Your Childhood Heroes You Miss?

lukin2006

Reaction score
Emmett Smith is another hero I miss. Not quit a childhood hero, but I really miss him. I love his smile, enthusiasm and commitment to be the best. What a champion and a great person. If Zeke becomes 80% of the ES package we will be alright.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know what I could use? Some modern day heroes, I am in need and they're in short supply. I need some ammo to fight this ever strengthening cynicism.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My Grandfather. I have spoke of him on this board a few times, over the years. WWII he fought in Europe, Africa. Buldge, Anzio, Normandy, Market Garden, across the Ardennes Valley all the way to Berlin. He fought in Korea, he got out of the service, he was sent to MIT, he worked at White Sands and Los Alamos on some of the very first Missile Guidance Systems. He was a stone cold killer, he was extremely intelligent, he was mean as snake but he was also generous, he was brave, he loved his family and he served his country without a complaint. He was an alcoholic and I believe he used it to deal with PTSD, although nobody new what PTSD was in those days. He was married to only one women, he had 11 Children, untold numbers of Grandchildren and he died poor. But he showed me what it means to love your family above all else, even when they don't always show you that kind of love in return. He taught me about the Constellations, about how important IT would be and what kind of roll it would play in the future. He taught me how to play Chess, how to cook coffee in a pan, how to start a fire to cook it, how to use those same coffee grounds for a rub for your steak.

I miss him every day......

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Miss watching Magic Johnson play basketball when he was in his prime. It was quite a show.

That's true. I have to admit, I miss watching Magic and Larry go at it in the finals. It's like you knew you were watching something special and that when it was over, you would never see it again.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My Grandfather. I have spoke of him on this board a few times, over the years. WWII he fought in Europe, Africa. Buldge, Anzio, Normandy, Market Garden, across the Ardennes Valley all the way to Berlin. He fought in Korea, he got out of the service, he was sent to MIT, he worked at White Sands and Los Alamos on some of the very first Missile Guidance Systems. He was a stone cold killer, he was extremely intelligent, he was mean as snake but he was also generous, he was brave, he loved his family and he served his country without a complaint. He was an alcoholic and I believe he used it to deal with PTSD, although nobody new what PTSD was in those days. He was married to only one women, he had 11 Children, untold numbers of Grandchildren and he died poor. But he showed me what it means to love your family above all else, even when they don't always show you that kind of love in return. He taught me about the Constellations, about how important IT would be and what kind of roll it would play in the future. He taught me how to play Chess, how to cook coffee in a pan, how to start a fire to cook it, how to use those same coffee grounds for a rub for your steak.

I miss him every day......
Makes me wish I'd known one of my grandfathers.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Makes me wish I'd known one of my grandfathers.

Makes me try to live up to a standard and I'll be honest with you, it doesn't really matter if I can or I can't. What matters is that in that effort, it makes me a better person. That's really what a hero is to me. It's not an athlete or a politician or a celebrity. Doesn't have to be a War Hero or really anybody who is gifted with something you may not posses personally. It's a person in your life that you can see and that can see you. Somebody who cares enough about you to take an interest and try to set an example of what is good for you.

Tell the truth, I wished you had too. That's enough for me, I've said my piece.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Makes me try to live up to a standard and I'll be honest with you, it doesn't really matter if I can or I can't. What matters is that in that effort, it makes me a better person. That's really what a hero is to me. It's not an athlete or a politician or a celebrity. Doesn't have to be a War Hero or really anybody who is gifted with something you may not posses personally. It's a person in your life that you can see and that can see you. Somebody who cares enough about you to take an interest and try to set an example of what is good for you.

Tell the truth, I wished you had too. That's enough for me, I've said my piece.
And you said it well.