former basketball player drafted in the 6th round, projected as a TE. Gathers quickly became an OTA and preseason legend- especially against UFAs in preseason games. You know like a 175 lb safety from a directional mid-major school that would never make an NFL roster. I’ve never seen a more overrated player than Gathers, who stayed stashed on this roster for too long.
  • Beau Morgan- a former QB from Air Force who was being converted to RB in the Jimmy Johnson/Barry Switzer era. Morgan was an UFA who was essentially just a camp body who happened to lead the team in rushing in preseason. Which somehow convinced loads of fans that he was the real deal. Two straight preseasons Morgan led the team in rushing. And two straight Septembers, the Cowboys cut him, much to the pain of many Cowboys pet cat owners.
  • Alexander Wright- a former second round pick of the Cowboys in Jimmy’s second draft in 1990. Wright was drafted because of his 4.4 speed and nothing else. He was fast, but as the old sayings go, “He couldn’t catch a cold”, or “Couldn’t play dead in a western movie”. Fast doesn’t make you a football player. Wright’s best year as a Cowboy was his first, when he caught 11 passes. Was traded to the raiders in ‘92.
There are many more infamous overrated pet cats. Who’s on your list?
Qb Henson

Praxit

Reaction score
....Trysten Hill next Randy White.. ;)..
giphy.gif

blueblood70

Reaction score
Pet Cat is a good term when used correctly. An unknown player who can surprise, just watch and see.

Calling Lamb or Diggs a pet cat just isn’t correct usage. Calling Robinson a pet cat is correct usage.

Maybe I just like the term because I like cats.
agreed

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Same as any term that gets used and then catches on.

Don't beat around the bush.
Chip on his shoulder.
Call it a night.
Cut me some slack.
Cold feet.
Bite the bullet.
Get out of hand.
Missed the boat.
Let her off the hook.
Once in a blue moon.

Just idioms. You should look up what an idiom is and study some of them, and then you wouldn't have a problem w/ "pet cat".

All of those idioms you listed are used nationally if not internationally in many things outside of sports, but as I said before in 60 years of following the NFL and MLB and the NBA I've never ever heard or read anything from a national sportswriter or broadcaster using the term pet cat referring to any kind of players. Now londonboy first said it might predate sports and then said he heard it 40 years ago in a cricket match. Even though cricket isn't a major sport it is considered a sport in England. That being said I find it hard to believe what he said when he contradicts himself. Now if you want to claim pet cat as a idiom I'll accept that when I hear nation sports media use it on a regular basis. I don't accept it when it's only used on one site after some user here decided to start it.

Londonboy

Reaction score
All of those idioms you listed are used nationally if not internationally in many things outside of sports, but as I said before in 60 years of following the NFL and MLB and the NBA I've never ever heard or read anything from a national sportswriter or broadcaster using the term pet cat referring to any kind of players. Now londonboy first said it might predate sports and then said he heard it 40 years ago in a cricket match. Even though cricket isn't a major sport it is considered a sport in England. That being said I find it hard to believe what he said when he contradicts himself. Now if you want to claim pet cat as a idiom I'll accept that when I hear nation sports media use it on a regular basis. I don't accept it when it's only used on one site after some user here decided to start it.
How have I contradicted Myself?
I know that it's over 40 years old because that's when I 1st heard it, it could date to the 16th century or it could be far more modern I don't know and it may or may not be sports specific, again, I don't know, what I do know for certain is that it predates the internet and therefore this forum.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
G, I think you’ve clearly established you haven’t heard of the term pet cat. Well, now you have. I learn something every day on this site I didn’t know. Learning is fun!
:thumbup: